Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st January 2010, 02:44 PM   #1
Sajen

Default Unsusual hilt

A collector friend just received this hilt from ivory. Since we both have never seen a hilt like this he asked me if I can post it here to get maybe some more informations about.
Every comment are welcome.
Attached Images

Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 03:58 PM   #2
Marcokeris

Beautiful hit
IMO: Very rare to find . I don't have this hit... and is one of my target everytime i'm in Indonesia.
A similar hit is in the book "Hulu keris" in which the author said it comes from
Yogya ...or Solo area (I don't remember well)
Congraturation
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 07:49 PM   #3
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcokeris
.. A similar hit is in the book "Hulu keris" in which the author said it comes from Yogya ...or Solo area (I don't remember well)..
According to "Hulu Keris", it is said to be a Surakarta abstract piece, a cat devoured by a snake.. but in this case, it looks more like a puppy or a lamb..

What is the significance of the depiction? What does it symbolise?
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 08:16 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

hmmm...i wonder about the age of this piece. I wonder if this isn't a contemporary artists interpretation of a rare older hilt which has then been treated to appear old. I am not familiar with the hilt in Hulu Keris. How old is that one said to be? It should be kept in mind that modern carvers are quite capable of reproducing rare old hilt styles and then presenting them as old with a bit of artificial aging and staining. Is it then a "rare" hilt or merely a copy of one?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 09:48 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
hmmm...i wonder about the age of this piece. I wonder if this isn't a contemporary artists interpretation of a rare older hilt which has then been treated to appear old. I am not familiar with the hilt in Hulu Keris. How old is that one said to be? It should be kept in mind that modern carvers are quite capable of reproducing rare old hilt styles and then presenting them as old with a bit of artificial aging and staining. Is it then a "rare" hilt or merely a copy of one?
Hi David,
I just send a mail to my friend where I asked him if he have informations about the history of this hilt.
Old 1st January 2010, 09:52 PM   #6
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alam Shah
According to "Hulu Keris", it is said to be a Surakarta abstract piece, a cat devoured by a snake.. but in this case, it looks more like a puppy or a lamb..

What is the significance of the depiction? What does it symbolise?
Thank you Alam. This is what we want to know also. The hilt in "Hulu Keris" we know also but unfortunately there is no further background.
Old 1st January 2010, 10:49 PM   #7
Sajen

The former owner of this hilt passed away more than twenty years ago and the family decide some time ago to sell this collection. There are no further informations when and where this hilt is collected, sorry.
Old 2nd January 2010, 02:37 AM   #8
BluErf

Perhaps more information on from where and from whom this hilt is collected from would be helpful.
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2010, 03:16 AM   #9
guwaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
The former owner of this hilt passed away more than twenty years ago and the family decide some time ago to sell this collection. There are no further informations when and where this hilt is collected, sorry.
A common story - and: "Hulu Keris" is not a reference-book for hilts.

I aggree with BluErf:
"Perhaps more information on from where and from whom this hilt is collected from would be helpful."

guwaya
guwaya is offline   Reply With Quote