Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 6th January 2014, 03:35 AM   #1
bhushan_lawate

Default New Year Bonanza...!!!

Hi All...

Wish you a very happy new year...!!! Mine has been a special one...!!!

Some snaps attached.. Pardon the quality of the snaps. These were taken in a jiffy.

All comments on age and provenance solicited...

Regards,
Bhushan
Attached Images

bhushan_lawate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 04:45 AM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

QUITE A NICE SELECTION AND A GREAT START FOR THE NEW YEAR. I SEE 2 FRANGI ONE IN NEED OF MUCH LOVING CARE AND THE OTHER OF BETTER QUALITY AND PERHAPS A BIT OF SILVER STILL PRESENT. THE SHIELD LOOKS LIKE A GOOD OLD ONE AS WELL BUT I CAN'T TELL WHAT HIDE IT IS MADE OF. THE TULWAR WITH THE UNUSUAL BLADE IS THE NEWEST OF THE LOT BUT STILL A NICE EXAMPLE GIVEN THE UNUSUAL BLADE FORM. IT TOO NEEDS SOME CARE. I LOOK FORWARD TO MORE PICTURES WHEN YOU GET THEM CLEANED UP A BIT.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 10:18 AM   #3
bhushan_lawate

Thank you Vandoo..

Any comments on the age or style?

The longer Firangi is 49 inches in length and is also double edged. The smaller one in 45 inches and has a bit of the silver pommel cap intact. Part of it is broken away. It Also has a series of dot like punch marks near the base of the blade. Does that mean anything?

I'm particularly curious to hear comments on the Dhal - shield. It shows some definite age and wrapping. It also has a hole (bullet?) on it. I'm not sure of the hide.

The tulwar -- could it be termed as a sosun pata? The seller was over zealous and has machine cleaned it. Is there a way to restore the older look?

Regards,
Bhushan
bhushan_lawate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 03:22 PM   #4
Jens Nordlunde

Hi Bhushan,
Yes it is a pity when dealers cleans a weapon, he should leave it to the buyer. To my opinion it is a sosusn pata with a blade in the style used in Deccan and the south. The blade form is very old.
Could you show a picture of the dot marks on the blade? Dot marks were used in several places, but are mostly known from Bikaner. So depending on what they look like they could have been made there.
Jens
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2014, 10:39 AM   #5
BANDOOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhushan_lawate
Thank you Vandoo..

Any comments on the age or style?

The longer Firangi is 49 inches in length and is also double edged. The smaller one in 45 inches and has a bit of the silver pommel cap intact. Part of it is broken away. It Also has a series of dot like punch marks near the base of the blade. Does that mean anything?

I'm particularly curious to hear comments on the Dhal - shield. It shows some definite age and wrapping. It also has a hole (bullet?) on it. I'm not sure of the hide.

The tulwar -- could it be termed as a sosun pata? The seller was over zealous and has machine cleaned it. Is there a way to restore the older look?
hi bhushan your dhal is most likely made from rhinoceros hide and is typical of mewar, rajasthan ,I was offered one in very good condition but its extremely difficult to get it out of india,so I did not want to get into trouble,cheers

Regards,
Bhushan
hi bhushan your dhal is most likely made from rhinoceros hide and is typical of mewar, rajasthan ,I was offered one in very good condition but its extremely difficult to get it out of india,so I did not want to get into trouble,cheers
BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote