Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th October 2013, 06:33 AM   #1
AJ1356

Default Visiting Istanbu

In a little more than a week I'll be visiting Istanbul, planning to visit all the usual places like the Topkapki museum and all the usual areas. I was wondering if any one had any other recommendations on how to use my vacation efficiently in regards to arms and armor and whatever else.

Thanks
AJ1356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2013, 08:37 AM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1356
In a little more than a week I'll be visiting Istanbul, planning to visit all the usual places like the Topkapki museum and all the usual areas. I was wondering if any one had any other recommendations on how to use my vacation efficiently in regards to arms and armor and whatever else.

Thanks

Salaams AJ1356~ Beware the Museum closes for cleaning one day a week...I think Tuesdays. You will have a great time in the Main Bazarre...and for eating out go for the little back street eateries...Don't buy anything remotely old as it probably isn't and anyway, if it is, they will take it off you at the Airport.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2013, 02:53 PM   #3
digenis

Visit the Army Museum ("askeri muzesi"). It has an amazing collection of arms and armour from the Ottoman era. The Palace has some very cool weapons attributed to key Islamic and Ottoman historical leaders but of questionable provenance that are in my opinion much later than the museum claims. The bazaar has some great antique stores but prices are astronomical and you can never beat these guys in their own game. If you do buy something send it home via DHL. As mentioned earlier antique items will be confiscated at the airport. You can find some hidden gems in the various flea market areas. I spent about four days this past summer and had a blast.
digenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2013, 06:56 PM   #4
archer

Default Covered Bazar

The Covered Bazar is huge an in the late sixties was a treasure trove of all kinds of Colts, Winchester edged weapon. Worth a look, not sure of current Customs rules. Have fun, Steve
archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2013, 08:10 PM   #5
Sancar

Welcome to Istanbul. Here are some useful tips:

1-Don't buy any blades from Grand Bazaar. Come to think of it, don't buy anything from Grand Bazaar.

2-When you go to Topkapı Palace Museum, don't forget to buy the new Armoury catalog. It is quite good.

3-After visiting Palace Museum, go to The Istanbul Archeology Museum which is in the outer garden of the palace. You can easily walk there.

4-Visit Military Museum in Harbiye and Naval Museum in Beşiktaş.

5- Antique stores in the old city( Sultanahmet-Beyazıt, which isthe tourist center of Istanbul) are overpriced and full with fake arms and armour. If you want to go antique hunting, try Çukurcuma district(close to Taksim), Bahariye district(close to Kadıköy). I doubt you'll find any Turkish stuff except for19th-20th century Anatolian yataghans, qamas and knives; but you'll also find suprisingly large amount of 18th to19th century European swords, sabers, smallswords, bayonets etc. as well. And most antiquesalers have no idea what they are.

6-Keep in mind that every antique store clerk will try to rip you off, and mostly they don't know anything about armsand armour so don't be afraid to bargain. You might get lucky and find some great stuff for relatively cheap prices.

7-It's rather chilly and rainy right now, so take a jacket with you

Have a good time...
Sancar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2013, 01:40 PM   #6
AJ1356

Thanks everyone for the great info, especially Sancar for taken time to itemize and tell me about the weather.
I'll be in Istanbul on the 18th and would be staying in Sultanahmet area. I am looking forward checking all the museums and the historic areas and eat lots of tasty Turkish food . And maybe if I am lucky I'll find something worth buying, but that is not my main goal.
AJ1356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2013, 06:50 PM   #7
Sancar

You're welcome
Old 11th October 2013, 12:56 PM   #8
Martin Lubojacky

Hi,
Sancar, why not to buy in Grand Bazar ? Because of high prices, or are there also another reasons ?
I am of the opinon there are some very interesting pieces, and at the same time very expensive ones, in Grand Bazar.Turkey is big (80 millions inhabitants ?) and rich country - I mean there is a lot of relatively rich private collectors and the competition, i.e. prices are high. Some of the local dealers used to buy at intl auctions like e.g. Herman Historica and they sell this staff (already relatively rare kilijs) in Turkey after than. I think it is cheaper (except of more ordinary yathagans) to buy Ottoman weapons in the central Europe, nowadays ...
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2013, 01:15 AM   #9
Sancar

Arms and armour you may find in antique stores of Grand Bazaar are highly overpriced; and often their authenticity are very questionable. I saw many replicas tried to be sold as original pieces, and many ordinary quality19-20th century pieces tried to be presented as much older. Sometimes they clean theand make horrible restorations to sell less than average quality blades as 16th century "palace pieces"that were owned by sultan or pashas.
Store clerks are either lie about origin and date of weapons or very ignorant.

I agree that Turkey is not the ideal place to buy Ottoman weaponry. European market is much cheaper and of better quality.