Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st January 2023, 09:24 AM   #1
PHILGERS

Default Unknown firearm

I need help identifying this weapon. I found it in an old French collection that I just bought. I have no idea about this 21 inch long pistol or rifle. The barrel is in bronze, (diameter 0.47 inches) and looks old. The firing system must be fuse. I think the weapon must be of Asian origin but I have not found any other weapon with a butt of this shape. If someone has an idea ...
Attached Images

PHILGERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2023, 02:17 PM   #2
Will M

It appears to be an older decorative piece. No place for a lock so it really cannot fire unless you hold a flame to the pan. The pan suggests flintlock.
Will M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2023, 08:35 PM   #3
David R

It's a type known as a touch-fire among other names, and they turn up all over the East as a simple low tech shooter. I will stick my neck out and say South East Asia, somewhere under Chinese influence. Nice item, one to enjoy.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2023, 08:07 AM   #4
JBG163

Chinese or vietnamese is a good guess. With the symbol, french history, and Mother of Pearl inlay, i would go toward Vietnam
JBG163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2023, 12:07 PM   #5
ausjulius

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILGERS View Post
I need help identifying this weapon. I found it in an old French collection that I just bought. I have no idea about this 21 inch long pistol or rifle. The barrel is in bronze, (diameter 0.47 inches) and looks old. The firing system must be fuse. I think the weapon must be of Asian origin but I have not found any other weapon with a butt of this shape. If someone has an idea ...
it is a vietnamese made firearm i belive.
ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2023, 12:18 PM   #6
milandro

touch-hole guns were primitive guns all over the world and came in all sizes in Asia (but existed in Europe too)

Last edited by milandro; 22nd January 2023 at 12:41 PM.
milandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2023, 12:31 PM   #7
milandro

Quote:
at some point it may have had a simple ignition mechanism such as these Japanese weapons

Old 22nd January 2023, 01:16 PM   #8
PHILGERS

thank you all for your information. I think the stock heel is ivory
Old 23rd January 2023, 01:55 PM   #9
PHILGERS

Does anybody have an idea of the era of this gun?

Last edited by Lee; 24th January 2023 at 08:18 PM.
Old 25th January 2023, 12:07 PM   #10
milandro

Quote:
Does anybody have an idea of the era of this gun?
I am not sure that one can affirm without any doubt that this is an ancient made weapon But hand cannons (which this is) are very old indeed , however their use extends to modern days too

"....Cannons are attested to in India starting from 1366.[33] The Joseon kingdom in Korea acquired knowledge of gunpowder from China by 1372[34] and started producing cannons by 1377.[35] In Southeast Asia Đại Việt soldiers were using hand cannons at the very latest by 1390 when they employed them in killing Champa king Che Bong Nga.[36] Chinese observer recorded the Javanese use of hand cannon for marriage ceremony in 1413 during Zheng He's voyage.[37][38] Japan was already aware of gunpowder warfare due to the Mongol invasions during the 13th century, but did not acquire a cannon until a monk took one back to Japan from China in 1510,[39] and firearms were not produced until 1543, when the Portuguese introduced matchlocks which were known as tanegashima to the Japanese.[40] The art of firing the hand cannon called Ōzutsu (大筒) has remained as a Ko-budō martial arts form.[41][42]..."
So, I would call this a small hand cannon
Some of these, In Japan, are contemporary made. I am not saying that your piece is, but It doesn't apart to be hundreds of years old.
Assuming it is a functional weapon (?) it may be a relatively old weapon or a more modern reproduction.

Last edited by fernando; 25th January 2023 at 06:10 PM.
Old 25th January 2023, 06:09 PM   #11
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

milandro, you know that forum rules are that images ought to be uploaded using forum attachment features. You should save your pictures in your disk and then attach them to threads.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2023, 06:44 PM   #12
milandro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
milandro, you know that forum rules are that images ought to be uploaded using forum attachment features. You should save your pictures in your disk and then attach them to threads.
sorry, I didn't know that, these pictures aren't mine and since the feature existed I thought it was ok
Old 25th January 2023, 08:06 PM   #13
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by milandro View Post
sorry, I didn't know that, these pictures aren't mine and since the feature existed I thought it was ok
Still you know where the pictures were; you may always save them and upload them with forum (manage attachments) features, found hereunder. This way pictures remain permanently in respective threads; will not vanish when host links are broken.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2023, 09:10 PM   #14
milandro

Thanks, won't forget it

I managed to retrieve some of the images

So, I would call this a small hand cannon
Some of these, In Japan, are contemporary made. I am not saying that your piece is, but It doesn't apart to be hundreds of years old.
Assuming it is a functional weapon (?) it may be a relatively old weapon or a more modern reproduction.
Attached Images