Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th November 2013, 04:51 AM   #61
CCUAL

Photos from ebay auction. See photo #3 the ring was cut for internal clamp stirrup.
Attached Images

CCUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 04:35 AM   #62
Battara
EAAF Staff

The only problem with this supposition is that there is absolutely no room for internal fitting because the wood core is too tight against the fittings and there no room either next to the tang (yes I took off the hilt).

I find it more likely that the silver strip bend in a way that part went on top and the other part went up the hilt.

However in general I would agree with you.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 03:38 PM   #63
CCUAL

Honestly, I am with Spunjer on this one, if this kris is not the one on the photo there is a stought possibility that this belongs to datu Piang's
personal collections. The extravagance of materials used in your kris
is superlative that only a well off datu can afford or Piang himself.
In the other hand, this might had belonged to a datu influenced by
Piang or blood related.

I was right behind you on that auction, I kind'da bumped a little for you as I wanted it my self, I had the same thoughts about it. I would keep it as is if that was mine, we just do not know for fact what's behind it. Sweet catch Albovias.

I hope you don't get bored with it right away and start monkeying with it.

Last edited by CCUAL; 10th November 2013 at 02:29 AM.
CCUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 04:36 AM   #64
Battara
EAAF Staff

Here is a picture of what I am talking about: the evidence of a second baka-baka.
Attached Images

Old 12th November 2013, 04:39 AM   #65
Battara
EAAF Staff

And these pictures illustrate evidence of the possibility of another ring - note the cuts in the swassa metal along the lines parallel to the other rings below.
Attached Images

Old 12th November 2013, 04:42 AM   #66
Battara
EAAF Staff

Thus I will try to make a second baka-baka to match the other with metal strips going up the sides. However, I may just leave the top ring alone since it is very tight and I am afraid of breaking it.

Last edited by Battara; 13th February 2014 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12th November 2013, 07:03 AM   #67
Robert
EAAF Staff

Jose, I can easily see the shadow of where the second baka-baka was originally but as to the cut marks in the swassa, they seem too random and I really do not see a pattern or anything else that would indicate that there was another ring (now missing) on the hilt. I hope that you will share photos of the process involved in the making of the new baka-baka and securing strips as well as the finished product.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 02:48 PM   #68
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Thus I will try to make a second baka-baka to match the other with metal strips going up the sides. However, I may just leave the top ring alone since it is very tight and I am afraid of braking it.
José, i know how much you enjoy fiddling with these things, but if this really is or even has a strong possibility of being the historically important kris that we have been talking about here are you SURE you want to make changes to it like that?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 05:00 PM   #69
Robert
EAAF Staff

After re-reading my earlier post I want to make it clear that I am only in favor of replacing parts such as the baka-baka and its retaining straps that have evidence that clearly show it was an original part of the hilt that it is now missing. As to the securing straps that run on the outside of the hilt, (like the ones shown on the other kris) unless there is evidence to show proof positive that these parts were originally on this hilt it is MHO that they should not be added.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 05:16 PM   #70
Horsa

Battara,

Fantastic cleaning job on the Kris. Its a stunning improvement - however it does leave me pondering where the line can be drawn between enhancing antique metal and going too far.

Im under the impression its not recommended to remove the patina of an antique weapon.

Clearly you know what you are doing here.

Always antique weapons are purchased in a less than perfect state.

Where does one draw the line?

Horsa
Horsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 09:32 PM   #71
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsa
Battara,
Fantastic cleaning job on the Kris. Its a stunning improvement - however it does leave me pondering where the line can be drawn between enhancing antique metal and going too far.

Im under the impression its not recommended to remove the patina of an antique weapon. Horsa
In regards to "enhancing antique metal", IMHO tarnish is not the same as patina. Precious metals such as silver and gold (suassa) are meant to shine. Even when i watch the Antique Roadshow they suggest that silver items are meant to be kept in polish. I think José has done a crackerjack job bringing this old weapon up to snuff.
However, were i personally draw the line is at adding on pieces that we assume might have once been there, especially when we are unsure. Firstly we need to ask ourselves if we are really capable of doing the job so that it doesn't look like modern add-on work. Will the materials and craftsmanship perfectly match? I have rarely seen modified antique weapons done by anybody were their modern modifications aren't immediately obvious as such. Secondly there is the history of the piece which i feel should be preserved at all costs. Many kris have just a single baka-baka, perhaps more than have two. I am not clear whether this is simply a matter of taste or style or what. Now IF this is actually the same weapon as the one pictured with Datu Piang then it did indeed seem to have had two baka-baka at one time. But we have no evidence of how or why one of those baka-baka were removed. Was it lost, broken or removed by choice of style? How do we in the modern age then decide if it belongs there or not? IMHO José, the kris looks fine as it is. If it had NO baka-baka at all i could see at least some reason to add one in order to secure the hilt properly, but given the current condition of piece i just wouldn't mess with the history of it. If it truly is Datu Piang's keris that history should be preserved, not enhanced.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 01:22 AM   #72
Battara
EAAF Staff

I will consider these arguments.
Old 4th December 2013, 04:37 AM   #73
Spunjer

ok, a little update:

in a recent conversation i have with Amai Mingka's (Datu Piang) granddaughter, i mentioned this kris. according to the story that was passed on to her by her grandma, Datu Piang has a personal panday in Dulawan (incidentally, that town is now known as Datu Piang). whenever he has a particular weapon made, whether it be kris, spears, etc., he would commission this panday to make multiple copies, and he would give these pieces to foreign dignitaries who visited him and had given him gifts. now, this would make sense why this piece and the one on the historical picture is so similar...
in a way, this change the common perception in which each individual kris was made to one specific person.
sooo, there's a strong possibility that your piece might be "as is", batara. a similar handle was made, an extra blade lying around, personal panday of Datu Piang put it together, then BAM! instant replica of his favorite sword...
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2013, 12:07 AM   #74
Battara
EAAF Staff

Thanks so much Spunger. This sheds all kinds of light on this piece. Explains why this is identical and yet not identical to the one in the picture. So there is an even higher possibility that this belonged to Datu Piang, even though it is not the one in the picture.

By the way, I have decided not to put the straps up the hilt - would have modify or replace the twisted silver wire. I am not willing to do that nor do anything in which certainty is not assured.

Now for the baka-baka, that is a different matter. Still thinking on that.
Old 5th December 2013, 12:36 AM   #75
Battara
EAAF Staff

Just thought I would place these pictures in black and white to better compare them without color distraction. There are enough tiny differences to my eye to show that these are not the exact same in the hilts (excluding the ring question).

Also, I think it interesting that although Datu Piang may have had several of theses made, he approved of this specific form and design and liked it enough to have it copied for his use.
Attached Images

Old 5th December 2013, 08:04 PM   #76
Spunjer

just a theory, but perhaps the kris pictured with him would be his personal favorite. copies were made, and were given to some real important dignitaries...
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2013, 12:34 AM   #77
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunjer
just a theory, but perhaps the kris pictured with him would be his personal favorite. copies were made, and were given to some real important dignitaries...
That's what I'm thinking........
Old 13th February 2014, 12:58 AM   #78
Battara
EAAF Staff

I have decided not to bother to take the time (which I don't have) to make a new scabbard. Instead I wanted to and decided to attempt to stabilize and replace missing parts of the scabbard.

The scabbard was splintering into pieces, so I stabilized it from the inside, made a replacement belt stop that was originally in the hole towards the top in this style of scabbard. I also had to take off the original stain (yes it was stained brown I found out), smoothed out some of the bumps, and especially took off the large drips of white paint that later dropped onto it sometime in the past. At the same time I cleaned the nickel-silver bands.

I dare not go any further because I am afraid of doing harm, and I am also limited due to the thinness of the edges of the scabbard and the softness of the wood. Therefore some of the edges of the scabbard that are jagged and open (damaged in the past sometime which also somewhat damaged the blade in those areas).

Posted are before and after pictures.
Attached Images

Old 15th February 2014, 11:13 AM   #79
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
I have decided not to bother to take the time (which I don't have) to make a new scabbard. Instead I wanted to and decided to attempt to stabilize and replace missing parts of the scabbard.

The scabbard was splintering into pieces, so I stabilized it from the inside, made a replacement belt stop that was originally in the hole towards the top in this style of scabbard. I also had to take off the original stain (yes it was stained brown I found out), smoothed out some of the bumps, and especially took off the large drips of white paint that later dropped onto it sometime in the past. At the same time I cleaned the nickel-silver bands.

I dare not go any further because I am afraid of doing harm, and I am also limited due to the thinness of the edges of the scabbard and the softness of the wood. Therefore some of the edges of the scabbard that are jagged and open (damaged in the past sometime which also somewhat damaged the blade in those areas).

Posted are before and after pictures.
Hello Jose,

very good work to stabilize the original scabbard, it look much better now!

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote