Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th March 2009, 03:23 AM   #1
ausjulius

Default chinese knives and daggers........

hello, well im after some info ,
there was a chap on another forum, a knife forum, that wanted information about traditional chinese knives,
not the mongolian style belt knives that were popular in china during the manchus, or knives from ethnic groups that are currently under chinese control ,like tibetian or turkmen or mongol styles.

but actual chinese styles of knives and folding knives,
i am familiar with many of the styles , but when i tryed to search to find some images , the only ones i could find were of the little fish shaped friction folders..

i couldnt even find any pics of the taiwanese clasp knives..

has anyone got any details or any links to sites that might have more information in traditional chinese knife styles.
both utility belt knives and fighting knives or working choppers..
ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 06:19 AM   #2
KuKulzA28

well, there's the Taiwanese/Cantonese knife that's got an eggplant shaped handle and a bamboo leaf blade. There's a man in Shih-ling area of Taipei, Taiwan who still makes them. I hope to acquire one, but he makes only one a day and is backed up with orders.

The website might be temporarily down.. link
another good site for to see it is here

there's also Uighur(?) blades that are on this site ...which may also be down
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 02:15 AM   #3
ausjulius

hi thanks , yes , these are nice knives, ive got some place a taiwanese friction folder with a bras bird shaped handle , looks influence by the japanese higonokami.
how much do these taiwanese knives sell for??

the uighur knives are not chinese though, and have nothing in common with traditional chinese knives... .. turco-iranian .. http://yengisar.com/en/index.asp# here is a working link

i was after information about chinese knives, ive seen many "bowie style" chopping knives and small utility belt knives with clip point blades, and also machete like knives,
as well as several styles of dagger that are chinese,, but alas i cant find any photos of these style of weapon,
some ove seen look like big bowie knives with s shaped guards, others more like small bowie knives with pinned grips and a rather unpointed clip point blade. among many other styles.. .
ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 03:26 AM   #4
KuKulzA28

the folding knives from Shih-ling can be a bit expensive. About $116 for a 4" bladed one. I hope to get one someday. However, remember this is one of the only known traditional makers of these knives. Taiwanese (Sino and Aboriginal) cutlery is dying out, quickly being replaced by cheap factory-made pieces.
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote