Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd April 2006, 09:26 PM   #1
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Huge Dao -- origin ???

This is a large and weighty beast that could hand out some serious hurt.

The blade is a dao shape, with two straight edges that diverge from the hilt (width = 1 3/8 inches; thickness of spine = 3/8 inch) to the squared off end (width = 2 11/16 inches; thickness of spine = 3/32 inch). The blade is heavily patinated with a biconvex grind to the edge. Old hammer marks from forging are visible in several places.

The handle is cast bronze and appears to have been covered originally with a black resinous material that has been rubbed back over time to reveal vegetal designs in relief. The pommel is flame shaped. The handle is circular in cross section and flares out as it approaches the disk guard. The bronze guard is a wide disk (about 5 inches in diameter) that is scalloped around the edges (with 14 scalloped sections). The under surface of the guard is decorated, with a raised ridge around the periphery, and a series of inscribed concentric circles with various geometric designs between the lines.

Despite its size and weight, this sword is quite well balanced when held close to the guard and could be used single-handed, although it is obviously intended as a two-handed weapon.

OAL: 41 inches
Handle: 11 1/2 inches
Width of guard: approx. 5 inches
Blade: 29 1/2 inches
Weight 6-7 pounds

The origin and purpose of this one are a puzzle. The style is consistent with mainland SE Asia, most likely Thai, Lao or Cambodian -- it does not look like Burmese or Vietnamese work.

It's purpose would seem to be either for executions or as a sword of state -- or both. The edge is sharp and shows some wear at the tip. It appears to have been used.

Comments and suggestions about origins and purposes are greatly appreciated. I am grateful to Oriental Arms for selling me this one and I have included pictures from Artzi's site below.

Ian.
Attached Images

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2006, 06:14 AM   #2
PUFF

Location: 30 miles north of Bangkok, 20 miles south of Ayuthaya, Thailand

Cast hilt sounds Cambodian for me.
Difficult to observe but I recognize some Siamese-like pattern on the hilt. May I see pattern detail on the guard?
PUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2006, 01:29 PM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Thanks PUFF ...

I will take some additional pictures and post them. May take a day or two,

Cambodia would have been my first choice as well, although the diffusion of styles in the region made me hedge a little. But you're right -- the cast bronze hilt would certainly lean more to Cambodia than Thailand or Laos.

Any thoughts on age and function?

Ian.
Old 24th April 2006, 05:05 PM   #4
mross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
I will take some additional pictures and post them. May take a day or two,

Cambodia would have been my first choice as well, although the diffusion of styles in the region made me hedge a little. But you're right -- the cast bronze hilt would certainly lean more to Cambodia than Thailand or Laos.

Any thoughts on age and function?

Ian.
No guess on age, but looking at the shape I would think executioner's sword.
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2006, 01:27 AM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Lightbulb Detail of decoration on guard ...

Here is a close up picture of the under surface of the guard. Approx. 5 inches in diameter.

Ian.
Attached Images

Old 30th April 2006, 12:51 AM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

PUFF -- Any further thoughts?
Old 30th April 2006, 06:55 AM   #7
PUFF

Location: 30 miles north of Bangkok, 20 miles south of Ayuthaya, Thailand

Similar to the hilt, the pattern contains hint of Siamese art. To be more specific, Ayuthaya period or earlier. The most familiar pattern at the edge of the guard and the diagonal on the hilt.

I went to Ayuthaya last weekend to check for the zigzag and twisted rope. But they are not used on temples and artifacts which are recovered within Ayuthaya city. My feeling is the art was mixed with another one. From the detailed pattern, IMO: 's the Dahb could be for sword of a province ruler or a noble. The province 's not Ayuthaya itself but a smaller city with bronze-cast hilt tradition. I have to do more research

What is the stuff in the gap between the guard and the blade? Is it earth? Is it possible to get some information from that thing?
PUFF is offline   Reply With Quote