Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23rd May 2020, 04:42 PM   #1
rickystl

Default Afghan Pulourar Sabre/Scabbard Upgrade

It's hard to believe that seven years have passed by already since I first posted this sabre here on the Forum. Here is the Link to my original Thread for background:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17016

Recently I had the sabre out looking and twirling it around and noticed the blade had become just a tad loose from the hilt. Nothing real noticeable, but loose none the less. It's just one of those things that buggs some of us. LOL
So I sent the sabre and scabbard to fellow Forum member and restorer Philip Tom to tighten the grip. Which he accomplished admirably.

But I'm sure glad I sent the scabbard along too. I knew the thin, black velvet material covering the scabbard was a later addition. But it turned out it was a MUCH later addition. And quite flimsy. So Philip offered to recover the scabbard with some grained Moroccan leather he had on hand. Of course I quickly agreed. With the black velvet material being such a late addition I had nothing to loose. While removing the velvet it was found to have a backyard type repair to the wood using some type of news/magazine paper wrapped around - that still showed advertising. LOL Hilarious !!! Also, the chape was fitted about 1-1 1/2" longer than necessary. So the wood scabbard was properly repaired and the chape moved inward a bit offering a more balanced look. The sling rings were loose, so Philip shimmed them nice and snug.
I received the sabre back last Monday. At first view I couldn't believe my eyes. WOW!!! Philip gave the leather covering an antique finish, with little scuffs here and there. You would almost swear the leather was original to the scabbard. Even smells like old leather. LOL The scabbard is and looks so much better. I could not be happier with the results. THANK YOU PHILIP !! Pictures just don't seem to do justice to the leather covering. But here are some anyway....

I thought I saved the two pics of the paper wrapped wood that Philip sent me, but can't seem to locate them. Hopefully Philip will chime in and has the two pics he sent me. It's so funny.

Thanks again Philip for such a masterful job.

Rick
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote