Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania

Old 4th August 2014, 02:37 AM   #1
A. G. Maisey

Default Jimmy Brown

What has Jimmy Brown got to do with what is shown here?

That's a question for those of you who like riddles.

Anyway, here are three bells.

All attributed to the Majapahit era, all found in the same trove, along with some weapons that unfortunately had rusted very badly and caused staining to the bells. One bell is badly damaged and had been scraped by the finder who thought he might have found gold, the small round bell is corroded and holed on the other side, one bell is close to perfect
Attached Images

A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 03:34 AM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

"I sell the morning paper, Sir ....."
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 04:15 AM   #3
A. G. Maisey

--- The Newsboy?

Original & Great Carter Family?

Doc, Sara, Maybelle?

Written by Bill Hays in the 1870's, recorded by the Carter Family 1928-29?

Or do you prefer Flatt & Scruggs?

No, sorry Rick.

Here's a hint:- Jean Nicot
Old 4th August 2014, 02:32 PM   #4
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

I'll check on that hint, Alan .
I just figured that the alternative title of that song, Three Bells, was the answer you had in mind .
As much as I love the Carter family, I love Lester and Earl more .

Back to the drawing board .

edit:

Okay, I think I've got it figured out now .
Or maybe not .
Different songs, same person's name ?

Last edited by Rick; 4th August 2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 5th August 2014, 01:11 AM   #5
A. G. Maisey

Yep, different songs, same name.

Here's another hint:-

Edith Piaf.

~~~~~~~~~~

Yeah, Lester & Earl are legendary, but they came along in the late 1940's, after WWII, the Carters came out of West Virginia in the late 1920's and that was a different time and place. Lester & Earl showed us how technically great this music form can be, but the Carters brought much of the West Virginia sound of a previous generation into the popular arena, and it hits you right in the guts. As you know Rick, I live in The Land of Oz, but I grew up listening to The Carters and Jimmy Rodgers, and I guess I've never advanced much past that.
Old 5th August 2014, 01:24 AM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Cool

Yes Alan, those two Good Old Boys were slicker than snot; can't deny that .
I think we have discussed the N.G. Dirt Band discs which many of those old timey folks appeared on; good recordings .

Now as for the two French Folks that you mentioned as hints; I will let someone else have a go at that: I've had my shot and wound up on a lee shore .
Old 5th August 2014, 02:53 AM   #7
A. G. Maisey

Yep. Good stuff.

Re Jimmy, I reckon you'd have to be pretty close, but maybe somebody else might like to have a go --- at least that'll tell us how many people have any interest in music.
Old 5th August 2014, 04:30 AM   #8
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Yep, different songs, same name.

Here's another hint:-

Edith Piaf.

~~~~~~~~~~

Yeah, Lester & Earl are legendary, but they came along in the late 1940's, after WWII, the Carters came out of West Virginia in the late 1920's and that was a different time and place. Lester & Earl showed us how technically great this music form can be, but the Carters brought much of the West Virginia sound of a previous generation into the popular arena, and it hits you right in the guts. As you know Rick, I live in The Land of Oz, but I grew up listening to The Carters and Jimmy Rodgers, and I guess I've never advanced much past that.
Ah oui!! Les Trois Cloches ??
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 05:10 AM   #9
A. G. Maisey

Yep.

Edith Piaf released it in the early 1950's, then The Browns did an English language version released in the late 1950's.

I believe it was written by a Frenchman at the end of WWII and there was an English version by some group in the late 1940's that never took off.

It is the life story of Everyman.

It was also known as "Jimmy Brown" but that caused confusion with the song Rick and I were talking about which was written by Bill Hays in the 19th century,and is a Blue Grass standard, so it firmed up as "The Three Bells" --- and that's what is shown in this post:- three bells.

Can't get too serious about things. Makes life boring.
Old 5th August 2014, 04:52 PM   #10
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Default Puzzled

Okay, I'll take that; but what is the connection with Jean Nicot ?
Yes, I know I am a dull fellow .

[reaches for dunce cap]

Anyway, here's one you might like .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1fCDDpWenM

Last edited by Rick; 5th August 2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 5th August 2014, 11:04 PM   #11
A. G. Maisey

Well, you see, Jean Nicot was really Jimmy Brown. When the song was anglicised Jean became Jimmy.

The writer of this song was French, and one day he was wandering through a graveyard and he saw Nicot's headstone, and at the same time he heard church bells, he was struck by the thought that our lives are marked by the church bells for birth (christening), marriage and death (funeral) :- the three bells. So he went home and sat down at his piano and wrote "Les Trois Cloches" :- the story of all of us. Apparently the English language version that was the one that made it popular was a very abbreviated and altered version of the original, but it still tells the story, maybe only in precis.

This is as it was told to me, and I thought I'd make a riddle out of the rather boring posting of some Mojo era bronze, so I tested "Three Bells + Jean Nicot " on Dr. Google and he gave me over 100,000 answers. As I said, you were close Rick, if you'd asked Dr. Google he would have told you.

Yep, there's not a bad track on that album, and this one is technically very, very good, but the atypical "Both Sides Now" ---dunno how that ever made it into the mix --- is possibly one of my favourites, along with "--- Blue Eyes" and one of the all-time greats "Wabash Cannonball" ---first song I ever learnt at about age four. Like I said, I grew up on this stuff. But I prefer the Carters cut of Wabash:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMiU_aknPDA

and here's another great railroad song:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3H_TLmsQUo

and don't nobody try to tell us that ain't ethno-graphic, this music is a blossom of a great culture. So is this:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzhyVwkmjKw

This lady is perhaps the best of the female kroncong singers --- others would argue with me --- the song was almost an anthem of the Indonesian freedom movement.
Old 6th August 2014, 12:23 AM   #12
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Now that is interesting.
Gilles was born in Montreaux 1895 yet Jimmy Brown the Newsboy was written in the 1870's .
Fascinating coincidence .
Old 6th August 2014, 04:27 AM   #13
A. G. Maisey

Yeah, I guess there's a bit of coincidence there, both songs relate back to the 19th century.

Jimmy Brown the Newsboy was written by Bill Hays (Dr. Google tells me his name was "William Shakespeare Hays) and published in about 1875.
The Carter Family did an adaptation written by Doc Carter (Dr. Google again) in about 1928.

Les Trois Cloches was written by Jean Villard, AKA Jean Gilles in 1940 and he was Swiss, not French, and Edith Piaf did it in 1946. Jean Villard/Gilles was born in 1895. (Dr. Google clarified all that for me, I was running on memory before)

I apologise for not being precisely correct with my previous information, but I was running on memory and what I wrote is broadly correct I think.