Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 10th June 2019, 11:15 AM   #1
Hombre

Default India?

Got this knife in a lot and wonder what it can be...
Just a tourist piece or....
Any opinion at all very much appreciated....

Best regards,
Stefan
Sweden
Attached Images

Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2019, 02:15 AM   #2
Bob A

Quite the nondescript species of knife, apparently . . . 80 views without an opinion.

Merely from the treatment of the crossguard, I'm put in mind of something Mediterranean.

That's all I got, and it's probably wrong.
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2019, 03:56 AM   #3
Hombre

Thank you for your opinion, Bob A.... I appreciate it!

Best,
Stefan
Sweden
Old 11th June 2019, 06:25 AM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

Not seen anything like this before. Would not say India. European of some kind due to the blade?
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2019, 07:41 AM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Its really hard to identify these 'one off' type knives as they are pretty much custom and draw from varying influences the makers have seen. As noted, the blade is not 'oriental' (Eastern etc. ) but more 'Bowie' like. The wire wrap around the hilt of course recalls Arabian and Persian shamshirs, the alternating quillon terminals recall certain sword bayonet forms. The interesting knife device added is an interesting touch. The pommel very neo classic.

Probably most intriguing is the fish skeleton like motif which seems en suite on blade and grip. This reminds me of such designs in North African knives, i.e. Sudan.
I would think something from American source where imports from 'exotics' were centered, and a maker drew from the many edged weapons seen, East Coast perhaps, with the 'Bowie' type blade, though small obviously, carried the pastiche of design elements. Looks very latter 19th c.
With these kinds of knives, guesswork mostly, but whatever it is, its an incredibly attractive piece!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2019, 03:58 PM   #6
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Always fun to have a modern knife turn up with possible clues as to from where it came. You headed up the post as Indian? Is that a clue or where in fact did you get it?...The pattern on the blade is reflected in the hilt for which I think its origin points at tree of life which could be the vast area of India and or the Silk Road not to mention Arabia or Muslim origins broadly. I will hazard a vast guess ...Afghanistan! I would say Kabul.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2019, 05:27 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Always fun to have a modern knife turn up with possible clues as to from where it came. You headed up the post as Indian? Is that a clue or where in fact did you get it?...The pattern on the blade is reflected in the hilt for which I think its origin points at tree of life which could be the vast area of India and or the Silk Road not to mention Arabia or Muslim origins broadly. I will hazard a vast guess ...Afghanistan! I would say Kabul.
THAT is an excellent observation!!! I had not thought of that 'tree of life' which of course is so often seen on katars/jamadhar.
The same motif with dots on the ends of the lines also reflect similar markings on blades from India in some cases, as well as other Arab oriented weapons.
When I see the 'Bowie' look in the blade, that 'clipped tip' is also a feature on European cavalry sabres.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2019, 05:40 AM   #8
Hombre

Thank you, guys! I really appreciate your opinions! I was guessing India but I really do not know at all. Got the knife in a lot I bought.... I wanted two Bowies in that lot so...

Best,
Stefan
Sweden
Old 17th June 2019, 10:09 AM   #9
kronckew

Brass wire wrap and inlays remind me o the N. African Bou Saadi khodmi's, just dressed up for a night out.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote