Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd December 2016, 08:29 AM   #1
satsujinken

Default unusual keris

Hi

this one is from my private collection. Got this keris around 7 - 8 years ago, almost for free, after the previous owner died and his son no longer wanted to keep one

eyes can be deceiving, so is with this particular keris

this one is rather small, only about 30 cm in overall length with balinese dress, specially made for this blade - perfectly fit

what do you think ?

Donny
Attached Images

satsujinken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 08:34 AM   #2
satsujinken

closer look

and why do I think this one is unique, because eyes can be deceiving

you can look closely and you'll find nothing unusual, just plain old keris in not so good quality

but this one, most probably THE BLADE was made from WOOD, not metal. It is very light, and by light I mean very light wood. You will be surprised when you see it and then held it personally

now the story becoming murky, as the previous owner's son only said this was one of the pusaka owned by his late father and specially cared, and even oiled regularly

why making a keris from wood ? and why bother masking it to look like a metal ? spiritual reasons ?

why wasting effort to make specific dress for it ? why care for it if it's just a "toy"

any comments ?

Donny
Attached Images

Old 22nd December 2016, 09:43 AM   #3
Jean

Hello Donny,
The dress is Madurese and probably recent, not Balinese? Astonishing wooden blade!
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 12:28 PM   #4
Rafngard

I think "The World of the Javanese Keris" mentions something about dancers using keris made from leather. Perhaps this is related?

Thanks,
Leif
Rafngard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 02:07 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Yes, i would agree with Jean that the dress is rather low end and recent Madura dress. This is the kind of dress most often found on replica keris sold in import stores around the world and probably in local markets for tourist. However, those usually have cast iron blades, not wood.
Since this was kept as a treasured item i am inclined to lean toward Leif's suggestion that this object may have been a theatre prop that perhaps belonged to someone in the family of this person you received it from, but i wouldn't place that dress older than the 1960s or 70s. Of course the "blade" could be older than that, i suppose, but suspect this object isn't quite as old as you think it might be. It would not seem all that unusual to consider such an object to be a family pusaka if your grandfather (or grandmother) was an accomplished dancer or deep into wayang and had passed this down to the father and then the son.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2016, 02:40 AM   #6
satsujinken

thanks for the input

I will try to contact my friend (this keris was one of his father's pusaka, before he passed away) to gather more stories

and after some discussion with couple of friends yesterday, they suggest me to try to put it into water .... see if it's really floats. I strongly believed it will

will update the info, soon
Old 23rd December 2016, 03:06 AM   #7
satsujinken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafngard
I think "The World of the Javanese Keris" mentions something about dancers using keris made from leather. Perhaps this is related?

Thanks,
Leif
leather ?? hmmm ... I don't think it's leather, wood is the most probable
Old 23rd December 2016, 01:32 PM   #8
Rafngard

Quote:
Originally Posted by satsujinken
leather ?? hmmm ... I don't think it's leather, wood is the most probable
Right, sorry. To be clear, I do not doubt that it is wood.
My thought was that if we have one cultural context for a non-metal keris, then two is at least possible. I thought maybe it was related, but not the same.

That said, hey, if one person made a prop from leather, why couldn't another make one from wood?

Thanks,
Leif
Rafngard is offline   Reply With Quote