Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th December 2010, 04:14 AM   #1
RSWORD

Default Unusual Arab Islamic African sword with inscription

From my private collection is an interesting sword that seems to show multiple cultural influences so its exact origin is a bit of a mystery to me so I figure this is a good place to start a discussion. The silver work in the entire piece remind me very much of Arab work. All the leather remind me very much of Sudanese work. The blade, however, seems more tribal African to me as far as the decorations and workmanship of the blade. It is a very good blade, but not of the quality of locally produced Arab or African pieces. There is an Islamic inscription on each side of the blade that hopefully can be translated and add to the story. It is very well preserved but given the oral provenance received on the piece I would place it in the late 19th century. When I first saw it, I thought it might be an Omani one-of but there are enough peculiarities to it, I'm not so sure but I definitely see the Arab influence in the silver work. In any case, I have not run across a similar example before and look forward to your thoughts on origin.
Attached Images

RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 04:16 AM   #2
RSWORD

Some additional pictures including the inscription to blade.
Attached Images

Old 6th December 2010, 04:50 AM   #3
Iain

I'm struck by the resemblance with Tebu short swords. The scabbard suspension is clearly Chadic/Sudanese.

Is the hilt iron with one piece construction between guard and pommel? Something of the design resembles Mandingo pommels.

The decorative style of the blad conforms to various Chadic groups, similar line designs around the edges can be seen on Chadic daggers. I like the profile of the blade, better geometry than I was expecting.

Hopefully someone can get something out of the inscription. I have seen references to short swords in Nigeria and the Bornu region but never really seen one to compare this with.

A lovely piece, I'm officially intrigued.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 12:42 PM   #4
RSWORD

Hi Iain,

Thank you for the feedback. I had thought about Tebu daggers when looking at the protrusion at the top of the handle. This is the only exposed metal part, it is steel, nicely worked. The grip is leather wrapped and then you have nice quality silver mounts at the top and bottom of the grip. It is the silverwork that is throwing off a full Chadic attribution as I don't recall seeing any examples from those regions with this quality of silver work. Like you say, hopefully the blade inscription will provide some details. I'm also hoping some of the other African collectors will provide some opinions.
Old 6th December 2010, 01:37 PM   #5
A.alnakkas

most beautiful.

the first picture inscription is a verse from the Quran commonly used on swords, it says "victory from God is near, so bring the good tidings of heaven to the believers, O Mohammed"

the last picture inscription says ".... alsultan Ali Dinar" first word is unreadable atm.

the bottom inscription says " .... alsultan .... 3 . 9" the dots are words/numbers i couldnt read.

remarkable piece
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 02:50 PM   #6
Iain

Well that might break it open... If someone can read the date I'd bet this could be a reference to Sultan Ali Dinar of Darfur (1856-1916).
Old 6th December 2010, 07:05 PM   #7
RSWORD

A. Alnakkas, thank you for the translation assistance. This provides a very interesting potential insight into this sword. Iain, I agree, if the date will correspond, this very well could be a sword or something gifted, to Sultan Ali Dinar of Darfur. This would definitely tie together the influences I am seeing in this sword. Sounds like I need to clean up the blade a bit around the inscription so it is fully legible. Will work on that over the next couple of days. I have also noticed an inscription on the leather on the handle. While more difficult to photograph I need to add it to the discussion as well.
Old 8th December 2010, 01:39 AM   #8
RSWORD

I cleaned up the inscription area so that it is hopefully more legible now. I also got the best picture of an inscription on the leather on the handle.

I am surprised I haven't had more thoughts/comments about this piece. I would appreciate any thoughts about the cross cultural influences found in this piece. Also, the inscription has some interesting potential with the Sultan Ali Dinar reference.
Attached Images

Old 8th December 2010, 12:15 PM   #9
A.alnakkas

hello!

the inscription says (top one first) "mulk alsultan Ali Dinar" it means: owned by the Sultan Ali Dinar. the bottom one says "ibn alsultan Zaid?" it means: son of the Sultan Zaid. but am not sure of the last word is Zaid or not.

A.Alnakkas
Old 8th December 2010, 03:21 PM   #10
RSWORD

Hello Abdullatif. Could the second inscription be "ibn alSultan Zakariya". According to some online research, the father of Sultan Ali Dinar was Zakariya. Now, the question begs is whether or not this is actually a sword owned by Sultan Ali Dinar or not? Is anyone familiar enough with him to know of his familial backgrounds? I am still curious on the cross cultural influences I am seeing in this piece. I guess with the inscription this would place the piece circa 1898-1916? Jim? Stephen? I know you guys have done a lot of research in this region. Any thoughts?
Old 8th December 2010, 03:52 PM   #11
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWORD
Hello Abdullatif. Could the second inscription be "ibn alSultan Zakariya". According to some online research, the father of Sultan Ali Dinar was Zakariya. Now, the question begs is whether or not this is actually a sword owned by Sultan Ali Dinar or not? Is anyone familiar enough with him to know of his familial backgrounds? I am still curious on the cross cultural influences I am seeing in this piece. I guess with the inscription this would place the piece circa 1898-1916? Jim? Stephen? I know you guys have done a lot of research in this region. Any thoughts?
thats correct! it is Zakariya, explains alot
Old 8th December 2010, 04:14 PM   #12
Iain

Ali Dinar was a grandson of the last Keyra Fur sultan. The dynasty that ruled Dar Fur for quite a while (centuries as I recall). Can't find much else quickly online and most of my references are for further west in Sahel.

I think this sword is certainly of a level where it could have been owned by the sultan. The silver work is not out of line for Dar Fur being also seen on some of the more elaborate kaskara. I did turn up an old auction catalog reference for a kaskara owned by Dinar. P. Missillier and H. Ricketts 1988, no. 257 if that helps.

I still feel this piece is very reliant on Tebu form but the pommel has me stumped.
Old 9th December 2010, 12:42 PM   #13
RSWORD

Hi Iain,

I agree there are a lot of Tebu similarities in both the scabbard and the handle. The Tebu were present in the Sudan and I was reading in one of my reference books that Sultan Ali Dinar had a large personal collection of swords and other arms. He seemed quite fond of that so to have a variety of styles, especially maybe out of respect of some of the ethnic groups that were in his area, may have been important to him. I agree that there are some good possibilities this is one of his swords. The inscription is in line with many I can find referenced. I also found a kaskara referenced that had those extra hanging pieces. I have not seen this in any other sword before so the fact another kaskara with similar inscription and similar extra hanging pieces is the type of circumstantial evidence that I am comfortable saying my sword was probably owned by Sultan Ali Dinar but unless I can run across a photograph that shows him with this sword it would be difficult to say it definitely was owned by him. Anyone have a large photo archive of Sultan Ali Dinar?
Old 9th December 2010, 12:51 PM   #14
Iain

Hi, which hanging pieces are you referring to? The leather strings on the scabbard?

I'm still looking around for more info on this. Usually there is more than one of something or at least something in a similar style but this is, well just, odd and rare.
Old 10th December 2010, 12:31 PM   #15
RSWORD

Yes, those leather strings with the ball finials that are attached to the shoulder harness are what I am referring to. I agree it is an unusual and rare example as I also have not run across a similar example. I am surprised nobody has joined our discussion as usually mysterious or unusual pieces spark some theories. Please, does anyone have any comments on this one?
Old 10th December 2010, 04:00 PM   #16
Iain

While I haven't seen the ball finials before (thanks for pointing them out!) leather cords on kaskaras I've seen before integrated into the shoulder strap (I actually just sold one a week or so ago on the swap forum). Not sure of the reason for them of if they denote a region?

I'm also a bit surprised there's not more interest here. Folks we have a sword with a very good potential to have been owned by an important historical figure, that's about as good as it gets. So heck I'll throw a theory out there. There's something here that strikes me as resembling a kinjal. Ali Dinar was allied with the Ottomans and nominally under their rule. Perhaps the sword was made in a supposed Turkish style because of this?
Old 10th December 2010, 04:09 PM   #17
CharlesS

This piece is fascinating for so many different reasons...where to start???....obviously the name attribution makes it far more "personal" than we collectors typically see.

The sword's features seemingly are influences not only from the Sudan, but embody the very nature of even the very earliest Islamic swords(notably the hilt).

I think this is one of the most fascinating pieces to show up on the forum in some time.

Good get Rick!

Congrats!!
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote