Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 1st January 2013, 07:01 PM   #1
kino

Default Help ID this Oceanic Club

Dimensions
Height 22 inches
Width 9.25 inches
Thickness of blade 2 inches

Incisions are filled in with a white substance, perhaps lime.
I have no idea what type of wood it is, not as heavy as I thought it would be at first glance. Could it be a ceremonial object rather than for war?
Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 08:19 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

THE SIZE, FORM AND DECORATION INDICATE SAMOA TO ME. I THOUGHT THIS TYPE MAY BE REFERRED TO AS A PAGO PAGO CLUB BUT THAT IS THE LOCATION WHERE FOUND NOT THE NAME OF THIS PARTICULAR CLUB. I DON'T KNOW IF THIS CLUB WAS FOR WARFARE OR A SYMBOL OF POWER OF A CHIEF OR PRIEST OR WHAT FUNCTION IT PLAYED IN THE SOCIETY. SAMOA HAS QUITE A LARGE VARIETY OF CLUB FORMS AND DECORATIONS WHICH I JUST DON'T HAVE THE REFRENCES TO INTERPRET THEIR MEANINGS OR USES IN THE SOCIETY. IT WOULD SEEM THE ANTHROPOLIGISTS WHO WROTE MANY BOOKS ABOUT THE SOCIETY WERE MORE INTERESTED IN TRIBAL SEXUAL PRACTICES THAN IN WARFARE OR THE MEANING OF VARIOUS SYMBOLS IN THE SOCIETY. SOME THINGS NEVER CHANGE.
HERE ARE 3 EXAMPLES, TWO PICTURES ARE IDENTIFIED AS PAGO PAGO CLUB 24IN LONG COLLECTED 1925, ONE PICTURE SAMOA 20 IN LONG MOST LIKELY A SIMULAR DATE. AND ONE PICTURE OF A MODERN INTREPETATION AROUND 24 IN. LONG LIKLEY VERY RECENT 2005 TO 2009.
ITS DIFFICULT TO TELL BUT I SUSPECT YOURS MAY BE FROM THE 1950 TO EARLY 1960 TIME RANGE. NICE ONE IT IS VERY WELL DONE.
Attached Images

Last edited by VANDOO; 2nd January 2013 at 05:29 AM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013, 10:27 PM   #3
kino

Thank you for your help Vandoo.
kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 12:22 AM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

Barry loves to go clubbing .
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013, 05:25 AM   #5
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

I LOOKED THRU PARTINGTONS BOOK ON CLUBS UNDER SAMOA AND TONGA AND THRU FERGUS CLUNIES BOOK ON FIJIAN CLUBS AND WEAPONS. I FOUND NO POSITIVE MATCH ON YOUR CLUB AND PARTINGTONS BOOK SHOWS GOOD ILLUSTRATIONS AND COUNTRIES BUT NATIVE NAMES FOR WEAPONS SEEM TO BE MISSING PERHAPS I WILL TAKE A CLOSER LOOK THRU THE TEXT WHEN TIME ALOWS.
PAGO PAGO IS THE CAPITAL OF AMERICAN SAMOA AND AN IMPORTANT AMERICAN NAVAL SUPPLY BASE FROM 1878 TO 1951 SO NO DOUBT ALL SOUVINEERS WERE SHIPPED FROM ALL ISLANDS TO THAT LOCAL FOR SALE TO THE SAILORS SO LIKELY THE NAME ATTACHED TO THE CLUB I PICTURED ONLY INDICATES WHERE IT WAS AQUIRED. SO FAR THE BEST REFRENCES I HAVE FOUND ARE IN MY PRIVATE PICTURES AND REFRENCE. GOOD INFO IS DIFFICULT TO COME BY I WILL TRY AND LOOK THRU OLDMANS AND BANNERMANS CATALOGS SOON.
FANS WERE OFTEN CARRIED AND DENOTED STATUS IN OCEANIC SOCIETY. IN JAPAN A FAN SHAPED CLUB (WAR FAN) WAS OFTEN HELD BY THE ONE IN CHARGE OF BATTLE AND USED PRIMARILY TO GESTURE WITH BUT IN A PINCH COULD BE USED FOR DEFENSE. SEE OLD POST ON WAR FANS. PERHAPS CLUBS LIKE YOURS SERVED A SIMULAR PURPOSE IN THE PACIFIC AT SOME TIME.
NO CLUBBING FOR ME NEW YEARS NIGHT JUST STAYED HOME AND WATCHED BACK TO BACK DR. WHO EPISODES AND HOWLED ALONG WITH THE DOG AT MIDNITE. GETTING OLDER
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 01:14 AM   #6
Diceman

I would agree with Vandoo, Samoa. I check my library and see if I can come up with a name for you?
Diceman is offline   Reply With Quote