Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 7th June 2010, 12:52 PM   #31
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDGAC
Most interesting David; our grip is wrapped in the same black, leather-ish material as the scabbard, which doesn't have any obvious means of removal. I shall work on getting that off, in a non-destructive manner, so as to have a good look at both.

Regards,
Meredydd Jones
Hi Meredydd,
I mentioned the silver used on some hilts because I am surprised that as a presentation 'piece' this sword seems to be lacking.....however perhaps there was a story with this sword that perhaps made it 'special'.

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 04:01 PM   #32
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

As David has noted, this Omani 'kattara' does seem rather simple for a presentation item, but it is certainly a sound example of these broadswords which were a virtual mainstay in the trade realm of Oman. These were worn typically, and well into the 20th century by tribesmen in Oman, but many were dramatically embellished with silver mounts and often outstanding fretwork by ranking individuals and wealthy merchant/traders.

These often entered the African sphere through the Red Sea trade as well as into Africas interior via the Omani Sultanate at Zanzibar. I have often thought that perhaps the guardless, cylindrical hilted swords of Mali with the Manding may have derived from these kattara as they were carried trans Sahara by the caravans. The kattara is noted by Burton as a Zanzibar sword with its profound presence there. It should be noted these often were mounted with European trade blades much as the kaskaras.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 10:06 AM   #33
RDGAC

Curiouser and curiouser! As it turns out, I can see no evidence at all of any embellishment on the fittings or scabbard of this sword; indeed, the wood in both cases looks, to me, quite new, and I'd suggest that this is an old blade placed in new mountings prior to presentation. Quite who decided to do this is beyond me, but mine not to reason why... anyway, some pictures. I was unfortunately unwilling to remove the entirety of the black cover on both sword and scabbard, but discovered that in the former case, it was held together merely by glue (which has begun to give up the ghost), and in the latter that a portion of the material is quite loose and can be manipulated to reveal the wood beneath. The only trace of anything even remotely glittery I could find on this piece, in fact, lies at the stubby pommel, and seems to be a thin coating of a shiny metal; perhaps long-tarnished silver. I shall give some of it a careful silver-cleaning treatment and see what comes up, if anything.
Attached Images

RDGAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 07:04 PM   #34
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Given the modern date noting the date of this acquisition, and the very non presentational nature of this Omani kattara, I would be inclined to think this may have been more of a gift or token given to this officer informally.
The kattara is a most traditional sword in Oman as described earlier, and this may have been a heirloom item of an individual among the ranks, who had the sword refurbished to somewhat original, or presentable condition.

The simplicity of the weapon itself in no way diminishes the reverence with which these 'family' swords would have been held, and I am certain that it was offered to this officer as a token of high regard.
Old 9th June 2010, 08:02 PM   #35
stephen wood

...I notice that there is no pitting in the ground fullers or on the edges so the grinding was done on a blade (or a piece of spring steel) which was already corroded - like this kaskara.
stephen wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 09:20 PM   #36
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wood
...I notice that there is no pitting in the ground fullers or on the edges so the grinding was done on a blade (or a piece of spring steel) which was already corroded - like this kaskara.
OK, I was being optimistic, so the heirloom idea has been extinguished.
The mounts are in kattara style regardless of the blade.