Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th April 2008, 05:04 AM   #1
Beraswutah

Default Salam from a newbie :)

Dear all

Greetings all, my name is Dana from Indonesia.

Ever since in Elementary School, edge weaponry had captured my heart and soul.

I get my first proper weapon (a golok-style knife) from a famous indonesian knife maker Mr. Teddy S Kardin at the age of 8...however, the blade was designed to have a very "fat" edge which make it virtually impossible to be sharpened. ( this happened since Mr. Kardin thinks that im too young to have a full edge weapon...hahaha)

Fast forward to 2002...Sometimes in May, my extended family held a special meeting, organizing who would carry on to take care of our family pusaka (or heirlooms) since my grand uncle and aunties decided now its time to pass on the pusaka to the younger generations.

Well, the truth is at that time, I dont know that my family had any pusaka ! (since in our numerous family meetings we rarely talk any of it...well maybe the older folks mention it among themselves while im busy in the kitchen...eating...hahaha)

however, in my mind i was saying to myself " well..as a typical Javanese family, its uncommon to have few keris or tombak"

i approached my great uncle, asking exactly how many pusaka do we need to take care of...

he answers..."well...around 60 keris here...few dozens there...plus the additional tombak, swords...to name a few..."

"why...are you interested?"
"go ahead if you want to, we're really happy if you wanted to take care of these pusaka"

Thats how i fell in love in keris....

mind you, im a truly newbie...only know few pamor or dapur...

so here i am, introducing myself to all...really happy to learn..

salam

-Dana-
Beraswutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 03:02 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

Welcome Dana !!
Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 03:05 PM   #3
kronckew

Wa alaikum assalam wa rahmatu Allah

welcome aboard, the more members we have here to preserve knowledge and respect, the better we all are, and the richer is the world we leave to the future.

if you get a chance, any pictures you may be able to share will add to the legacy of shared information.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 02:01 AM   #4
ferrylaki

Welcome Dana.
It always nice to see a newbie in keris world.
your name remind me to my old friend in Jogja.

FERRYLAKI
Jakarta
ferrylaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 04:20 AM   #5
Beraswutah

This keris isnt my family's heirloom, but my cousin's collection.

The pamor is putri kinurung, from Majapahit era, made in Tuban region. The Majapahit details can be seen from the iron which was dark-blue.

The pamor also form an andhap luhur, which meant that the pamor on each side is reversed. On one side, the pamor started from the bottom-up, while on the other, it started from top to bottom.

it has a very good balance too, as it may stand both on the bilah and the ukiran. Suprisingly, as a tuban keris, it was quite heavy too.

For more detailed pictures of this keris and some of our (me and my cousins) other collection, please visit beraswutah.blogspot.com - a small online gallery we put up to attract young Indonesian youth to love and preserve our national (and UNESCO acknowledge) heritage

salam
Attached Images

Old 2nd May 2008, 05:14 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beraswutah
This keris isnt my family's heirloom, but my cousin's collection.
Hi Dana. Please forgive me for taking so long to welcome you to the forum.
Nice keris your cousin has. Thank you for showing it and thank your cousin as well for allowing it.
I wouldn't expect you to show your family pusaka here, but if you do decide to might i be so assuming as to suggest that you check in with your relatives and elders first before doing so. Some would consider it a bit of a taboo and i wouldn't want to see you anger any of your family or the spirits.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 01:19 AM   #7
Beraswutah

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I wouldn't expect you to show your family pusaka here, but if you do decide to might i be so assuming as to suggest that you check in with your relatives and elders first before doing so. Some would consider it a bit of a taboo and i wouldn't want to see you anger any of your family or the spirits.
sure do david.

to post any pusaka belonged to my family would require lots and lost and lots of blessings from my elders, and think i would not post any pusaka any time soon.

all keris that i planned to post will surely had the full blessing and approval of the owner.

so happy that a foreigner had an intimate knowledge of pusaka...i could say that not may javanese know how to properly respecting and taking care of pusaka.

cheers
Old 9th May 2008, 02:53 PM   #8
karset

Smile hello dana,,

glad to see u here. are u life in same city with " T.Kardin" wrokshop ?.
My home just 5 minute from there.
karset is offline   Reply With Quote