Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 30th December 2018, 07:56 PM   #1
drac2k

Default Two Cutlasses, but from where ?

The first one (made by A.E.Holler), I've narrowed it down to 2 possibilities; Prussian or Sardinian. I had previously thought these to be Prussian, but I have found several auction houses that have referred to them as Sardinian. If anyone knows definitively which one this is and how to tell them apart, I would appreciate it.
The second, I haven't any idea, except to guess that it is Philippine, Colonial Spanish or even Mexican; if anyone has seen or owned one like this, please clue me in.
Attached Images

drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2018, 07:19 PM   #2
Belgian1

Default Cutlass from where

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac2k
The first one (made by A.E.Holler), I've narrowed it down to 2 possibilities; Prussian or Sardinian. I had previously thought these to be Prussian, but I have found several auction houses that have referred to them as Sardinian. If anyone knows definitively which one this is and how to tell them apart, I would appreciate it.
The second, I haven't any idea, except to guess that it is Philippine, Colonial Spanish or even Mexican; if anyone has seen or owned one like this, please clue me in.
On one of the 2, I can read Holler Solingen. Which means that the place of manufacture is Germany at "Solingen". The one with the shell guard seems to be cutlass of the Imperial Prussian Navy. Try to search in this direction ;-)

Happy New year
Belgian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2019, 08:59 AM   #3
corrado26

The sabre with the black hilt should be a cutlass M1849 of the navy of the German Federation.
corrado26
corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2019, 02:00 PM   #4
drac2k

Thank you both for your helpful responses.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote