Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th February 2005, 01:30 PM   #1
Spunjer

Default Panabas

one of my better finds in manila. the bonus was i just found out yesterday after unwrapping were the talismanic designs (those x's) on the spine. for its size (handle=14", blade=11.5") it's pretty hefty, actually the reason why i bought it; it weighs almost three pounds. lots of panabas in manila but light for its size. couple with okir design on the blade, but again, it felt light. my wife has seen my collection, but for some reason this piece gives her the chills, lol
Attached Images

Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2005, 02:10 PM   #2
Conogre

Nice find and I can see why it might give her chills, as that blade looks to me as if it could almost be described as an "executioner's panabas", with the heavier blade almost intentionally designed for doing what many are/were used for on the spur of the moment.
While somewhat plain, it looks like a no nonsense, serious piece to me and I love it, but be advised I also bought the first AMC Pacer in the state of Michigan!**grin**
You might place it under your bed and see if either of you dream of a particular missionary.
Something else just dawned on me while looking at your photos again....the end of that blade seems to bear a strong resemblance to the "recent" piras that are appearing with some regularity.
Mike

Last edited by Conogre; 24th February 2005 at 02:14 PM. Reason: afterthought
Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2005, 05:35 PM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up Nice one

Hi Spunjer:

You were busy on your trip!

This panabas is not very old, I think, and probably Maranao in origin judging from the decorations on the brass. As you note, there are many light weight versions for sale in Manila that are really made for the tourist trade. But fighting or executioner's forms of the panabas are weapons that you pick up and instantly know that they were meant to cause serious bodily harm to someone. The agricultural forms of panabas are lighter, for obvious reasons, and easily distinguished from the weapons-grade versions.

Some of the older panabas were surprisingly light, partly because they were well balanced with respect to the weight distribution between the blade and handle, and more in the nature of large-bladed swords. But again, these are readily distinguished from the modern reproductions.

The biggest panabas I have is over 4 feet long and weighs about 5.5 lb. The large hilt is swollen at its end and makes up about half the overall length. The blade is massive (nearly 3/4 inch thick at forte), but it is surprisingly "fast" as a two-hander because of its balance.

The one you found seems to be a no nonsense piece, with sturdy construction, and should serve you and your family well in dispensing justice for years to come.

Make sure you keep it in a place of respect and well nourished so it will protect your home (see Cato for details).
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote