Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th November 2005, 01:41 AM   #1
archer

Default Aero mechanical spear head ??

This spear is diamond shaped in cross section. Oddly it has a concave and a flat surface on each opposing side. Was this done to expidite sharpening or, to cause the spear to rotate like an arrow for stability in flight? In blade close up photo upper half is concave. The spear has only a few inches of wooden shaft and some wrapped leather or bark remaining. There was no socket or stop. Head is 16"oal, 7.5" blade, 7/8" in width. Shaft is 3/8"dia, with shallow crosshatched grooves.

Sold as a P.I. WW2 bring back. Is it from the Phillipines? If not whatis its likely origin, tribe, country, etc.
Attached Images

archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2005, 12:49 PM   #2
Justin

I think this spear is actually African ,the cross section is something I have seen on African spears before and the steel 'ferrule' is also a very African characteristic.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2005, 03:51 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Arrow

I agree with Justin on the origin of the piece .

Also I would think that to cause spin in flight some longitudinal twist would have to be forged in to the head .

Also I would think to induce this spinning action more force/velocity would have to be generated than the Human arm is capable of .
Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2005, 04:57 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

This is a stabbing spear from the south and south central areas of Africa people like the Shona. It was never intended for throwing. The other end would have a flat rounded piece of iron some 4-6 inches long attached the same way as the blade with iron binding to give weight to a thrust and to act as a balance. I am sorry I cannot show you a complete example but other members will I am sure be able to. Tim
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote