Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 5th January 2007, 11:40 AM   #1
paolo

Default Bendo

Hi all,
I have this bendo (Van Zonneveld book pag.34). I have found no thread on this kind of tool/weapon. Looking at the sheat it seems from Java. Someone knows what does mean the mark "UKI" on the blade?
Any help will be appreciated.
Regards
Paolo
Attached Images

paolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2007, 01:18 PM   #2
Alam Shah

A quick search shows that UKI is a trademark in UK(?).
See here... http://www.patent.gov.uk/tm/t-journa...c/2425142.html

Bendo are mostly found in Java but can be found on the coastal areas of Sumatra too, afaik. This bendo's hilt is a simplified form, made of horn. Usually it is more decorated.

Last edited by Alam Shah; 5th January 2007 at 04:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2007, 03:26 PM   #3
katana

Are you sure the middle letter is a 'K'
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2007, 03:40 PM   #4
paolo

Alam,
Also I'm a little confused. Really I bought it in England, but it was detailed as XIX century; I guessed first half of XX, but the trademark You sent is really too recent.

Katana,
The pic of the mark is all I can give to you !

Regards
Paolo
Old 5th January 2007, 06:43 PM   #5
Henk

Paolo,

I think that UKI is the mark of the maker. Something tells me your blade isn't very old, I guess second half of the XX century.

This is mine. Also a rather simple example.
Attached Images

Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2007, 10:17 PM   #6
paolo

Henk,
very nice. The hilt and also of the scabbard looks very similar in shape to my one.
Paolo
Old 5th January 2007, 11:48 PM   #7
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

There was a discussion of bendo here some time ago: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=841

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2007, 01:06 AM   #8
Alam Shah

Another lookup shows that UKI could also be an acronym for United Kingdom and Ireland (UKI) .

Bendo (java)/benda (malay) literally translated means 'a thing'.

Here is my parang pendek, a 1982 piece, with a spring steel blade. Check out the stamping on the blade. Just a comparison.

Here, a 19th century piece with horn sheath, not a bendo but a badik, for comparison.

Last edited by Alam Shah; 6th January 2007 at 10:39 AM. Reason: add links
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2007, 08:18 AM   #9
paolo

Night is the mother of counsel : might be that a newer blade was added to an older hilt and sheat ? Pheraps the origial blade was worn for use ?
However thank you for the very useful interesting inputs you give to a neophyte like I'm
Regards
Paolo
Old 6th January 2007, 03:02 PM   #10
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

I think this bendo is complete and original.
The blade is not IMO an import; rather it most likely bears the mark of the local smith .
My guesstimation of age is mid 20th C.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 04:30 PM   #11
paolo

Thumbs up

Thank You for your help.
Regards
Paolo
Old 16th January 2007, 01:58 AM   #12
ferrylaki

Default java bendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by paolo
Thank You for your help.
Regards
Paolo
hi all,
as a javanese I would like to say that this bendo possibly a new made.
old bendo would not have the scrath/ those lines couse from sharpening tools.
most javanese bendo made from very soft iron with no specialities such as beautifil shape/dimension, easily sharpen and easy to be dulled.
bendo mostly used as a tool than a weapon. farmer and trader in the market use them mosly. recent made and old bendo used to have black colour as a preventation to the rust. the blade are mostly thin using wooden holder.

old javanese prever to use kerises or pedang/sword as a weapon.
it is very hard to find an old bendo couse it usually rusted badly during its age.
bendo are very cheap in its origin(java/indonesia)

i will try to find an old bendo for you guys....since I'm a new member in this forum I'll try to share any information I could give.

as information for this forum....I just knew that antique dealers in jakarta Indonesia show me this kind of old Dutch Klewang...is it worth to be collect?
as a new member I'd like to get some advice....they offered this klewang fer US$ 65 each. 30 pieces they have.

thanks....
ferrylaki
Attached Images

ferrylaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 04:07 AM   #13
A. G. Maisey

Paolo, I'm not at all certain that the name for this implement that you have posted pics of is "bendo".

In Javanese the correct spelling of "bendo" is "bendho"---the "o" is slightly aspirated. Bendho is a Javanese word and I do not know if it is found in Sundanese.

The implement you have shown pics of appears to be from Sunda, probably Bandung production.

I know that van Zonneveldt shows it as a "bendo", but he draws upon another source, so we cannot hold him responsible for the name.

It may be that in Sunda this implement is known as a "bendo", but if it is, it must not be confused with the bendho of Central Jawa.

The bendho that we use in Central Jawa is a completely different shape to the shape of the implement that you show.As ferrylaki advises, in Central Jawa these days it is used as a tool, however, in earlier times it was used as a weapon.

As I state above, the Javanese name for a particular type of cutting implement is "bendho". The word "bendo" does not exist in Javanese, however, in Indonesian, which is based upon a dialect of Malay, the word "benda" does exist, which means "thing". In colloquial Javanese speech this word "benda" would be pronounced "bendo" by many, if not most speakers, when they were using Indonesian.

Ferrylaki, I note that you live in Solo. If you would like to see some examples of old bendho, may I suggest you visit Musium Radyapustaka on Jalan Slamet Riyadi, near Sri Wedari.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 11:18 AM   #14
ferrylaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Paolo, I'm not at all certain that the name for this implement that you have posted pics of is "bendo".

In Javanese the correct spelling of "bendo" is "bendho"---the "o" is slightly aspirated. Bendho is a Javanese word and I do not know if it is found in Sundanese.

The implement you have shown pics of appears to be from Sunda, probably Bandung production.

I know that van Zonneveldt shows it as a "bendo", but he draws upon another source, so we cannot hold him responsible for the name.

It may be that in Sunda this implement is known as a "bendo", but if it is, it must not be confused with the bendho of Central Jawa.

The bendho that we use in Central Jawa is a completely different shape to the shape of the implement that you show.As ferrylaki advises, in Central Jawa these days it is used as a tool, however, in earlier times it was used as a weapon.

As I state above, the Javanese name for a particular type of cutting implement is "bendho". The word "bendo" does not exist in Javanese, however, in Indonesian, which is based upon a dialect of Malay, the word "benda" does exist, which means "thing". In colloquial Javanese speech this word "benda" would be pronounced "bendo" by many, if not most speakers, when they were using Indonesian.

Ferrylaki, I note that you live in Solo. If you would like to see some examples of old bendho, may I suggest you visit Musium Radyapustaka on Jalan Slamet Riyadi, near Sri Wedari.
I'm going to visit the museum next week. during muharam there will be a ceremonial in solo. peoplegonna show pusaka from the old keraton collection. I'll try to get some pictures from old 'bendho' in the museum. may be I'll add more pictures about old javanese weapon also.
thax again....
Old 16th January 2007, 01:47 PM   #15
paolo

I'm really intrigued to see the pics of Bendho and of the old Jawanese weapon.
Regards
Paolo
Old 16th January 2007, 09:00 PM   #16
Henk

Ferrylaki,

Are those klewangs marked?
Old 17th January 2007, 04:07 AM   #17
ferrylaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henk
Ferrylaki,

Are those klewangs marked?
hi Henk...
there are three tipe of mark : MILSCO, HAMBRUG, VINCE .
These mark written between the hand guard and the blade in italic letters.
I dont have the picture for this mark...the one I have doesnt have any mark.
I believe it was macine made...the mark and the blade.
Old 17th January 2007, 04:35 AM   #18
ferrylaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by paolo
I'm really intrigued to see the pics of Bendho and of the old Jawanese weapon.
Regards
Paolo
I will try to get some picture about old bendo and other weapon from the museum....this jan 20th there will be a ceremonial in Surakarta palace...
washing the 'pusaka'... I already made some appointment to buy old weapon... some dealer even offer my japanese katana...I hope it a genuine katana.
Old 17th January 2007, 07:13 AM   #19
Pangeran Datu

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
....... Bendho is a Javanese word and I do not know if it is found in Sundanese.

G'day all,

Just passing and thought I'd buy into this.

The Sundanese, particularly from Parahyangan (most of West Java), would generally refer to the implement being discussed, as a 'bedog' which may be interchanged with the Malay/Indonesian word 'golok'. Bedog can be found in many shapes and sizes, depending on application/usage, from a stubby wide-bladed one (akin to a berang) to a long slender one (akin to a pedang and most commonly used implement in penca-silat). Traditionally, it was the chosen everyday implement of the common folk and would be as common in households as a knife. Being such a common everyday item, it was usually constructed of soft metal, with the handle and scabbard being of soft wood, such as 'albasia'. So, no Empu needed here Of course, like everything else, you always get fancier versions.

The word 'bendo' does exist in Basa (language) Sunda and refers to the stylised ikat/headgear, akin to the Javanese 'blangkon'.

Cheers.
Pangeran Datu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 02:44 PM   #20
Henk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrylaki
hi Henk...
there are three tipe of mark : MILSCO, HAMBRUG, VINCE .
These mark written between the hand guard and the blade in italic letters.
I dont have the picture for this mark...the one I have doesnt have any mark.
I believe it was macine made...the mark and the blade.
Hi Ferrylaki,

MILSCO is the mark of the american klewangs "adopted" by the Dutch. MILSCO means Military Supply Company, a US supplier of the M1941 cutlass. (Thanks to Ian) Those klewangs where left behind by the US army after WWII.

HEMBRUG is 100% Dutch and made in Holland in the Hembrug factories.

VINCE I've never seen. Maybe someone can tell us more about this mark?

The unmarked one could be a dutch fabricate, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be an american product.
Old 17th January 2007, 10:21 PM   #21
Pangeran Datu

Quote:
Hi Ferrylaki,

MILSCO is the mark of the american klewangs "adopted" by the Dutch. MILSCO means Military Supply Company, a US supplier of the M1941 cutlass. (Thanks to Ian) Those klewangs where left behind by the US army after WWII.

The unmarked one could be a dutch fabricate, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be an american product.
G'day all,
My two bobs' worth:

Klewangs were produced in the US for the Netherlands during WWII. Model M1941 ( a variation on the Dutch model M1911, issued to KNIL).
Much of the klewangs were not yet produced/shipped when the Dutch lost the East Indies and were consequently purchased by the US military for secondary use. Companies which had managed to produce/ship/sell them had them lying unclaimed in warehouses and at the docks. The klewangs were manufactured in the US by MILSCO and VINCE Fencing Co. (not to be confused with VINCE Forge). They continued to manufacture for the Dutch until 1960, when it was made obsolete.

BTW ... re: BENDO mark 'UKI'

It may be that it is not an acronym at all. It is a common Sunda male name (perhaps even common throughout Indo). It may be as well-known as the trade-mark 'UDIN' on the underside of horse-feed tubs at the back of horse-drawn carts in Bandung,

Cheers.

Last edited by Pangeran Datu; 17th January 2007 at 10:35 PM.
Pangeran Datu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 02:33 AM   #22
ferrylaki

Default dutch klewang

Quote:
Hi Ferrylaki,

hi Henk...
thanks a lot for your information. I just call my friend who own a large number of those klewang. I'll try to get a better picture with those three mark/manufacturer. this klewang are too thin and seem hard to be sharpened...but they are not easily rust...the blade it self seem to be clean and smooth...no rust but dull. is it normal for a military use klewang...I notice that some of it manufactured in US for the dutch. there might be several differences between those klewang...any body can help me what differences are they???
Old 18th January 2007, 02:40 AM   #23
Emanuel

Hi ferrylaki,
Have a look at this old thread: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1132 with the discussion on Dutch and US blades. Looks like the same picture as the one you posted maybe the same seller

Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 02:55 AM   #24
ferrylaki

Default dutch klewang

Quote:
Hi Ferrylaki,

hi Henk...
thanks a lot for your information. I just call my friend who own a large number of those klewang. I'll try to get a better picture with those three mark/manufacturer. this klewang are too thin and seem hard to be sharpened...but they are not easily rust...the blade it self seem to be clean and smooth...no rust but dull. is it normal for a military use klewang...I notice that some of it manufactured in US for the dutch. there might be several differences between those klewang...any body can help me what differences are they???
Old 18th January 2007, 03:05 AM   #25
ferrylaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo
Hi ferrylaki,
Have a look at this old thread: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1132 with the discussion on Dutch and US blades. Looks like the same picture as the one you posted maybe the same seller

Emanuel
YES ITS THE SAME PICTURE I POSTED. THE ONLY PICTURE I GOT IS FRO MY CELLPHONE CAMERA....NOT SO GOOD.
Attached Images

Old 18th January 2007, 03:09 AM   #26
Emanuel

Hi ferrylaki,
You mentioned that the blade is thin and hard to sharpen, but it has a fuller, can you measure how thin/thick it is?
I like these blades, particularly the tip, it is very appealing.
Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 03:21 AM   #27
ferrylaki

Default KLEWANG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo
Hi ferrylaki,
You mentioned that the blade is thin and hard to sharpen, but it has a fuller, can you measure how thin/thick it is?
I like these blades, particularly the tip, it is very appealing.
Emanuel
THIS ONE IS ALREADY BEEN SHARPENED...ITS ABOUT 7MM. NOT SO THIN I GUESS ....SORRY...
BUT I CANT FIND THE SHARP ONE...THIS ONE THAT I BOUGHT IS THE SHARPEST AGAINST THE OTHER... I GONNA FIND ANOTHER ONE THIS AFTERNOON...ALSO HAVE SOME BETTER PICTURE. JUST WAIT. .. I JUST GAVE AWAY MY KLEWANG TO MY MOTHER, SHE LIKE TO COLLECT GOOD KERIS AND SWORD ALSO...AND I GONNA TRY TO GET AN ORIGINAL HEMBRUG...TRY TO BARGAIN FOR $55. IS TOO EXPENSIVE OR WHAT ???? HOW MUCH SHOULD PEY FOR THIS KLEWANG??? ANY INFORMATION?

THE TIP IS ALSO BEEN SHARPENED/GRINDED...BUT ITS ALL IN ORIGINAL CONDITION INCLUDE ITS HANDLE AND THE HAND GUARD.
Old 18th January 2007, 08:46 PM   #28
Henk

Ferrylaki,

We don't give values on the forum. Read the rules. I wil send you a PM.

To be honest most klewangs I've seen are dull and not very sharp.

I know that there must be some differences between the several types of the klewang. Differences I have seen are different scabbards and the color of the blade, black or steel. But I suppose those are all the M1941 type.
Old 24th January 2007, 02:44 AM   #29
ferrylaki

Quote:
Ferrylaki,

We don't give values on the forum. Read the rules. I wil send you a PM.

To be honest most klewangs I've seen are dull and not very sharp.

I know that there must be some differences between the several types of the klewang. Differences I have seen are different scabbards and the color of the blade, black or steel. But I suppose those are all the M1941 type.
First of all, I'm very sorry about mentioning the price.
I just came back from central java/surakarta this morning, and unfortunately I dont have a good picture about ' BENDO ' because the museum was closed during muharam. There's some pictures about the museum's collection but in poor pictures. My brother took them. nothing about 'bendo' can be seen.
Old 24th January 2007, 05:22 AM   #30
A. G. Maisey

Yes, it is difficult to take decent pics in the Musium Radyapustaka. It is very badly lit, the weapons collection is in shallow glass fronted cases, if you use a flash the bounce obscures everything. To get decent pics you would need a tripod and time exposure. Still, there's a couple of bendho in the musium. Been there for 30 years to my knowledge. One very big one that legend has it was used to execute criminals. I'll be there myself again before long. I might load up with some superfast film and big aperture and see what I can do.Its an interesting enough collection, even forgetting the bendho.

Ferrylaki, why not just take a pic of the bendo that I'm sure you must have out back of the house? The form of old ones is just the same as the form of the modern ones you can buy in the market. Actually, they look like nothing so much as a European pruning hook.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote