Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd July 2016, 03:02 PM   #1
Athanase

Default Solo keris for comment.

Hello,
Here is a Solo keris (I think) with a strong straight blade.
The pamor is simple (Ngulit Semangka?), but I have failed to identify the Dapur.

The blade measures 34.5 cm and the selut is made of copper (or copper alloys) with gilding.
Attached Images

Athanase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2016, 07:11 PM   #2
Sajen

Don't look Central Javanese to my eyes, I would place this keris more to East Java or to the North Coast, I tend to the last one. Would be interesting what others have to say.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2016, 08:10 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

I would agree Detlef, that dress is not Solo.
Sempana Bener might be a good guess on dhapur, though as far as i know that dhapur does not include greneng beyond the gonjo and on yours it seems to extend onto the blade itself. Closer images of the base of the blade might be helpful.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2016, 10:42 PM   #4
Athanase

Yes greneng begins on the blade.
This is a detail that was that I could not find the dapur.
I thought he came from Solo due to the handle.
For warangka gayaman I can recognize those of Madura and Yogyakarta but not those of other Java region. I don't know what is good documentation on this subject.

Thank you for your help.
Athanase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2016, 10:47 PM   #5
A. G. Maisey

Nothing at all Solo about this keris.

It is fairly rustic work, and I cannot associate it with any kraton style. It has elements of both North Coast Jawa and East Jawa, but it could be from anywhere in Jawa or from anywhere with a Javanese influence.
A. G. Maisey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2016, 07:15 AM   #6
satrionumpaknogo

Madura bro ..

U see to determined Kris from which era or area you need to look on the blade not the warangka bcoz warangka or the sheet n handle can be from anywhere depend on the owner favourite

Me for example I like Walikat I dont like Solo or Jogja style. Walikat bcoz it is sheet use back in Majapahit Era, Singhasari even Medang Kamulan kingdom n it is plane wood no pendok or anything..simple n practical.

Is it means my Kris from Majapahit..for some yes but others from Tuban era, Mataram era even Madura Sumenep Dalem era

Now regarding ur Kris it is not made by Mpu kraton like others mentioned I agree however Kris is more than just wht meet the eyes. It is the wisdom n the wielder willingness to practice the wisdom in everyday life is wht count.

Salam Rahayu
satrionumpaknogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016, 04:52 AM   #7
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrionumpaknogo
Me for example I like Walikat I dont like Solo or Jogja style.
Welcome to the forum Rahayu.
Perhaps you can clear up something for me. You say above that you like Walikat, but not Solo or Jogja. It seems like you are mixing apples and oranges, as they say. Solo and Jogja are regions, kingdoms, while Walikat is a style of sheath. Are you really saying you prefer Walikat to Gayaman and Ladrang style sheaths? That would make more sense to me. It has always been my understanding that each of these sheath forms serves a different social function so personally i embrace them all, though i understand your preference for the simple and elegant forms that Walikat sheaths can take.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2016, 08:03 PM   #8
Jean

Hello,
Only the hilt is from Solo IMO (but with a very curved shape), the blade and scabbard rather look from East Java. The blade has a simple dapur (kembang kacang, jalen, lambe gajah, pejetan, full greneng, and grooves on the sirah cecak like Balinese blades) which may be identified as Kala Dete according to the EK, and the pamor pattern as Pedaringan Kebak. Other opinions are welcome!
Regards
PS: I agree with Detlef that the blade may also originate from the North Coast.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote