Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th October 2005, 09:05 PM   #1
Ed

Default An interestingIndian(?) weapon

Hi, y'all. I came accross an interesting, purportedly, Indian weapon today which appealed to me. I was wondering if anyone might offer some comments.

Overall it is about 26" long. Yhe top spike is threaded and screws thru the head into the handle. The hammer face is flat. The spike also unscrews and can be seperated from the guard thingie. The critters might be dogs, might be lions and appear to be a bit less magnetic than the rest of the object.

The decoration appears to be finely etched into the steel (at least ferrous) and accented by silver. Overall, the surface 80% very lightly pitted.

This thing looks like a familiar type to me but I can't seem to find it. Any ideas?
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2005, 09:32 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

looks like the real thing to me, I find the carpet edge quite interesting. You could take another picture on the carpet. Tim
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2005, 09:48 PM   #3
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
looks like the real thing to me, I find the carpet edge quite interesting. You could take another picture on the carpet. Tim
Seriously?
Old 9th October 2005, 09:52 PM   #4
Tim Simmons

Cannot do any harm and carpets to me are as interesting as weapons but we most not stray to far off topic. Tim
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2005, 10:13 PM   #5
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
Cannot do any harm and carpets to me are as interesting as weapons but we most not stray to far off topic. Tim

I, too, like rugs.

Do you know what the weapon is called?
Old 9th October 2005, 10:14 PM   #6
carlos

Default INDIA

I THINK IS A ZAGHNAL AXE FROM INDIA ( SEE IN " A GLOSSARY OF THE CONSTRUCYION, DECORATION AND USE OF ARMS AND ARMOR", GEORGE CAMERON STONE, PAG.684).
THANKS.

UOTE=Incitatus]Hi, y'all. I came accross an interesting, purportedly, Indian weapon today which appealed to me. I was wondering if anyone might offer some comments.

Overall it is about 26" long. Yhe top spike is threaded and screws thru the head into the handle. The hammer face is flat. The spike also unscrews and can be seperated from the guard thingie. The critters might be dogs, might be lions and appear to be a bit less magnetic than the rest of the object.

The decoration appears to be finely etched into the steel (at least ferrous) and accented by silver. Overall, the surface 80% very lightly pitted.

This thing looks like a familiar type to me but I can't seem to find it. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2005, 10:54 PM   #7
Ed

good 'ol Viking Sword.....

This area was dealt with 5 years ago...

http://www.vikingsword.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000278.html

Anyhoo, any comments on my copy would be appreciated.
Old 10th October 2005, 12:32 AM   #8
Andrew

Great zaghnal, Incitatus!

BI and Jens will be along presently, I hope. BI's avatar looks like it's of the decoration from one of these.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2005, 01:05 AM   #9
B.I

i'm afraid jens is away at the moment (actually heading my way, with a couple of fun-filled days planned) so maybe i should try and fill in.
it is a zagnhal of course, but i first assumed it to be a made up piece of various elements. the top spike looks persian, like the spike of a late 19thC khud (which is also threaded), and the blade look of a much older form, with its heavy form, its angled curve and thickened tip - almost like a 16/17thC chillanum.
however, the thickened central rib is too crude to be of this early type, so i doubt it. looking again, i think its probably all en-suite, but of the same period as the decorative khuds (mid to late 19thC). the silver decoration is definately of a late 19thC type, but this doesnt always mean the decoation is the same date as the actual piece. one this one, i think it is though.
either way, i doubt its a fighting piece, in this frail construction. the gap between the blade and 'quillion block' is worrying, and made me think it could be an older blade added on, but i think it was just put together as a showy thing, and so a hardy construction was not necessary. zaghnals were made into the 20thC, with the really late ones trying to be something they werent. this isnt the case with this one. it is a 19thC piece and its form is typical of this period. the mid 20thC pieces were trying to be 18thC, and many people were/are fooled.
i had a good example once, but traded it on some time ago.
lee's example shows the sturdy fighting form (at least in the head) and his shows a good age.
zaghnals are nice things, with lots of pleasure had in swinging them around when no one is looking :-)
andrew, nice guess on my avatar but no cigar
B.I is offline   Reply With Quote