Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 7th October 2009, 04:35 PM   #1
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking
Default 15th to 17th Century German War Flails

In chronological order from top.

All of them are preserved in the German Historic Museum Berlin, except for the 15th c. detached head illustrated in color, which is in a private collection and the fore end stabilizing ring and central spike of which are both missing now.

Please note the Gothic roped decoration on the reinforcing bands of the 15th c. items.

Best,
Michael
Attached Images

Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 04:41 PM   #2
Matchlock
(deceased)

The rest.
Attached Images

Old 7th October 2009, 10:29 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

These are certainly intimidating looking items and while incredibly basic tools, clearly were effective in use for many centuries. Although they were used against armour clad individuals (intendedly of course) it is interesting that the impact from these weapons could severely dent armour, even to the point of transmitting blunt force wounds to the individual.

The force of impact could also unhorse the opponent, as well as compromise the integrity of the armour so that the unhorsed combatant might be attacked on foot.

The writhen or roped support elements on the 15th century examples makes me wonder if that feature was a strengthening rather than aesthetic use.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 10:35 AM   #4
Matchlock
(deceased)

The writhen or roped support elements on the 15th century examples makes me wonder if that feature was a strengthening rather than aesthetic use.

Best regards,
Jim[/QUOTE]

Hi Jim,

I guess in this case it actually was a bit of both.

Generally I think it was mostly for decorative purposes though. As I have tried to put out in my threads several times the roped or writhen decoration is a characteristic stylistic element of all ironwork, including A&A, from the late 15th to the mid 16th century. It is found as a filed ornament on the brims of Gothic sallets and 'Maximilian' suits of armor, as well as on barrel sections, springs etc. of firearms or the pommels and cross guards of swords of the 1520's-40's.

However, its use was not limited to ironwork. You will find roped bands carved on all Late Gothic/Early Renaissance furniture, on apothecary bronze mortars etc. so that one can safely state that this stylistic element was applied to all arts and crafts alike.

Best wishes as ever,
your friend Michael
Old 12th October 2009, 02:41 PM   #5
broadaxe

Although the flail is a clumsy weapon, hard to retrieve and poor as defence, its impact was probably the worst - especially the ball & chain combination. It generates considerably more power than a mace. I saw a TV show on the History channel where they had made a historic replica (2 pounds ball with short blunt spikes) and tried it on an armored pig carcass. The armor was of course dented, and while the pig skin remained unharmed, the tissues within became like jello and the bones were pulverized.
broadaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 04:13 PM   #6
Matchlock
(deceased)

Hi broadaxe,

Yup, flails were not exactly toys!

Best,
Michael
Old 12th October 2009, 05:32 PM   #7
Matchlock
(deceased)

Default An Unusual Peasants Wars Flail, 1530's, Formerly in my Collection

You can see it on the first image, lying left in the foreground in front of my contemporary four barreled mace.

It was made from the grip and writhen pommel of a two hand sword, ca. 1525-30, retaining its original leather covering over a cord binding, the twisted iron part retaining an old minium (red lead) paint, the chain acting either vertically or horizontally only, just like the chain on a bicycle or wheel-lock, and the head consisting of a polygonal sword pommel of ca. 1400.

I had owned that piece for amost a decade before selling it Hermann Historica, Munich, Oct 6, 2008.

I guess many collectors face circumstances every once in while being forced to deaccession of one item or the other in order to raise funds for new acquisitions that fit the collection even better. Still miss the piece though.

Best,
Michael
Attached Images

Old 12th October 2009, 08:43 PM   #8
kisak

The full sized pictures of the writhen flail on Hermann Historica's website can be found here:
http://www.hermann-historica.de/aukt..._max/73797.jpg
http://www.hermann-historica.de/aukt...ax/73797_b.jpg
kisak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 05:18 AM   #9
Matchlock
(deceased)

[QUOTE=Matchlock]You can see it on the first image, lying left in the foreground in front of my contemporary four barreled mace.

It was made from the grip and writhen pommel of a two hand sword, ca. 1525-30, retaining its original leather covering over a cord binding, the twisted iron part retaining an old minium (red lead) paint, the chain acting either vertically or horizontally only, just like the chain on a bicycle or wheel-lock, and the head consisting of a polygonal sword pommel of ca. 1500.

I had owned that piece for amost a decade before selling it Hermann Historica, Munich, Oct 6, 2008.

Attached please find a pommel of identical type on a North Italian sword, ca. 1500, preserved at the Palazzo Ducale Venice.

Michael
Attached Images

Old 24th October 2009, 06:00 AM   #10
Matchlock
(deceased)

Default A Funny 19th Century 'Croatian' Flail of Decorative Function Only

Overall length of the wooden haft, reinforced with side straps only over the first 50 cm, 252.5 cm, diameter of the spiked ball, including the ring for the chain, 20 cm, weight of the ball ca. 12 kg (!).

Especially the form and largeness of the spiked ball indicates a relatively late date which can by no means have been contemporary with any actual use in combat. The tentative dating "15th-16th century" given by the Landszeughaus Graz can be ruled out solidly by an open minded comparison of the weight of the huge ball (ca. 12 kg!) and the strikingly incongrouos, long and delicate wooden staff. Reinforced or not, the latter would have cracked immediately below the straps.

Serious historic argumentation can only lead to the conclusion that this, at best, has to be counted among those typical 19th century Historismus items that, just like the two hand swords of the period, were ridiculously overexaggerated in their dimensions until total impracticability and made for 'romance' wall decoration with a wink of heroism only.

It should be mentioned in the end that this object, impressive and bewildering as it may be, was acquired by the Landeszeughus Graz in 1940.

Michael, still grinning ...
Attached Images

Last edited by Matchlock; 24th October 2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 24th October 2009, 11:06 AM   #11
broadaxe

Matchlock, well said. Another sign I always use is to observe the chain: this one clearly looks industrial, with small uniform links, round cross section. 1500's era chains (well, most pre-industy chains, excluding fusee chains for use in precision movements such as in clocks) have large, uneven links with forge welded seam and square cross section.
broadaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 05:41 PM   #12
Matchlock
(deceased)

Exactly, broadaxe,

On second thought however this massive chain is at least strong enough to bear the weight of the spiked ball ...