Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th February 2007, 12:24 PM   #31
Bill M

Rattan kris -- found it. Somehow this seems to fit with the kampilan. I can see some guy saying, "Blade is loose. I don't have a lot of time or money. FIX IT!"

I think that this kris and the kampilan make a nice pair.

Anyone else make up fantasy stories about your collection? While I am on this subject, does anyone seem to communicate with their weapons when you are cleaning and polishing them? I feel very much closer to them when I work on them.

Excuse me now, I am going to light some incense and a few candles . . . .
Attached Images

Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2007, 05:03 PM   #32
Tim Simmons

I think you all know I am not a man that cares for fantastic gobbledygook, truth is stranger than fiction. But I too find handling these objects a conduit to the past and a person in another land. When there is such a repair the objet almosts shouts back at you.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2007, 11:03 PM   #33
VANDOO
(deceased)

DAN
THAT WAS THE KAMPILIAN I WAS CONSIDERING TO REPRESENT THE SEA EAGLE. HERE ARE MY EXAMPLES OF A SEA EAGLE AND HAND OR PALM TREE HANDLE PLUS A NEWER ONE WITH A CROSSGAURD LIKE THE ONE AT THE START OF THE THREAD.
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2007, 12:19 AM   #34
Spunjer

vandoo,

sorry but my camera decided not to work today, but yes, it's made out of bone and as for its age, it arrived here either may or june of 1900. prior to that, the original owner didn't mention in his diaries as to how old it is.
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2007, 05:07 AM   #35
wilked aka Khun Deng

Default Birds and fish

Vandoo, Yep that is definately along the same lines. Since in Islam you can't represent living beings in art they are always represented in an abstract way, kinda working the boundaries of what's allowed. For my money I'd have to go with the bird (it's just so common in all the artwork I've seen) or a fish another very important symbol to the people who live down there (mine could just as easily represent a parrot fish - common fish down there and good eating). You'll see the representation of spread feathers (much as the one hilt you have mentioned as palm tree) and on many items down there especially kites. As well I've noticed a not uncommomn tendendacy to abstractly represent fins (which in the abstract can easily be mistaken for spread feathers or waves. That said I never heard anyone down there mention waves when describing a piece with either abstract, doesn't mean it's not what the artist intended just passing on my limited exposure.

Dan
wilked aka Khun Deng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2007, 05:20 AM   #36
wilked aka Khun Deng

Default The weapon speaks

Tim and Bill, Glad you brought this up. I have felt for a long time that there is no better way to really be connected to the past than cleaning up an old weapon. I know I at least think about who may have owned it and what the piece has seen and the stories it can still tell if we can only learn enough to hear its voice. That is a major part of the attraction for me, besides the desire to explore new cultures, the connection to the past and what it can tell us. We are all products of our past and as the world shrinks and we become closer we must know who each other is and where they have come from if we are to make this world prosper.

He sheds a tear at his own words Seriously though it's why I love this forum so much and the people like yourselves who make it what it is, gives me insights I couldn't get anywhere else.

Dan
wilked aka Khun Deng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2007, 12:42 PM   #37
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilked aka Khun Deng
Tim and Bill, Glad you brought this up. I have felt for a long time that there is no better way to really be connected to the past than cleaning up an old weapon. I know I at least think about who may have owned it and what the piece has seen and the stories it can still tell if we can only learn enough to hear its voice. That is a major part of the attraction for me, besides the desire to explore new cultures, the connection to the past and what it can tell us. We are all products of our past and as the world shrinks and we become closer we must know who each other is and where they have come from if we are to make this world prosper.

He sheds a tear at his own words Seriously though it's why I love this forum so much and the people like yourselves who make it what it is, gives me insights I couldn't get anywhere else.

Dan
Thank you Dan for your wonderful post.

Years ago a good friend (Stefan Thomas, Atlanta) cast this motto in huge letters in his garden; "This world is too small for less than Brotherhood and to Dangerous for less than Truth." At first this seemed pompous to me, but now I begin to see what Stefan meant.

These pieces are really time machines! Though the original makers and owners have a different language than most of us, the pieces seem to speak in images and emotions.

Touching is incredibly important! How many of us say that while we can look at the pictures, we cannot really 'tell' about a piece unless we hold it in our hands?

And that "touch" leads us to a visceral feeling in the solar plexus? There is no question in my mind but that we, every one of us, who has had that feeling, has connected with some of that history.

I think that this is one of the reasons we so passionately collect them. AND the more we touch, hold, clean and polish these remarkable relics, the more we can connect with the past.

As I mentioned earlier in this post, these pieces are a conduit to the past, a past that no longer exists in present cultures.

Javanese believed that the keris was a way to stay in touch with their ancestors. Some rulers gave a keris to subordinates as a symbol of their authority and that the power of the rulers, and their predecessors, flowed through the keris to them.

Unfortunately in too many cultures the past is not venerated any longer. It is felt riddled with superstition and sadly, technology has replaced much of the magic.

These relics still represent that past. Through them we can, if we listen and are receptive, still find some of that otherwise lost heritage. As an American it is harder for me to connect with the peoples and places my collection represents. I must go there. Soon, I will.

As some of you know, I would like to publish a book, not a vanity piece, but something that delves deeply into history, religion, political structure, art, culture as well as the technology behind these pieces.

I am woefully inadequate to do so, while I have knowledge of the mechanical process, (printing, photography, etc) I know my limitations, but a surprising number of people are coming forth to be part of this process, this journey. The book is certainly many years away, but the Journey has begun. And somehow the Journey is the important thing to me.

I, too, have gained insights from the members of this Forum, but even more importantly have connected with people from all over the world who do share a common brotherhood.

Fellow travelers.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote