Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th August 2014, 08:42 PM   #1
JamesKelly

Default My Katar Collection

For comments, or just to show off my entire collection. Saw just one that appealed both to my wallet & I, here it is. The dealer says it is from South India - Srirangam or Tanjore, late 16th century, with a yali hood termination. The point is reinforced to penetrate chain mail.

I'm really an antique firearm collector. Somehow I acquired a growing interest in Indian weapons. A bit uneasy about displaying cold arms, no matter what I do they are always loaded.
Attached Images

Last edited by JamesKelly; 9th August 2014 at 09:12 PM.
JamesKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2014, 09:39 PM   #2
Jens Nordlunde

Congratulations :-).
Tell me where the two/four peacocks are hidden :-).
Yes you have an old katar, and a nice one as well :-).
Jens
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 04:22 PM   #3
JamesKelly

Peacocks?
Well, I suppose you jest, but you have an amazing eye, to recognize a stylized peacock (your 5 Jan '05 blade, 8 Oct '14 note to Runjeet
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=Katars
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=Katars )

I don't know which is the peacock in either of those

If there are any here, might you point them out?
Attached Images

JamesKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 04:45 PM   #4
Jens Nordlunde

Ok have a look at this picture, and tell me that you dont see two peacocks.
I would recommend you to get books on the subject. I have six or seven meters of them, so there are enougt to choose from. A real/interested collector will buy books on the subject of interest, and not always rely on the answers given on a forum.
Jens
Attached Images

Last edited by Jens Nordlunde; 10th August 2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10th August 2014, 05:47 PM   #5
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
Ok have a look at this picture, and tell me that you dont see two peacocks.
I would recommend you to get books on the subject. I have six or seven meters of them, so there are enougt to choose from. A real/interested collector will buy books on the subject of interest, and not always rely on the answers given on a forum.
Jens
Jens, James actually does have at least some books on the subject (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18480) but I think your answer is rather rude. Not everyone has a large enough interest to warrant purchasing a lot of books, and if you are going to tell James this why not tell each and every person who asks a question here the same thing?
Quote:
If you resent answering questions then simply ignore them. You are very knowledgeable but that is not how you teach someone, you could have simply pointed out the peacocks that are obvious to you but invisible to others.
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 06:11 PM   #6
Jens Nordlunde

I did not mean to be rude - sorry.
About the peacocks - I just pointed them out.
Old 10th August 2014, 08:10 PM   #7
Andrew

Cool The middle path, please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by estcrh
Jens, James actually does have at least some books on the subject (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18480) but I think your answer is rather rude. Not everyone has a large enough interest to warrant purchasing a lot of books, and if you are going to tell James this why not tell each and every person who asks a question here the same thing? If you resent answering questions then simply ignore them. You are very knowledgeable but that is not how you teach someone, you could have simply pointed out the peacocks that are obvious to you but invisible to others.
Like many members here, despite his excellent English, it is not Jens' first language and stylistic or cultural nuance can be missed. As I have grown very familiar with his personality and posting style, Jens' posts on this thread were not, to me, rude or insensitive at all. However, I can understand how others, not as familiar with him, could misconstrue his playful comments.

Frankly, whenever I see a post on Indian arms/armour, it is Jens' responses I most look forward to reading...
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote