FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 5th November 2007, 07:08 PM   #18
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Hi Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Evans
Fernando ... enjoys the added advantage of not only being fluent in Spanish, but also Portuguese.
You mean i am un-fluent in Spanish ( Castellano ) and a-fluent in Portuguese. Both languages are familiar and is quite easy to check what you want to say with the help of the Internet miracle. You type the word you feel that must exist, in the browser, and in one nanosecond you get the confirmation of the term ... with the right spelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Evans
Now that I think of it, I for one would love to read something from him on navajas in his country - After all, Portugal and Spain are right next to each other
Chris, you are getting me into troubles

I have not much to say about it, starting by my lack of background on the subject.
Please consider the following as a digestive overview, with no expertize comitment ... at all

It appears that he Spanish Navaja, with its semanthic implications, found no replica in Portugal. I mean the Navaja comprehending the device that locks it open, intentionaly for use as a weapon ... the aledged result of sword prohibition.
These were and are called in Portugal, Navalhas de ponta e mola ( point and spring ), and they could and still can be seen around, but basicaly imported from Spain ... partly smuggled in the old days. Contraband between the two borders was a "normal" way of life.

We do have Portuguese Navalhas, or Canivetes when they are small, but without the charisma of those developed by our neighbours. We have them in several styles and dimensions, but no lock built on them. Not that they would not contextualy be used as weapons, but this would demand some care from the user, under risk of folding it with the stroke and cut his fingers, rather than cutting his oponent's guts .
So undoubtfully when a ( Portuguese ) guy intended to equip himself with a fighting piece, he would acquire a Spanish locking example in the black market.

Portuguese knives are, like in Spain, made by industrial cuttlers and also by several small artisans. We still see the late in artisan fairs, all over the country.
Also custom made specimens appear in "boutiques", with exhuberant design, for elite customers, at speechless prices.

But our registered background is rather modern, comparing with that of "nuestros hermanos".
The first regiment for professional cuttlery was published around 1770, a consequence of traditional sword making, which was an abundant occupation in prior days.
This not avoiding that utensile small knives ( Navalhas ) were not made in different chanels ... but i don't think so. Daggers would be more the issue.

But in order "not to leave the credit in allien hands", i will here attach a picture of a Portuguese specimen, of traditional form and fully operational ... only that it weighs 122 kilos and measures 3,90 meters. This piece was made to acquire the title of biggest existing Navalha, and is so registered in the Guiness book of records.
All the best
Fernando
Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 5th November 2007 at 07:22 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote