Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 5th April 2010, 02:34 PM   #1
Atlantia

Default Odd little Kuk

This one has been in a dealers 'case' for the last few months, and I've ignored it.
Today I noticed it minus its sheath, and was suprised to see that despite the classic Indian horn handle which I'd taken to mean it was a 1970s export/souvenier, it does not have the usual plated blade stamped 'MADE IN INDIA'.
In fact on closer inspection the handle is actually quite well made and the blade is hand forged with a double fuller.
But its really small!
So I'm thinking WTH?
Anyway, bought it, appparently the scabbard was 'tatty' so he threw it away.

Another nominee for a light etch do you think?

Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 09:57 PM   #2
Atlantia

Nobody's feeling the love?
Old 6th April 2010, 10:11 PM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

The problem is that it is still a kuk made for the tourist trade and export, very recent.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 11:08 PM   #4
kronckew

try the etch, if it's differentially heat treated & shows a 'hamon', it might be a 'bilton' model. i've heard that the so. africans liked the nine inch khuks for slicing off chunks of their dried meat jerky that they call 'biltong'.

sadly the grip is very reminiscent of the tourista models as noted. small ones made nice letter openers.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 08:18 AM   #5
Iain

Well I like it. I used to have a couple small ones, which while not particularly old, still had a nice heft. There's something about the feel of a small kukri I really enjoy.

The biltong usage is fairly recent I think, at least according to kukri house (I won't link the website as it's commercial) one of their importers got the ball rolling a number of years ago and I haven't seen most of main kukri makers selling with that handle type.

While the handle is certainly a match for the standard tourist item, personally I haven't seen a blade that well made on one before. I'd say go for an etch, it's probably still a tourist item, but there's no reason a smith can't make a proper kukri for the tourists.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 01:02 PM   #6
Berkley

Looks to be a well-made older product of the Dehradun type, could date from before WWII or later. Lack of the "Made in India" marking probably indicates pre-1947 manufacture. Designed for the tourist trade no doubt, although the tourists in question may not have been wearing hula shirts and sandals.

I doubt that an etch will show anything other than the differential hardening line.

Last edited by Berkley; 7th April 2010 at 01:22 PM.
Berkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 01:27 PM   #7
kronckew

i think that's the intent of the etch - if it has a differentially hardened blade it's not a cheap piece of schlock, but can be sharpened and used, rising above it's handle's reputation and becoming a useful member of society.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 02:15 PM   #8
Atlantia

Excellent information gentlemen. Thank you
Back with hopefully results in a bit.
Old 11th April 2010, 12:32 AM   #9
Bryan.H

This one is a bit odd in that the inlay decoration on the handle is very common, and included on touristy pieces, yet the blade seems substantial enough, and the brass bolsters, though nothing extraordinary, are similarly found on Khukri that are working knives. I like the look of this one as a knife that potentially has the capacity of being working knife. At least it doesn't have an aluminium lion head pommel, chromed blade with 'India' and dotted swirls all over it and a couple of pieces of rust attatched to handles of horn made to look like the companion utility blade and steel! The fuller though looks like an afterthought done with an angle grinder and a cutting wheel.

Last edited by Bryan.H; 11th April 2010 at 12:43 AM.
Bryan.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 04:29 AM   #10
inveterate

It may be the pic..but the bolster allmost looks like it might be made of "white metal" Rod
inveterate is offline   Reply With Quote