Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 30th July 2022, 07:00 AM   #1
Pitt1999

Default Looking at this old photo of Moro swords

I am assuming that most of the denizens of this forum are familiar with this photo, which if I remember correctly is showing a number of captured Moro swords. When I first saw this photo a few things immediately jumped out at me. The first being the profusely curved sword at the top of the photo which stood out like a sore thumb. It reminded me of some Dayak swords which have a similar blade shape. The other things are these two very small barong, which seem to have blades of around half the length of the more numerous average sized barongs in this photo. Are barongs of this size this uncommon, the ratio of "normal" barongs to these small barongs makes it seem this way. Unless I am unaware of a thread floating around, I haven't seen a barong this small discussed on the forum before.
Attached Images

Pitt1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2022, 04:00 PM   #2
werecow

Could the curved sword be a Collins & Co. Legitimus machete maybe? Although it looks somewhat unusually curved.
Attached Images

werecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2022, 07:58 PM   #3
xasterix

So far the smallest old barung I've held is 10in blade, which would fit the size of the barungs in that picture.

With regard to modern blades, there are Sulu barungs that go for as small as 5in-blade, called "mini-barung."
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2022, 08:16 PM   #4
Pitt1999

The smallest barung I have seen had a 12 inch blade, but if I remember correctly it looked quite recently made. With small old barung, is it possible that they were made for children. The handles of the smaller ones in the photo seem to be noticeably smaller than the grips of the regular sized barung, although that could just be a case of smaller weapons not needing a normal sized handle. As for that curved sword, I know there are Collins machetes with more curved blades, the 376 and the 191 come to mind. The blade form of this sword is very different compared to the aforementioned machetes. I couldn't think of it in my initial post but I now see that, at least the blade, resembles a parang nabur.
Pitt1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2022, 10:05 PM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

There are at least three reasons I can think of for small bladed barung. Concealment, scaled down for a boy, or scaled down for a woman (Moro women did fight beside men if needed).

The smallest old barung I have owned had a blade of about 12 inches IIRC. I sold it to our forum owner, Dr Lee Jones, many years ago who may still have it.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2022, 09:25 PM   #6
CharlesS

One of the things I find most interesting about the photo is the fact that several of the barongs are etched exactly the way we might see them restored in a collection today, with very clearly visible pattern welded blades. Others seem to have plain, polished blades. Patterns seem harder to recognize on the krisses.

Last edited by CharlesS; 11th August 2022 at 12:27 PM.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2022, 05:20 PM   #7
JeffS

This one has a 12.5" blade, thick spine.
Attached Images

JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote