Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14th November 2015, 07:32 PM   #1
RobertGuy

Default Long Keris

I am new to collecting keris, this being my second example.

The catalogue description was as follows:
19th Century Long Bladed Executioner's Malayan Kris. 22 inch straight double edged blade. Large top forte. Two short chiseled top fullers. Polished horn grip with oval turned in pommel carved with a flower and foliage design. Contained in its wooden scabbard with large throat. Old repair to chape.

The stats are:
Weight, sword: 12oz (0.34kg), in scabbard: 1lb (0.46kg)
Length overall: 26.75'' (68cm) Blade: 22'' (56cm)
POB: 3.5'' (9cm)
Profile taper: 2.43'' (61.7mm) at widest part of ricasso, 0.69'' (17.5mm) just after ricasso 0.67' (17.2mm) mid blade, 0.49'' (12.5mm) 2 inches from tip.
Distal taper 0.56'' (14.6mm) at ricasso, 0.11'' (2.9mm) mid blade. 0.08'' (2mm) 2 inches from tip.

I know that the term Executioner's Keris is misleading but I do have a few other questions. I am not sure if the grip is horn as the slight areas of damage show a strong grain. Is this a characteristic of horn or is ebony or similar wood more likely? I will try and include a close-up picture.
The pamor on the blade is very plain and I gather that this can sometimes indicate an older blade. Can this one be classified and dated?
Finally a general question, the handle orientation seems to vary from keris to keris on the examples I have seen. Is there a reason for this?, is there a standard way to hold a keris or just individual choice and preference? Any information people here can share with a newbie will be gratefully received. Thank you.
Attached Images

RobertGuy is offline   Reply With Quote