Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17th July 2010, 01:09 AM   #1
laEspadaAncha

Question African Spears - Help ID Please...

So yesterday I acquired a decent-sized collection of African antiques and artifacts, including about 20 various pieces of arms and armor. Among these were several nice older shields and a half-dozen spears. I have no problems attributing the shields (and most of the swords/knives for that matter) to their respective tribal origins, but am largely clueless with regards to the spears.

Among the spears are what I would think are both throwing spears and stabbing spears. I think (the largest) one or two might be Kuba, but I just don't know. Below are photos of each (along with the other lone African spear I already owned), along with their relevant (approximate) dimensions. Please pardon the poor picture quality.

In the first photo, of the group, the tape measure is extended out to six feet, or 183 cm. Measurements for each are provided with each photo... Due to the number of images, I'll have to split this across several posts.

Thanks Lew, Tim, et al, for any and all assistance you can provide...

Rgds,

Chris

Group:

Spear 1:

Spear head length: 26 1/2 in. / 67 cm
Width at widest: 4 3/4 in. / 12 cm
Ferrule/socket length: 2 3/4 in. / 7 cm
Ferrule/socket diameter at shaft: +/- 7/8 in. / 2 cm
Notes: Same basic grind and similar incisions to no. 2. Long (4 ft.) metal spike opposite spear head.

Spear 2:

Spear head length: 24 1/2 in. / 62 cm
Width at widest: 4 1/2 in. / 11.5 cm
Ferrule/socket length: 3 in. / 7.5 cm
Ferrule/socket diameter at shaft: approx. 7/8 in. / 2 cm
Notes: As noted, same grind pattern and incised design (shown above) as no. 1. Secured to its (original?) shaft. 9 inches of iron banding beneath the ferrule (appears there was at one time 11 inches).

Last edited by laEspadaAncha; 17th July 2010 at 05:40 AM.
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote