Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th February 2007, 10:20 PM   #1
FenrisWolf

Default Jambiya restoration Take 2

Well, the process is proceeding. First attempt at bringing up the pattern produced mixed results. The ferric chloride solution was effective (2 Tsp. powder/8 oz. water), but I picked up spring water by mistake, and the predicted brown staining occured. I also didn't have a large enough pan to immerse the blade completely, and the method I used with the lime juice (cotton swabs) equalled a spotty finish. Here's the results:

My plan now is to attempt to use crocus cloth to buff out the brown; failing that, taking it back to 600 aluminum oxide wet/dry followed by the crocus. Once the blade is prepped I'll mix a larger batch of soultion, this time with DISTILLED water, and make sure I have some way to immerse the blade completely. New photos will follow the next attempt.
FenrisWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2007, 01:27 AM   #2
Gt Obach

the distilled water is a good idea.... and keep your etch time abit shorter...

-- you must dry the blade immediately after pulling from the etch..... or rust will instantly be there..... use a drying agent to speed it up... such as methyl alcohol ...wipe it on as soon as you pull from the etch.....
-- that staining you see will be very hard to remove...

i'd start over... the 600 to 1000 grit is a good idea... and don't burnish the steel

lots of fun this repolishing..

Greg
Gt Obach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2007, 02:55 AM   #3
DaveS

Iv'e etched many, many blades, both wootz and layered steel. My experience with ferric chloride has been that no matter what, it will give a slightly greenish-brown tinge to the steel. Wether this is due to the acid possibly containing some compound of chlorine i do not know. Try using phosphoric acid. It goes under the name "metal etch" at Orchard Supply Hardware. I have used it for many years on layered steel such as on moro swords, and i feel it gives a MUCH better etch and is easier to use. You don't even need to dilute it AT ALL!!!!!!. It has the added advantage of not turning silver black as ferric chloride does. Normally i etch wootz with ferric, but the last few times i have etched wootz with phosphoric with outstanding results. Also i have never had any problems using plain tap water, but that might have something to do with the minerals that occur naturally in the water, and would vary from area to area. As someone just stated, you do want to dry the blade as quickly as possible because as you have seen it starts to rust instantly...........Dave
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2007, 03:11 AM   #4
DaveS

I forgot to add that i use a resin brush to apply the acid, brushing it on one side and then turning the blade and brushing it on the other side. Keep turning and brushing and observing the blade until you get the desired amount of color change. Iv,e also found that when you start to apply the acid that you get both sides wet quickly and keep them wet until you rinse the blade. Another way you can get a little more contrast especially on layered steel is to very carefully heat the blade evenly with a propane torch. It just needs to be heated just enough to open the pores in the steel. Done correctly, you will have a beautiful contrast between the high and low carbon areas. The acid will sometimes smoke a little bit but this does not effect the quality of the etch..............Dave
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2007, 11:30 PM   #5
spiral

Dave, what percentage phosphoric acid. Is "metal etch" ?

I can get 81% phosphoric acid localy but I think that may be rather to strong?

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote