Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 4th June 2019, 06:35 PM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default On the Flyssa

The recent discussion re: telek arm daggers from Algerian regions has reminded me of other Berber weapons from Algeria, namely the 'flyssa' of the Kabyles tribes.

It seems that there was some confusion in Stone (1934, p.234, fig. 291) when he listed the flyssa as the national sword of Morocco. As obviously the Kabyles are known from the Kabylia regions of Algeria, particularly the Iflysen tribe, for which the 'flyssa' was named by the French.

I once found an explanation for this apparent misplacement in the Stone reference suggesting that the Kabyles seem to have largely followed the Sunni Malakite rite, which was primarily situated in Morocco. While this is an interesting, if not tenuous explanation, I admit I have not pursued it further.
I did find however, that there are 'Kabyles' situated in the Atlas regions of Morocco, but whether the flyssa existed with these groups unknown.
(see PHOTO #1, the Atlas range extends from the Djurdjura range to the west into Morocco).
There have been notable diasporas of the Kabyle people out of Algerian regions rather constantly even into recent times due to conflicts.

This is but one of the mysteries of these distinct sword/knives of the Kabyles in Algerian regions we term 'flyssa'.
The most prevalent is, what weapon influenced its form, and when?

According to the landmark work on these:
" Sabres Kabyles" by Camille Lacoste-Dujardin (1958)
in 'Journal de la Societe des Africanistes" XXVIII

the earliest record of the 'flyssa' was one presented by the consul of Algeria to Spanish King Ferdinand VII in 1827. This example is seen in "Spanish Arms and Armor" (Calvert, 1907) listed as item 1604. Here it is listed as a 'gourma' (dagger) while #1580, a yataghan is listed as dagger of Kabyles.
More labeling problems.....but clearly 1604 is the flyssa.

This interesting mislabel does however suggest the strong similarity between the two forms.

Apparently the flyssa is still in the Armeria Real in Spain as item G170. (PHOTO #3)

PHOTO #2:
In "Armi Bianchi Italiene" (Boccia & Coelho, 1975) item #774 is a dagger said to be from Naples, with date 1774 on blade. This item is remarkably flyssa like, and the date is of course provocative. It seems clear this form existed well before the 1827 mark in the previous event.
It has been suggested the straight deep belly blade yataghan of late 16th-17th may be the influence through the Ottomans, but remains speculative.

What seems key on flyssas is the range of their size (PHOTO #4) Recently this variation in size was in question as they can range from dagger size, to rather lengthy versions. While the main decorative theme seems somewhat Byzantine with talismanic value devices entwined, there seem to be more individualistic devices and symbols in the upper part of the blade.
This, as well as the dramatic variation in size, probably owes to the idea that these are essentially a young mans personal rite of passage weapon, and were custom made to each in degree.

It has never, as far as I have known, been agreed on just how these flyssa were used, at least the sword types and of notable length. These are terribly balanced, and the relatively small unsupported and unguarded grip seem difficult if not unlikely for use in action.

While I have placed most of this as a sort of synopsis of our present knowledge on the flyssa, I would welcome thoughts ,ideas, examples on some of the aspects I have mentioned.
Beyond that I simply wanted to illustrate the flyssa as yet another key weapon in the Saharan regions along with the telek and s'boula.
There are others as well of course, but these have been most currently discussed.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 4th June 2019 at 06:48 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote