Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th December 2005, 10:16 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default a stabbing spear this time ?

This is a real coincidence!
Four days after i bought my first African spear, i stepped on the next one.
I must advance this is a poor piece, colectionwise. The blade has a severe wound, reason why this spear was selling for the equivalent to 15 dollars. But it remains entire and solid, with 14" length, 1 3/4" wide.
The haft is 29" long, and its thickness varies between 7/8" near the blade, 1" at the butt, and a slim 5/8" at the central section.
According to what i have been learning, this should be a stabbing spear, zulu or not.
The new part to me is the collar that secures the haft fixation to the blade: a folded iron ferrule (?).
I wonder if this was also a system used currently by the period spear makers.
Could this be a zulu specimen ?
Much obliged for any coments
fernando
Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2005, 12:41 AM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

NOTICE HOW THE BUTT OF THE SPEAR FLARES OUT AND GETS BIGGER SOME HAVE A SORT OF A KNOB ON THE END. THIS IS TO FACILITATE STABING AND KEEPING FROM LOSING YOUR SPEAR AND MAKES IT EASIER TO PULL IT BACK FOR ANOTHER STAB OR THE NEXT ENEMY. THE LARGER HEAD WOULD PROBABLY PLACE IT AT THE TIME OF SHAKA OR AFTER THAT AS HE IS GIVEN CREDIT FOR INTRODUCING THE STABBING SPEARS WITH A BIGGER BLADE. I DIDN'T SEE THE END OF THE OTHER SPEAR SO I DON'T KNOW IF IT WAS A THROWING OR STABBING SPEAR WITH THE EARLIER SMALL SIZE BLADE. THE STABBERS ARE USUALLY AROUND 4 FOOT LONG.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2005, 07:07 PM   #3
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Thank you Vandoo.
My other african piece was posted here last thursday, in a thread titled "African spear". It's a four inch blade throwing spear, with a wire braided collar. It appears that its haft may well be a replacement, so not a safe reference.
The new thing in this present one, for me, is the way the haft is secured to the blade, a solid piece of steel, instead the usual bindings with wire, or fibres, or leather. I thaught this could be a reference for its origin or period of making.
Kind regards
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote