Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd October 2022, 07:28 PM   #1
David R

Default Tiffin Box perhaps

Just back from a small "antique fair" which was more like a vintage tabletop sale frankly.... you can tell I was not impressed! However I came away with two items at an attractive price, the one I am posting here being what I think is a tiffin box comments as to exactly where it might be from and what it actually is are welcome.
Attached Images

David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2022, 02:22 PM   #2
David R

Default .. or perhaps not.

A friend was over yesterday dropping off a sword, and having similar interests to myself in ethnographic miscellania we had a chat and a good go over the piece. Probably not a tiffin set as there are not enough sections, three is usually a minimum, and there are signs of heat being applied to the slightly bowled base of the larger vessel. Not an industrial product but well made by hand, and a few telltales of patching to fit. Tinned by dipping in the eastern style.
We concluded that it was more of a canteen or mess kit,.. but for who?
Old 29th October 2022, 11:07 PM   #3
David R

Default narrowed down

Well my online searching is narrowing down the possibilities. It looks very like something from traditional Indian brass ware often referred to as a milk-pot. But, they have a flat bottom and no internal tray unlike the one I have which has a bowled base and an internal tray or division. Pictures below of an examples of a "Milk Pot". Still searching!
Attached Images