Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st March 2010, 09:31 AM   #1
erikscollectables

Default Kebo Lajer - dapur meaning?

Who on the forum has a description (in english) of the meaning / background of the Kebo Lajer dapur?

For some reason this form is my favourite and I have been able to acquire 4 of these (2 from a friend that have been displayed here on the forum before).

Ik know a dapur says nothing about the age of a piece but it seems most of the kerisses I have seen with this dapur appear to be very old.

All info and ideas are welcome, hope to learn from your input!

Regards, Erik
erikscollectables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 12:48 AM   #2
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikscollectables
Who on the forum has a description (in english) of the meaning / background of the Kebo Lajer dapur?

For some reason this form is my favourite and I have been able to acquire 4 of these (2 from a friend that have been displayed here on the forum before).

Ik know a dapur says nothing about the age of a piece but it seems most of the kerisses I have seen with this dapur appear to be very old.
We in Java, colloquially very intimate with the word "kebo" which may means "kerbau" in Indonesian and Malay language, or "carabao" in English, which you may translate it as "water buffalo" as well...
Literally kebo lajer means "kebo" and "straight thing", and could be interpreted too as "male water buffalo".

Kebo Lajer keris? Some old javanese books -- written in javanese character or caraka script -- usually only described in picture of this dapur. But you may look back at Mr G Tammens (1915) for instance, in his "De Kris, Magic Relic of Old Indonesia" in one of his books. He has a description and picture of a kebo lajer blade -- which he (could be) mispelled it as "kebo lajar" (page 215). The keris on the picture of his book, he said, "has been in the Netherlands for a long time. (Tammens said) attributed to empu Supo long ago. The peksi has got a flattened tip with a little hole, which also points to the famous empu..."

His old blade, which Tammens said as "a Mojopahit" (Majapahit) blade of 15th century, sheated in a gayaman iras warangka, and "nunggak semi" Solo hilt with overall length of 33 cm blade only...

Another book writer, Mr Haryono Guritno in his book "Keris Jawa, Antara Mistik dan Nalar" (Keris Jawa, between Myth and Logic), also wrote on this keris dapur, but no much explanation except describing this name, could means as "kebo jaler" too or "male water buffalo"..

Mr Harsrinuksmo, in his Ensiklopedi book, elaborate this very popular dapur in Jawa, that kebo lajer is liked by ordinary people in agricultural area. Some keris lover -- he said -- believed that such dapur of keris has good "tuah" (magic power?) in "helping peasant to get their better life.." And so on...

Dapur "Gumbeng" also has similarity with kebo lajer. It has a long gandhik too, but the blade is wider than kebo lajer, and shorter.
Hope it will help you to appreciate this popular dapur in Jawa...
Could you please upload pictures of your kebo, if you don't mind?

GANJAWULUNG

Last edited by ganjawulung; 31st March 2010 at 01:25 AM.
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 03:44 AM   #3
A. G. Maisey

Pak Ganja, the following is not being given in dispute with your interpretation of "kebo lajer", but merely to provide a different perspective.

Many years ago the meaning of "kebo lajer" was given to me by a very well respected East Javanese mystic, who was also a keris collector, as "leader of kerbau".

Some time later somebody else, but I forget who, gave me the meaning as " the support given by a kerbau".

In Old Javanese one of the meanings of "lajer" is "principal support". In light of this perhaps we can see the sense in this second interpretation, and of course, the first interpretation is also easily understood when we look at Modern Javanese.

Both these interpretations if considered against the background of the tuah attributed to this dhapur of being fortunate for those with farming associations, do seem to make some sense of the name.
A. G. Maisey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 11:07 AM   #4
ganjawulung

Thank you, Alan, for enriching us on this "kebo" matter. At least, "male" could symbolize as "leader" too. As does in javanese, red color could means as "brave" or white as "sacred" too... Male kebo, could possibly mean leader kebo..

What is interesting to me is, the word "kebo" (mahesa) that was very frequently used in Java -- either for naming things like keris dapur, or even people's name in the past (or in legend) such as Mahesa Wong Ateleng (one name in Singasari legend), or Kebo Anabrang, Kebo Ijo (in the period of Ken Arok and the deadly keris)..

In keris, at least there are a dozen of keris dapur which bearing "kebo" name. As kebo lajer, kebo dhungkul, kebo giring, kebo kanthong, kebo teki (all straight kerises, with different small details), and kebo nabrang, kebo nempuh, kebo soka (three luks), kebo dhendheng, kebo dhengen, kebo tedhan, kebo tedhas (five luks). As do, carita dhapur. More than five keris dhapur bear names with "carita"...

Then, why "kebo"? Is it a mystical and powerful creature in the javanese world?

GANJAWULUNG

Last edited by ganjawulung; 31st March 2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 31st March 2010, 01:18 PM   #5
A. G. Maisey

Pak Ganja, I don't believe I added anything to the interpretation of "kebo". My comments related only to the possibility of variation in meaning of the word "lajer".

However, since you have drawn our attention to the use of "Kebo" as a designation, or perhaps title, for men in times past, it may be worth noting that some scholars of Old Javanese are of the opinion that the word "Kebo" could have denoted a grouping, or classification of soldier in ancient times. ( Ref. Zoetmulder)

In respect of "kebo teki" , in Old Javanese, this referred to a type of grass.

In Modern Javanese "teki" is the name of a type of grass, possibly the same grass as was known by the name "kebo teki" in Old Javanese.

The symbolism of the kerbau in Javanese belief is well known, and I am certain that your knowledge in this respect would far outweigh my own, thus perhaps you may care to expand upon this subject?
Old 31st March 2010, 06:03 PM   #6
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
However, since you have drawn our attention to the use of "Kebo" as a designation, or perhaps title, for men in times past, it may be worth noting that some scholars of Old Javanese are of the opinion that the word "Kebo" could have denoted a grouping, or classification of soldier in ancient times. ( Ref. Zoetmulder)
Very interesting interpretation, Alan. Especially that you noting on some scholars of Old Javanese such as one of the most respectful Old Javanolog Mr Zoetmulder, on the meaning of "kebo".

"Kebo" and "Mahisa" or "Mahesa, Maesa" has the same meaning of carabao or water buffalo, but different in grade. As you know too, that the word "kebo" is the ordinary word for water buffalo. But mahesa, is the more polite word for the same animal. This gradation of the kebo meaning, seems to be used also in naming some one. "Kebo" is for naming attendants of important people (for instance, Kebo Ijo or Kebo Hijo -- green carabao -- the favourite attendant of Akuwu (governor) of Tumapel, Tunggul Ametung in the legend of Ken Arok or Ken Angrok -- then the first king of Singasari kingdom (at the beginning of 13th century). Ken Arok also named his son from wife Ken Dedes, a "higher" grade "kebo" name -- Mahisa Wong Ateleng...

The grand son of Ken Arok -- or the son of Mahisa Wong Ateleng -- also called another higher grade kebo, Mahisa Champaka...

Did the naming of "kebo" in kerises also came from this period?

GANJAWULUNG
Old 1st April 2010, 01:12 AM   #7
A. G. Maisey

Yes, mahisa is found in the Old Javanese lexicon, it is actually Sanscrit which came into Kawi, not part of spoken Javanese, but part of the literary lexicon. Variations in the romanised spelling can be found in Modern Javanese, and are probably inconsequential.

I suspect that to attach any importance to the variation in usage of mahisa and kebo, when these words refer to a person, we would need to analyse both the original usage in manuscript and the date of the copy of the original, and the period of translation of that manuscript, and consider this against the background of the development of Moderrn Javanese at that time.As you would understand, not even the "original" manuscripts are truly originals, and variations in language can be found in old copies of these manuscripts, these variations can reflect the conventions of Javanese language which seem to have begun to make their appearance following the institution of the second Mataram era. It should be noted that in Old Javanese the word "maheswara" carries the meaning of a superior ruler.

As to the naming of kebo varieties of keris in the period where Old Javanese was used, we would probably need to carry out more research, however, Swellengrebel (1936) does mention kebo teki as a type of keris, and Zoetmulder apparently accepts this mention in the context of Old Javanese usage.Personally, I have my doubts; I suspect that Swellengrebel was mixing his Old Javanese and Modern Javanese.
Old 1st April 2010, 01:56 AM   #8
ganjawulung

In modern Javanese, "maesa" still exist colloquially, a more polite word to mention the water buffalo in agricultural daily life in central and east Java. And the ordinary word for that is still, "kebo" but sometimes in a quite different connotation.
You may look for instance, this very popular idioms or proverbs in Javanese daily life. "Bodo longa-longo, kaya kebo" (So stupid, as stupid as carabao). This words will come into our mouth, when we are angry to someone we regarded so stupid. Why does in the modern day in Java, a "kebo" now become a stupid thing? In the modern Indonesia too. There is a 'negative' proverb too, regarding kebo word. "Seperti kerbau tercocok hidung" (not dare to move, nor to oppose at all, like carabao that has pricked in the nose -- a certain way to tame a carabao, just prick the nose and pull him with rope, that's all...)
Very different connotation of "kebo". A daring creature in the past, with more positive connotation, regarded to be stupid animal nowadays. Why?

GANJAWULUNG
Old 1st April 2010, 02:14 AM   #9
A. G. Maisey

I would most humbly suggest that open discussion in a public forum may not be the most suitable place to discuss some apparent changes in Javanese social attitudes.
Old 1st April 2010, 04:40 PM   #10
ganjawulung

Quote:
In respect of "kebo teki" , in Old Javanese, this referred to a type of grass.

In Modern Javanese "teki" is the name of a type of grass, possibly the same grass as was known by the name "kebo teki" in Old Javanese.
Yes, "teki" grass has a characteristic of not-easy-to-be-routed-out, because of its small tuber underground... Maybe the characteristic of this grass-root was suitable to symbolize the characteristic the traditional javanese grass-root. And this type of grass, in the past was not all unuseful. Ordinary people in the javanese village often used the dried-tubers of "teki" grass to be used as face-powder, the crushed teki tubers of course...

(Thanks a lot, Alan, for reminding me....)

GANJAWULUNG
Old 1st April 2010, 04:51 PM   #11
ganjawulung

Quote:
Many years ago the meaning of "kebo lajer" was given to me by a very well respected East Javanese mystic, who was also a keris collector, as "leader of kerbau".
I've just checked in Zoetmulder Jawa Kuna - Indonesian book, yes, you are right Alan. "Lajer" literally means "main pillar". No wonder, if "kebo lajer" was translated as "leader of kerbau"...

GANJAWULUNG
Old 1st April 2010, 11:19 PM   #12
A. G. Maisey

I didn't know that teki root was used as a face powder source, but I do know that it can be eaten. I think I've heard somewhere that it can be made into a kind of emping too.

Quite frankly, some of --- no, most of --- the dhapur names leave me totally mystified. I feel that it is sometimes a case of something being relevant or understood at some point in the past, but being in the realm of complete nonsense now.
Old 2nd April 2010, 12:30 AM   #13
ganjawulung

Quote:
Quite frankly, some of --- no, most of --- the dhapur names leave me totally mystified. I feel that it is sometimes a case of something being relevant or understood at some point in the past, but being in the realm of complete nonsense now.
On the oral tradition. People in the past in Java usually get lesson -- moral lesson, for instance -- from oral tradition. Not from books. But from "tembang" (javanese recited poetry). This tradition is so strong, and some of old people they could memorize each word of the tembang. Including names of kerises. Do you thing these names of keris mentioned in tembang -- for instance -- also are complete nonsense?

GANJAWULUNG
Old 2nd April 2010, 01:35 AM   #14
A. G. Maisey

Pak Ganja, may I draw your attention to my complete text:-

I feel that it is sometimes a case of something being relevant or understood at some point in the past, but being in the realm of complete nonsense NOW.

The way in which things are understood depends upon the use of language and social mores at any particular time.

The way in which a word, or a phrase, or even body language, may have been understood in any place at any time in the past is not necessarily the same as the way in which these things are understood at any other point in time, nor in any other place.

To apply this fact to the case in point:-

let us acknowledge that the names of the various dhapur did have some meaning, either open or esoteric at some point in time past; clearly if they did carry a meaning for some people at that point in time, they were not nonsense

the strict meaning of the word "nonsense", in the context in which I have used it is:-

"spoken or written words that have no meaning or make no sense"

to a very large degree the dhapur names of keris at the present point in time fall precisely within this definition:- they have no meaning and they make no sense, however, this is not to say that they did not have a meaning at some time in the past, nor that they made no sense at some time in the past.

All of the foregoing is implied by the three letter word "now" in my original post.
Old 2nd April 2010, 03:18 AM   #15
ganjawulung

I apologize for not to notice on "now"... I just feel, that in the past this naming of keris dapur in Java such as kebo lajer, was intentionally to express certain purpose of the keris making...

GANJAWULUNG
Old 2nd April 2010, 04:51 AM   #16
A. G. Maisey

Yes, I agree, there was a sense and meaning attached to the naming of dhapur in the past, but we seem to have lost that understanding at the present time.