Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th September 2008, 12:51 PM   #1
Gavin Nugent

Default More Chinese stuff

I said a long time ago that I'd never buy from a dealer but recently I ate my words...never say never. Thanks to some astute eyes within the forum who pointed me to these the moment they appears on a website I couldn't let these get away and I didn't. For my collecting interests, right place right time.
They are fabulous in the hands and sing sweetly through the air
I am chuffed

Gav
Attached Images

Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 02:15 PM   #2
stekemest

Wonderful dao. Congratulations.
Boxer rebellion?
stekemest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2008, 09:38 PM   #3
Gavin Nugent

Default I wouldn't think so

I wouldn't directly attribute these to the Boxer Rebellion as they are a rather more refined weapon than the swords more commonly associated with that particular event. They could well have seen use in this event but not in a Boxer's hand/s
Perhaps some of the other members can come in and comment on this.

Gav
Old 18th September 2008, 10:24 PM   #4
RSWORD

These shuangniuweidao are most probably of the late 19th century and maybe up until the turn of the century. The one picture seems to highlight a wide and interesting "hamon" from the heat treatment so they were probably made for use. I agree that they would not have been carried by the general civilian in use in the Boxer Rebellion but it is unknown whom may have carried this type of sword. Given the skill level needed to wield two swords at the same time it was likely a trained martial artist that may have been employed for security detail or something along those lines. The art of surprise would have been helpful with these swords. Imagine a group of thugs harrassing a caravan of merchandise and the "security" comes along and they think he only has one sword and whips it into two swords. Would have made an impressive site and probably a good deterant in such a situation.
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 09:44 AM   #5
Gavin Nugent

Default Thanks for coming in Rick.

My thoughts were also with a trained martial artist of the time, much like the ones in the images below or often seen in Hollywood movies were one defends his "house" and or "legacy of a superior style" etc, tests were frequent between people, though I too think seeing one sword turn into two would end most conflicts without a drop of sweat being exerted.
These are seriously dangerous weapons in the right hands and are of a very high quality, great harmons and triple fullers both sides that have been very well executed. The blades are about inch longer than the other sabre I have presented before and wider towards the tip that can be clearly seen in the images. When I actually slip the lanyards over my wrists and start swinging these around I do almost feel bullet proof.

Gav
Attached Images

Old 21st September 2008, 01:05 AM   #6
Chris Evans

Gavin,

Congratulations. Seem like an excellent buy!

If only those swords could talk of their adventures... Any nicks or chips on the edges, or any other signs of their having been used?

Cheers
Chris
Chris Evans is offline   Reply With Quote