Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th May 2005, 11:13 PM   #1
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Unknown Philippine knife

This is a large heavy knife with some age that comes from the Philippines. The blade is 3/8 inch thick at the hilt and V-ground. A light etch shows a laminated construction. The hilt is quite long, with a carved animal head (? naga) and a small iron ferrule. A single woven rattan band remains on the hilt but there was probably another band in the groove close to the end of the handle.

A well made, heavy knife. Any thoughts from where in the Philippines this may have come?

OAL = 20 inches. Blade = 12 1/4 inches. Maximum width = 1 1/4 inches.

Ian.

Last edited by Ian; 16th May 2005 at 04:08 AM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2005, 02:20 AM   #2
Andrew

That's really neat, Ian. The blade reminds me of a barung. Smaller, of course, but the profile and construction have the look.

Any reason why this couldn't be Moro?
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2005, 04:10 AM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Thanks Andrew.

Moro is a possibility, but not really like anything I've seen before.
Old 16th May 2005, 01:36 PM   #4
Justin

Mike has a similar knife althought it isnt damascus,he says his is Negrito in origin.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2005, 03:29 PM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin
Mike has a similar knife althought it isnt damascus,he says his is Negrito in origin.
Thanks Justin.

Most of the "Negrito" bolos seem to come from the area to the north of Manila, in the vicinity of the old US bases (Clarke AFB and Subic Bay Naval Base), or from Baguio to the north of there, or from the Ilocos provinces even further to the north. The V-grind to the edge would be consistent with those areas also.

Based on its appearance, I'm more inclined to think my knife is from Central or Northern Luzon than from a Moro area.

Ian.
Old 17th May 2005, 09:52 PM   #6
Federico

My gut is telling Xtian, possibly Luzon. Is it partial tang? My feeling from the pics is that it is, and that plus the rattan work makes me think Visaya. But the gut just wants to say Luzon or maybe its just the adobo I ate last night speaking to me.
Federico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2005, 10:04 PM   #7
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Blind (partial) tang construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federico
My gut is telling Xtian, possibly Luzon. Is it partial tang? My feeling from the pics is that it is, and that plus the rattan work makes me think Visaya. But the gut just wants to say Luzon or maybe its just the adobo I ate last night speaking to me.
Old 18th May 2005, 03:14 AM   #8
Conogre

Here's the one that I have that's tenativeley ID'd only as a "negito bolo" (thans for the heads up, Justin), 14 1/4" OA with an 8 3/8" blade, partial tang, with no ferule of any kind and no pattern evident in the blade, although I've not tried to etch it.
The scabbard came with it and has a similar patina and coloration, but I'm still not convinced it's original to the blade or even made for it, although they've clearly been together for many years (16 1/2" OA in sheath).
The general blade shape and hilt shape "feel" very similar, although this hilt was never pierced, and the simpler, plainer steel, even though hand forged and lack of ferule make me suspect that yours is a trifle more "civilized" than this one.....what are your thoughts on areas of origin?
Mike
Attached Images

Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote