Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th January 2023, 07:20 PM   #1
Martin Lubojacky

Default An interesting sword from the Sahel region

Enclosed please find photos of an interesting sword that I believe comes from the Sahel region. The sword is heavy, the blade measures approx. 4.7 cm at its widest point. I believe that the shape of the blade indicates a Tebbu origin, nevertheless on the other hand the shape of the hilt is similar to that of Hausa daggers - but the circle at its end is striking... (The dagger on the ground next to the sword is Ethiopian)
Attached Images

Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2023, 02:12 PM   #2
Yvain

The pommel is different, but the blade and the guard remind me of Yaka swords : https://www.brooklynmuseum.org/openc...objects/142325 . Maybe a lead to investigate ? Doesn't remind me of any Sahelian weapons I've seen before though.
Yvain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2023, 09:57 PM   #3
Martin Lubojacky

Dear Yvain, Thank you for your response. I was led to the idea of Hausa by the shape of the guard on the wooden handle, which is similar to some Hausa daggers . http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...t=Hausa+dagger
The triangular engravings on the blade seem to me to be typical for the blades of the southern part of the Sahel (there are also also similar engravings on some spearheads in northern Cameroon).

I have had three swords consecutively from the Yaka ethnic group and I believe it is not the same case.
Best,
Martin
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2023, 12:52 AM   #4
Araņa_del_Sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Lubojacky View Post
Dear Yvain, Thank you for your response. I was led to the idea of Hausa by the shape of the guard on the wooden handle, which is similar to some Hausa daggers . http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...t=Hausa+dagger
The triangular engravings on the blade seem to me to be typical for the blades of the southern part of the Sahel (there are also also similar engravings on some spearheads in northern Cameroon).

I have had three swords consecutively from the Yaka ethnic group and I believe it is not the same case.
Best,
Martin
Hi Martin,

I agree with your attribution. I have a Hausa dagger/short sword that has triangular engravings on a region of the blade resembling those on your sword, lending support to a Sahelian origin. The hilt of my dagger also has some similarities to your sword (except the pommel)

- ADS
Attached Images

Araņa_del_Sol is offline   Reply With Quote