Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th February 2024, 11:31 PM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Sword canes

Unusual topic, and honestly had never thought much on it, but just realized this field might deserve some further attention. I have not been able to find any reference material specifically discussing these.

While there seems to be a great deal of attention to self defense using the walking stick, to the point that use of these was even taught in certain fencing schools from 19th-into 19th c. there does not seem to be the information on those which had the blade within.

Does anybody have information/interest in these? WAY esoteric!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2024, 12:51 AM   #2
werecow

They are interesting. A local antique shop had one with an 18th century hollow ground triangular section smallsword blade, but unfortunately I was out of sword moneys again and when I went back to make an offer a little while later it had been sold. I should have taken pictures.

Since I don't have much in depth knowledge myself I will leave a couple of videos by Matt Easton:

Swordsticks - the walking cane with a sword blade inside

SWORDSTICKS! Use in historical newspapers & the law

EDIT: Oh and also, this Chinese example:
Exceptional Qing Sword Cane

Last edited by werecow; 18th February 2024 at 01:07 AM.
werecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2024, 12:12 AM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thanks for answering Werecow!!!
Not a great deal of interest in these it would seem, and they appear to have a lot of legal concern as concealed weapons. What piqued my interest was watching a Sherlock Holmes movie and in the Victorian clutter of Holmes' place was a rack of about 7 or 8 sword canes...just thought they were cool.
Much appreciated and thanks for these video clips......surprised there seems to be no published volume on these.
Old 19th February 2024, 10:53 AM   #4
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Jim, providing i understand the meaning of your query, starting from the forum 'search' button to 'searching' out there, the sword canes (or sticks) subject opens are a wide range of data; from toothpick styles to lethal examples, from various Countries ... to even more than one Continent.
Since a long while back i have owned a few of these, covering various purposes, some close to fakes to others of official use. Eventually those with authentic early sword blades

-
Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2024, 07:13 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you Fernando! These are as I would expect with you, superb examples and exactly what I was looking for. I am much chagrined for not going to the search here, which I invariably use, but I suppose wasnt sure what category these would fall into. Thinking they might not be considered 'real' weapons, but perhaps a novelty in the 'weapons curiosa' genre, I didnt think of the search.

While I am hoping of course to find an authentic 19th century example, with of course a rapier blade (as yours have !) I have little confidence in most of the popular sources. Also, as these are concealed weapons, the regulatory madness has encroached on the owning of these in some areas.

Also I was hoping to find a good reference that might discuss these in depth, as my references seem to have a great void in study of these. There is some detail online, but very old school, I was hoping to find a hard copy of something.
Old 19th February 2024, 09:47 PM   #6
drac2k

In Japan, these canes were called Shikomi-Zue and they gained in popularity after the Hatorei Edict in 1870 forbidding farmers and merchants from owning swords and the Haito Edict in 1876 also made it unlawful for Samurai to wear swords.
Attached Images

drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2024, 09:35 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thanks Drac, I would never have thought of the sword cane etc. in Japan, but after westernization and the end of the Samurai (at least as officially recognized) it seems understandable this concealed form of sword would prevail.
Old 21st February 2024, 12:16 AM   #8
drac2k

Thank you for bringing the subject up.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2024, 12:23 PM   #9
Pertinax

Presumably Germany early 20th century
Attached Images

Pertinax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2024, 11:30 PM   #10
Sajen

This one I've found in my saved pictures!
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote