Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th July 2008, 02:16 PM   #1
Lew
(deceased)

Default Albanian Jambiya/Khanjar Wootz?

Just arrived the other day a large horn hilted Albanian jambiya. I sanded down the blade with 600and 1000 grit sand paper and etched it. The blade turned black instead of the normal grey but I don't know if I see any real pattern? So this is probably not wootz?

Lew
Attached Images

Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2008, 05:00 PM   #2
ward

sand it again cut your solution to a 1/2 to 1/4. I assume you are using ferric chloride. It still may not show pattern but your concentrate is to heay right now
ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2008, 06:42 PM   #3
Lew
(deceased)

Ward

I sanded it again and used a weaker solution and I am definately seeing a wootz pattern starting to appear it shows swirls but seems low contrast it will need more coaxing.

Thanks

Lew
Old 26th July 2008, 07:12 PM   #4
ward

You always better off starting with a lower concentrate and just repeating coats over and over again
ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2008, 08:27 PM   #5
Lew
(deceased)

Here is a better pic you can see the pattern but it's not high contrast.
Attached Images

Old 26th July 2008, 09:03 PM   #6
Atlantia

Another nice find Lew,
How are you etching it, dipping or painting on?
Would switching to citric acid now make any difference?
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2008, 11:22 PM   #7
Norman McCormick

Hi,
Slightly off topic but relevant I think. I, at one point in time, used a particular widely available alkali solution mixed with wallpaper paste to strip paint from wood. Taking all the necessary precautions still did not prevent a very small amount getting on my wrist, the first I knew of the problem was a slight irritation and itching sensation on my skin. Upon investigating I was horrified to see that the chemical mix had literally dissolved my flesh leaving a 1/2 inch diameter hole right down to the bone. I had used this method of paint stripping successfully on a large number of occasions before but ,understandably, not since! I think that members who are a bit reticent about discussing the use of dangerous chemicals have a very valid concern about the safety of fellow members and also those who browse the Forum without joining. Perhaps on this occasion P.M.'s would be more appropriate for those who wish to pursue experimentation with a more toxic and corrosive range of chemicals.
My Regards,
Norman.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 03:45 AM   #8
Battara
EAAF Staff

OH COME ON! I think you folks worry too much. Why I bath in my acids all the time......hey.....where did my hand go.........
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 10:50 PM   #9
Norman McCormick

Dear Battara,
First may I offer my sincere condolences regarding your loss i.e. your hand. May I humbly suggest that your proclivity for bathing in noxious and corrosive substances will ultimately diminish your other appendages to such a degree that much of their intended use will be much compromised and as such will negate, to you, their useful, nay pleasurable, company. On the other hand this will make your recent loss less of a burden as without one the other, under most circumstances, becomes redundant anyway.
My Regards,
Norman.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 11:01 PM   #10
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman McCormick
Hi,
Slightly off topic but relevant I think. I, at one point in time, used a particular widely available alkali solution mixed with wallpaper paste to strip paint from wood. Taking all the necessary precautions still did not prevent a very small amount getting on my wrist, the first I knew of the problem was a slight irritation and itching sensation on my skin. Upon investigating I was horrified to see that the chemical mix had literally dissolved my flesh leaving a 1/2 inch diameter hole right down to the bone. I had used this method of paint stripping successfully on a large number of occasions before but ,understandably, not since! I think that members who are a bit reticent about discussing the use of dangerous chemicals have a very valid concern about the safety of fellow members and also those who browse the Forum without joining. Perhaps on this occasion P.M.'s would be more appropriate for those who wish to pursue experimentation with a more toxic and corrosive range of chemicals.
My Regards,
Norman.
Wow Norman!
Too high a concentrate of caustic soda!
I can sympathise, I've burned myself several times with it, although not on the same scale at all!!
I'm horrified that it burned you so badly, you must have been totally wrapped in the job to not realise until it was too late?
Hope it healed ok?

Has anyone tried jellified carriers for etching solutions?
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 11:34 PM   #11
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Arrow

Try a drop of soap in the solution instead (prevents beading) .

I still haven't changed my opinion on an etch thread .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote