Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st October 2009, 12:27 PM   #1
eftihis

Default The wooden fighting sword-sticks of Crete

Hallo,

This an area that nothing is written up to now.
Made from hard wood, its greek name is "spathoravdi" or "spathoverga", meaning "sword-stick".
It was in use in all 19th century revolutions, and up in the begining of 20th century, being a weapon that you could made yourself, and armed with this, you were to take the real weapons from the enemy!
In fact, some people in mountain villages carrying it to the local coffe shop up to 1960s.
Possibly it has a much older history and origin,since they all follow a specific pattern and shape.
Attached Images

eftihis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 02:05 PM   #2
migueldiaz

thanks eftihis! the info and photos are very informative.

here in the philippines, there's a historic place called butuan city where prehispanic filipino sailing boats were found. aside from the boats, many other artifacts were also dug up.

the pic below is from a friend who recently visited butuan city. it shows wooden swords that were part of the archeological find.

i've always thought that these prehispanic wooden swords were used merely for training.

now that you mentioned that in greece some warriors used to be armed with this, i'm thinking now that perhaps in our own ancient past the practice was the same.

and in our case that is very plausible. because iron and steel as raw materials in olden philippines were not that common.

thus in our case, the art of stick fighting (arnis, etc.) became a highly developed martial art.

so thanks again for sharing the pics and info. it's quite interesting definitely
Attached Images

migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 02:21 PM   #3
migueldiaz

the auction for the wooden 'sword' below has just ended (ebay item 380160497379).

it's described as --

"You are bidding on a Negrito war club from the Philippines made from palmwood. It is a heavy large club and bears a museum mark as some of the other Philipinne weapons I am listing they all come from a museum via an auction house. It is carved like a to be used like a 2 edged sword and has also a carved grip as you can see. It has good patina and it is in good condition. Very nice to handle. Probably early 20th century."

i wonder if one of the forum members got this ...
Attached Images

migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 03:50 PM   #4
fearn

Neat stuff!

eftihis,

I wonder how much of that shape is due to a preferred pattern, and how much of it is due to the fact that, in Mediterranean climates, shrubs and trees with hard wood tend to have curving branches, and making a straight wooden sword would require more work than simply flattening a curved branch?

Great to see these! Anyone have an example of the magila from the Canary Islands?

Best,

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 10:39 AM   #5
Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearn

Great to see these! Anyone have an example of the magila from the Canary Islands?
Just to clarify, "makila" is the Basque word for "stick", and also a specific type of it :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makila

http://www.argia.com/makilak/makopaes.htm

There's also a Basque combat school using a big stick (quarterstaff-type), also called "makila", but it has nothing to do with the cane-type stick mentioned above.

On the other hand, the Canary Islands stick fighting is called "Juego del palo Canario" (Canary Stick Play):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juego_del_Palo

http://www.palocanario.com/Historia%20JPC%20INGLES.htm

I didn't know about the Cretan stick fighting. The specialized shape of the stick is fascinating. Thank you very much for pointing this up, Eftihis!
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 06:30 PM   #6
fearn

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the references!

To clarify my side, the Guanches ( Wikipedia link) had a long sword/club they called a magado or magido (it's listed as a mace on Wikipedia, but other references say it was long, wooden and sword-like). That's what I was wondering about. Supposedly, the magido was a chief's weapon, and they actually beat the Spaniards with this and other indigenous weapons, which makes for a good story (and might be true. A 15th Century British sailor with a quarterstaff took on a number of Spanish swordsman in duels, and beat them all).

I can easily believe that the guanches got the idea and the name "magido" from Basque whalers, but I was wondering what the Canary Island version looked like. And yes, I've read everything I can get my hands on regarding Juego del palo. I'm unclear on how much that sport is a descendent of the guanche martial traditions, and how much came over with the Europeans.

Best,

F
Old 1st October 2009, 04:31 PM   #7
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by eftihis
Hallo,

This an area that nothing is written up to now.
Made from hard wood, its greek name is "spathoravdi" or "spathoverga", meaning "sword-stick".
It was in use in all 19th century revolutions, and up in the begining of 20th century, being a weapon that you could made yourself, and armed with this, you were to take the real weapons from the enemy!
In fact, some people in mountain villages carrying it to the local coffe shop up to 1960s.
Possibly it has a much older history and origin,since they all follow a specific pattern and shape.
Very interesting, thank you for the information!
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 08:45 PM   #8
Tim Simmons

Very interesting. Nothing unreal about sword clubs. Get the blow in first and no matter how big you metal sword is you are unlikely to be in a condition to fight back. In good hands a wood sword club will break the arm/wrist of a target. Or a blow to the knee would see the target on the ground at your mercy. A blow to the head or face would have it in tears I am sure.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 10:40 PM   #9
fearn

Does anyone know where the phrase "forests are the arsenals of God" (link) came from? This is a great example of the people turning to that arsenal to arm themselves.

Best,

F