Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th August 2012, 02:59 PM   #1
Lee
EAAF Staff

Question African iron arrow points from a local antique shop

I have a friend who maintains a stall in a nearby antique shop and I will sometimes accompany him when he goes by to check in. One day, a few years ago, this box appeared with 45 iron pointy things in varying condition. They were offered at so much for choice or a slight discount for five or the whole box at a steep discount. The box had not been there for long and was still untouched. I could not decide which ones to acquire, so, being lazy but also doing the math, I bought the entire package deal. I later learned that the box had also been seen by another collector, who left them but was interested enough to research them. He made identification in a printed reference and returned the next day to be sorely disappointed that the box had vanished. (Usually I am so on the other side of this story.)

Anyone want to speculate on what these are before I share my interpretation?
Attached Images

Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 03:34 PM   #2
trenchwarfare

I have seen these arrow heads offered for sale in quantity, as African. Fleabay is full of them. Or was anyway. Given that so many are around, you have to question their age. Most are billed as 19th century, and could be. But as easy as iron is to "patinate" who knows.
trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 04:47 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

A NICE SELECTION OF AFRICAN POINTS. ITS DIFFICULT TO TELL AGE ON IRON POINTS AND IN SOME AREAS THESE ARE STILL IN USE FOR HUNTING.
THEY ARE NO LONGER USED FOR WAR BUT THAT IS BECAUSE THOSE WHO MAKE WAR THESE DAYS LIKE AK'S BETTER.
I HAVE A FAIR SELECTION OF THESE I DUG THRU A LARGE BIN FULL OF THEM A FEW YEARS AGO. THE REASON I LIKED THEM WAS THEY WERE WELL MADE AND HAD A GOOD DARK PATINA AND THE PRICE WAS RIGHT IF YOU BOUGHT IN VOLUME. THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LEE'S TRANSACTION AND MINE IS I SPENT QUITE A WHILE ENJOYING DIGGING THRU STUFF AND THERE WERE JUST TOO MANY POINTS AVAILABLE EVEN FOR ME TO TAKE THEM ALL.
THEY STRIKE ME AS GOOD POINTS MADE FOR USE NOT FOR TOURISTS. PERHAPS THE DEMAND DRYED UP AND THEY HAD A LARGE STOCK OF POINTS ON HAND. SOME DEALERS PICKED UP A LARGE STOCK AND PUT THEM ON THE MARKET. IT WOULD BE GOOD TO KNOW THE SOURCE OF THESE BY COUNTRY AND TRIBAL GROUP, PERHAPS SOME DEALER WOULD KNOW WHICH COUNTRY THEY COME FROM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 05:02 PM   #4
T. Koch

Hi Vandoo! Actually arrows still, albeit rarely, see their use in local conflicts in Africa. Back in 2008 during the wave of post-electorial violence that occurred after the final round of Kenya's presidential elections, the Maasai took up seme, bow and arrow against the Kikuyus.

I couldn't find a serious description of it for you, but here at least are some cool pictures : http://izismile.com/2009/10/15/a_war...a_18_pics.html

Cool arrowheads - thanks for sharing, Lee!

All the best, - Thor
T. Koch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2012, 06:19 AM   #5
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

HERE IS A PICTURE OF ONE FORM OF POINT THESE WERE 9.75 IN. LONG AND SAID TO BE FROM THE BURA CULTURE AND AROUND 100 YEARS OLD COULD BE USED FOR LIGHT SPEARS OR FOR ARROWS. 100 YEARS IS QUITE POSSIBLE AS THAT WOULD BE ONLY 34 YEARS BEFORE I WAS BORN, I KNEW MANY FAMILY MEMBERS AND FRIENDS FROM BEFORE THAT TIME.
I AM NOT OLD YET I'VE JUST BEEN AROUND FOR A WHILE.
FIRST PICTURE 3 WELL MADE BURA POINTS
SECOND MORE RECENT SMALLER NIGERIAN POINTS NOTE THE DIFFERENCE IN WORKMANSHIP.
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote