Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th May 2009, 07:21 PM   #1
archer

Default Watchmans Club

Hi, I was told this has a dual function As the night guards (Sentry) pillow. Pointed end in the ground and watchman can lay back with his neck in the crook. It would keep me awake not sure it's restful. no, I haven't tried it. Secondary use as a club. Story is it was used in New Guinea Highlands. Anyway a clubs a club.
Anybody seen anything like it?
Attached Images

archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 07:46 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Any dimentions? My first impressions are that it may be a tool.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 04:35 AM   #3
fearn

Somehow, I don't think any of the highlanders are pencil-necked geeks, and that's about the only person I can see using that as a pillow.

Neat club, or whatever it is, though. Perhaps it has a belaying pin as a granduncle, or something.

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2009, 06:26 AM   #4
archer

Default Club

It's 27 inches long about 2 lbs. It has some puncture designs just below the Batman head. Most of the wear is at the pointed end. Strangely clubs from that area have sharp pointed handles, a bit difficult to hang onto so maybe they also threw them too. If used for digging yam the upper part would be smoother.

While we're clubbing, your thoughts on the second one it's twenty inches long the sides are blade like and would cause severe damage.
Attached Images

Old 7th May 2009, 07:51 AM   #5
Tim Simmons

I wonder wether the first item post in this thread might be a roach for straightening spears and arroows? The second one. there is little doubt what it is for. Nice too.
Old 8th May 2009, 05:32 AM   #6
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

THE ONLY CLUBS WITH TWO PRONGS ON THE END FROM THE NEW GUINEA REGION I KNOW OF ARE FROM THE TIWI ISLANDS. THE ONES I HAVE SEEN USUALLY HAVE ABORIGINAL DESIGNS PAINTED ON THEM AND DO NOT HAVE THE SHARP DAGGER LIKE HANDLE. THE TWO TIWI ISLANDS ( MELVILLE AND BATHURST)ARE LOCATED NORTH OF DARWIN AUSTRALIA SO FAIRLY CLOSE TO NEW GUINEA. I AM PRETTY SURE YOURS IS NOT FROM THE TIWI IS. BUT AT LEAST THE DESIGN IS NOT UNKNOWN IN THE AREA.
YOUR ITEM LOOKS MORE LIKE A DAGGER THAN A CLUB BUT COULD ALSO SERVE AS A CLUB OR A STAKE TO TETHER SMALLER ANIMALS OR MARK A YAM PATCH. IT DOES APPEAR TO SHOW GOOD AGE AND USE AND IS DEFINITELY NOT A TOURIST ITEM WHATEVER IT MAY BE. I DO DOUBT IT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH SLEEPING UNLESS YOU WERE HIT OVER THE HEAD WITH IT, BUT CERTIANLY NOT A SUITABLE PILLOW.
THE ONLY OTHER AREA WHERE THE TWO PRONGED STRIKING END OF A CLUB IS MADE THAT I AM AWARE OF IS SOUTH AMERICAN INDIAN. SOME HAVE A V-SHAPE END SORT OF LIKE A FISH TAIL AND I HAVE ONE SIMULAR TO YOURS BUT WITHOUT THE SHARP DAGGER LIKE HANDLE. IT IS ALSO QUITE HEAVY AND LONG ENOUGH TO MAKE A GOOD CLUB.
THE STONE HEADED CLUB LOOKS LIKE A REAL GOODIE PERHAPS A GOOD CLOSE PICTURE OF THE STONE HEAD FROM THE TOP PLEASE!

HERE IS A PICTURE OF SOMETHING SIMULAR FROM NORTHERN QUEENSLAND THESE ARE FIGHTING CLUBS SO PERHAPS YOURS IS A NEW GUINEA VARIATION OF THIS.
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 07:08 AM   #7
archer

Default response

The pillow thing was to allow a sentry rest lying down but stay awake all night.
Tim, the spear straightener idea is possible. Vandoo, please check My piha post on the 6th. Red handle material ? I think you said you had a similar one. Key board problems are making typing impossible. Thanks Stone club not mine.

I have some NG clubs, i'll post soon.
Old 8th May 2009, 03:38 PM   #8
archer

Default Clubs, Adzes, axes

Vandoo, This is the view of another type of attachment, it got away but got me started,as did an early documentary about some Australian brothers who flew a trimotor plane into the highlands. for the most part the mounted clubs are always too pricey. Here are what i've accumulated. the thought of this adze tool still in use in the early 20th century caused another interest. Wish I could remember the Name of the documentary to get a copy. thanks, Steve
Attached Images

Old 8th May 2009, 05:51 PM   #9
Tim Simmons

Default Great thread!

What a fabulous collection of adze and axes. Beautiful stone especially the long greenish one, a close up would be nice. The PNG customs have a ban on the export of stone axe heads pre 1960 to retain there cultral heritage. So to have real ones is to be rather lucky. The stone on the large ceremonial axe is ground most carefully that shows an appriecation of fine things. The weapon axe is a scary thing, the blade is stout finely made and strong. A blow from a weapon like this would inflict terrible wounds being able to penetrate and crush at the same time.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 8th May 2009 at 06:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 9th May 2009, 12:55 AM   #10
archer

Default response

Thank you, Tim I like the disc club you have, so far, they evade me. I've included pictures of the green one as requested. The quarrying of this jade like stone by using fire and the the labor intensive shaping and polishing in a river with water and sand must have taken a long time. A couple of photos about methods used in showing stone working.

Any thoughts, on the Malaita-like club? or the stone bowl being a form of club head or definitely just a bowl? Most of these came from European countries. But they have definitely started up cottage shops to make new ones.
Attached Images

Old 9th May 2009, 08:12 AM   #11
Tim Simmons

Lovely stones, that mottled one is just wonderful. The stone bowl may be a paint bowl. A nice thing. Before the arrival of mobern industrial powder paints, paint would have been very high value and status material and the range of colours very much more limited than we see at singsings today. Anymore to show?