FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd March 2005, 04:00 AM   #1
drzzzzz

Default Help

How do you submit a photo?
drzzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 04:42 AM   #2
tom hyle

I know nothing of photography or computers, but if you check the second "sticky" thread down on this forum, the one about forum rules/guidelines/etc. you'll find some directions that may help you.
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 06:30 AM   #3
drzzzzz

Default photo problem

I need to show and get feedback of very usual sword I have collected...but I dont know how to submit photo to this forum...help pls...
Old 23rd March 2005, 07:40 AM   #4
Andrew

Welcome to the forum.

As Tom indicated in your other thread, try reading the thread stuck to the top of the forum that says: "PLEASE READ".

Quote:
DIRECT IMAGE UPLOADING from your computer to the server is now available in the form of ‘attachments’. The pictures will not show when you are composing your posts, but may be checked in the preview mode, where they show at the bottom of the post. You may include up to 10 images per post. You are encouraged to use this mechanism in order to maximize the archival integrity of the forum.

Images which may be uploaded to the server include .jpeg (or .jpg), .png, .gif and .bmp. The width of the image must be 640 pixels or less in width and 1280 pixels or less in height or the image will be rejected. A maximum file size constraint of 200 kb is also in effect. If you do not have means to resize images within these constraints, you may e-mail them to ljones@vikingsword.com. The resized images will be returned in due course by e-mail for you to use in your posting.

The old image tags as used to link to images in the UBB software are still supported for images you maintain on your own software.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 10:16 AM   #5
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by drzzzzz
I need to show and get feedback of very usual sword I have collected...but I dont know how to submit photo to this forum...help pls...
Is this a digital image or a paper photo?
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 04:12 PM   #6
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
Is this a digital image or a paper photo?
This would be a digital photo. If you only have a paper photo, you would need to scan it and save as an electronic file.

In the event you cannot scan it, I do not know if paper photos are accepted (you would have to mail it to a moderator to be scanned and posted).
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 05:02 PM   #7
Jens Nordlunde

Would it be possible to show some screens on the forum, to make sure that newcomers understand the whole thing?

Jens
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 05:13 PM   #8
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
Would it be possible to show some screens on the forum, to make sure that newcomers understand the whole thing?

Jens
Not sure what you mean Jens .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 06:00 PM   #9
wolviex

Exclamation Help

Here comes the cavalry with help

1. Make a picture. To be honest it's not so easy, and probably it's the hardest of the steps.

2. If you have digital camera there's no problem to download a picture on your local hard disc, if it's a paper, scan it.

3. Make sure your picture's resolution isn't bigger then 800x600 pixels, and the size isn't bigger then 200kb (1/5 of MB) . If it is, especially after downloading it from digital camera or after scanning, you need to resize it. Make a copy of a picture, if you don't want to loose or destroy it. Then use any graphic program: photoshop, ACDSee, or free one like Gimp or InfraView. Every one should have somewhere the option that let you resize the picture (sometimes it's called "picture size", "resize", etc.). If you can't do it, send an email to forum staff, for example: to Andrew or Rick, with description.

4. If you have a picture resized, just start the thread or quote someone, or just post reply - you can do it already . Then you'll see a window:

5. Scroll down and choose Manage Attachments:

6. You'll see next window, where you can browse your hard disc, find a picture (s) and choose UPLOAD (My windows is in Polish version, so instead "Przegladaj" you will see "Browse" probably ):

7. When the picture is accepted, you'll see listed it below the browse windows, if it's not (because of size, or wrong extension) you'll see information above the browse windows.

8. Close the window and Submit Reply. Have a fun!

Regards!
wolviex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 06:37 PM   #10
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Wolviex:

That's a neat thing you did with the screen shots. You also managed to do something I have not been able to achieve on this forum, and that is to intersperse text and graphics. How did you do that?

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 06:50 PM   #11
Andrew

Ian, those are screen captures (not sure exactly how that's done, however) that Wolviex hosted on Photobucket.

You'll need to host and link your photos if you want to insert text, as the forum software will attach photos to the bottom of a post by default.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 07:05 PM   #12
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default thanks Andrew

I just figured that out. Sometimes I'm a little slower than others!!!

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 07:21 PM   #13
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
Ian, those are screen captures (not sure exactly how that's done, however) that Wolviex hosted on Photobucket.

You'll need to host and link your photos if you want to insert text, as the forum software will attach photos to the bottom of a post by default.
One way to do a screen capture is to press "print screen," then go to the Windows Paint accessory and do a paste. Voila! There may be other ways, and you may be able to paste into other programs, but I've never tried it.

Great tutorial, Wolviex!
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 07:33 PM   #14
Yannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolviex
3. Make sure your picture's resolution isn't bigger then 800x600 pixels, and the size isn't bigger then 200kb (1/5 of MB)
Actually 800x600 is wrong because we use [width]x[height]. True is maximum 640 (width) x 1280 (height).

Dimensions are not the only matter. We use different resolution for printed material and screen. Here we are interest about screen resolution so we use 72 dpi or 96 dpi. (DPI or LPI is dots per inch or pixels per inch).

A normal scanner or digital camera takes the picture in more than 150 DPI so we have to reduce this also to have a size under 200mb for uploading. In InfanView and other image editors dimensions and resolution are in the same window, so when you resize check DPI or LPI to be 96.

Finally there is another way to change image size. Use “save as”  “.jpg” and in final window lower the quality to 80%. Of course lower quality is the last option if you want a clear picture.

To see if a picture is under 200mb we right click on the icon of it and we choose “properties”.
Yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 10:13 PM   #15
drzzzzz

Talking

thx for info....ill be sending photo shortly...
Old 24th March 2005, 08:36 AM   #16
Conogre

VERY well done tutorial, Wolviex.
drzzzzz, if you still have problems, just e-mail the photos to me or one of the other members that you may know and I'm sure it can be popped in in a jiffy.
There was a time when I did it on a regular basis, to the point that I was worried about Rick and Ed taking out a contract on me! **grin**
They, of course, were always proper gentlemen, but still felt like a real pain in the posterior.
Mike
Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2005, 01:42 PM   #17
Bill

Can someone explain the clarity of some of the pics on this forum. They seem to have more resolution than would be allowed. Is there a rule of thumb as to the MP of the digital camera, for instance, would a 6MP be to large & need to be reduced?
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2005, 02:51 PM   #18
Yannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Is there a rule of thumb as to the MP of the digital camera, for instance, would a 6MP be to large & need to be reduced?
Bill
MP is not the only important thing when you take digital photos. You need also good lenses to capture a good image. I usually take pictures for internet use in just 3MP.
When you take photos of edged weapons you need a camera with good macro capabilities for the close ups.
A tripod is essential so you can use low speed and depth of field.
Daylight is better than artificial.
Finally you have to be careful when you resize, change resolution or save a jpg file because every time you do that the quality drops down. For every step of editing a picture it is better to start from the original photo.
Yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2005, 03:31 PM   #19
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

I find Photoshop's 'unsharp mask' feature to be very helpful in reducing large jpeg files while retaining good detail .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote