Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 9th September 2018, 03:20 AM   #1
TVV

Default Short Takouba with Spike Hilt and Random Musings on Origin

Here is another of these shorter takoubas with a "spike" protruding from the pommel. It is only about 30.5 inches long with a 23.5inches blade. The blade is unusual in that it is of a diamond cross section. The scabbard does not end in a metal chape, but instead has the leather bound nicely with some twisted metal wire.

This sword is similar to another I posted a year or so ago here:

http://vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22670

So far, we have been attributing these as Mandingo, but the more I look at them in comparison to other takoubas, the more I thing they are from the Adamawa Emirate or the Mandara Mountains.

Look at the picture of three hilts - two belong to these shorter swords and the third one is from a takouba that Iain researched extensively and concluded that it is most likely from the areas where Sokoto and Kanem Bornu met. Obviously this larger sword does not have the spike from the pommel, but the grips are very similar, wrapped in leather with intertwined leather decoration at both ends.

The next picture has the scabbards fronts of 4 takoubas - the 3 from the picture of the hilts plus another wider bladed takouba. They are of the same construction, and aso show very similar zig zag and triangular motives on 3 of them (the new one is the exception with some dots instead). The back sides of the scabbard of the new and the wide takouba are also very similar, showing a zig zag pattern, which symbolic purpose may be to ward off the evil eye.

I do not think these shorter takoubas were meant as scaled down versions for children - there are multiple examples signifying a pattern. My latest example has a blade of diamond cross section, which is unusual for takoubas, but similar to some of the blades found on Tebu or Champa swords. Perhaps these were meant for warriors who fought on foot, such as archers for example, and who did not need a massive sword with decent reach, but were rather looking for a side arm to use in close quarters. The leatherwork is similar to other pieces from the border area between what is nowadays Cameroon and Nigeria.

Conclusion: these shorter are most likely from Ademawa or the Mandara Mountains, where they may have been used as sidearms for foot soldiers who probably fought for and against some of the Muslim Empires trying to expand in the area.

Teodor
Attached Images

TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2018, 07:39 AM   #2
Kubur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV
I do not think these shorter takoubas were meant as scaled down versions for children - there are multiple examples signifying a pattern. My latest example has a blade of diamond cross section, which is unusual for takoubas, but similar to some of the blades found on Tebu or Champa swords. Perhaps these were meant for warriors who fought on foot, such as archers for example, and who did not need a massive sword with decent reach, but were rather looking for a side arm to use in close quarters. The leatherwork is similar to other pieces from the border area between what is nowadays Cameroon and Nigeria.

Conclusion: these shorter are most likely from Ademawa or the Mandara Mountains, where they may have been used as sidearms for foot soldiers who probably fought for and against some of the Muslim Empires trying to expand in the area.

Teodor
Thank you Teodor
As always I can't agree more.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...t=baby+tabouka
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...iopian+kaskara
The same is true for the short kaskara...

Best,
Kubur
Attached Images

Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2018, 06:23 AM   #3
Iain

Sorry I'm late to this thread, I think you are right Teodor, my original thoughts on these being Mandingo had mostly to do with the pommel spike and the similarity with the Mandingo pommels. But the leatherwork here is compelling for a Mandara area attribution and makes sense. I will go back through the takouba website and update these.

By the way, let me know if I can add the sword to the website.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2018, 05:55 PM   #4
TVV

Thank you Iain, glad to have you examine this thread and confirm my suspicions on attribution. You are welcome to add this and any other swords I may have posted in the forum to the takouba site.
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2018, 06:44 PM   #5
Iain

One of the most intriguing aspects of this sword for me is not the size or the hilt, but rather the blade. It is extremely unusual to see a takouba with a blade featuring a midrib. Flat or fullers yes, but I can't recall one like this off the top of my head. Of course in a Mandara context it makes sense, although I have usually seen those with Tebu style hilts.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote