Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 26th February 2014, 10:07 PM   #1
carlos

Default Dagger from Philippines OR MEDITERRANEAN Dagger?

This is my last adquisition and the reason I didn,t bid in the matulis of our friend Thepepperskull.
The piece is a dagger that to me isa dagger from Philippines, the seller descript ítem like mediterranean spanish dagger.
Description from the seller

You are viewing a gorgeous dagger that is 13” (33cm) long without the scabbard. The dagger has a finely forged 9” blade with engraving at its base. Both the knife and the scabbard are finely decorated with ornate metalwork. The handle is crafted of horn and has a decorative metal pommel. This wonderful, high quality dagger is in excellent condition

Any information is wellcome.
Thanks in advance
carlos
Attached Images

carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 10:09 PM   #2
carlos

And a few more...
Attached Images

Old 26th February 2014, 10:37 PM   #3
Cthulhu

It's a lovely knife, and nice pictures, too.

An image search on Albacete dagger brings up some similar Spanish knives, but of course there was plenty of Spanish influence in the Philippines. What features of it make you place it there rather than Spain?
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2014, 04:16 PM   #4
carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu
It's a lovely knife, and nice pictures, too.

An image search on Albacete dagger brings up some similar Spanish knives, but of course there was plenty of Spanish influence in the Philippines. What features of it make you place it there rather than Spain?

I have seen anothers daggers from officials of the Philippine army and katipunan similars to this piece, and the markd in the blade too is similar to others daggers.
best regards

carlos
Old 28th February 2014, 12:59 AM   #5
ThePepperSkull

Maybe the more experienced Collectors can chime in here, but Horn and silver is a common motif for Luzon-region philippine daggers. Also, the hilt seems less bulbous than most Alcabete I've seen (admittedly, google is my only experience, hahaha) and more in style with a lot of Spanish-colonial influenced Philipine daggers.

What DOES look different to me from most Luzon pieces is the sheath. Most Luzon pieces are leather instead of hardwood. An exception to this is southern Luzon. For example, the Minasbad, a blade native to the Bicol area, traditionally has a wooden sheath.

Maybe this dagger is Bicolano in origin?
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote