Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st December 2010, 01:59 AM   #1
RSWORD

Default Interesting Katar with chiseled blade for comment

I wanted to share an example of a most unusual katar from my collection. What is unusual about this piece is the chiseled blade. I cannot find another example anywhere with such a blade. I am interested if anyone else has seen or has an example with such a blade. I appreciate any thoughts or comments you might have.
Attached Images

RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 02:05 AM   #2
CharlesS

Very nice!

Never seen anything like it either.

I can only imagine what it must have been like with all the original koftgari.

Stunning!
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 03:23 AM   #3
laEspadaAncha

A quick look through Elgood's chapter on katars didn't turn up anything even remotely similar.

But would that simply indicate it's not from Tanjore? The chiseling does however seem to resemble the piercing on the sidebars of many of the katars from Tanjore. Either way, it's visually stunning...
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 04:15 AM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

Naw, it's a piece of junk. I'll take it off your hands.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 05:39 AM   #5
Anandalal N.

Lovely piece. It is a double row of parrots (See distinct beak shape, tarsus and toes in the distinct gripping shape of a passerine and long tail that supports it in perching); which are very much part of Hindu iconography (though not exclusively so) and is the direction I would look in. Would like to know what you find.

Regards.
Anandalal N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 09:57 AM   #6
Jens Nordlunde

Yes, it is a very nice katar, and yes it is a double row of parrots. What does the side guards look like?
In the book The Nasser Khalili Collection of Islamic Art - The Arts of War by David Alexander a katar with a pierced blade is shown on page 191 #125. In the middle of the blade is an enamelled cypress tree.
Jens
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 12:31 PM   #7
RSWORD

Thanks for the feedback thusfar. Jens, thank you for a reference to another example of a pierced katar blade. I don't have that reference yet but the example you quote sounds quite nice. The side bars on this example are quite plain. I suspect the blade is much older than the handle. Interesting thoughts on the parrot. My first thought was that these were peacocks.
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 04:35 PM   #8
Sajen

Not my field of collecting but this is an outstanding piece, just beautiful!

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 06:43 PM   #9
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

ITS GREAT TO SEE SOMETHING I HAVE NOT SEEN BEFORE. ITS A BEAUTIFUL ITEM AND THE WORKMANSHIP EXCELLENT. CONGRADULATIONS!
THE ONLY QUESTION THAT RISES IS WHY DID THEY GO TO THE TROUBLE OF CARVING THE PARROTS WHERE THEY ARE COVERED BY THE GAURD ATTACHMENTS? IT WEAKENS THE ATTACHMENT AS WELL AS COVERS THE ART.
PERHAPS THE BLADE WAS LONGER IN THE PAST AND THE HANDLE ADDED LATER TO A SHORTENED BLADE. ARE THERE OTHER FORMS OF DAGGER, SHORT SWORD OR SPEAR WITH THE KATAR SHAPED BLADES THAT OFTEN HAVE THIS SORT OF DECORATION AND WORKMANSHIP.?
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 08:11 PM   #10
KuKulzA28

I don't know too much about katars but that one is beautiful!

But... my gut feeling is that it was owned by a rich man who maybe did not fight often with it... after-all, with all the decorations and carving... getting the flesh out of the holes, chiseled parts, and furrows will take more maintenance than a "normal" katar, hehehe... or perhaps being a rich man he had more time/servants for such things?

I don't know...
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2011, 01:36 AM   #11
archer

Default Nice Katar

Hi, What's, not to like about your unique Katar. I think the parrot motives have been stated elsewhere as 18th century. Here are three pierced parrot motive sheaths but the associated blades are not pierced. Beware the design is addictive. Steve
Attached Images

archer is offline   Reply With Quote