Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 13th October 2012, 11:21 AM   #1
mykeris

Default MORO/MALAY SWORD - SUNDANG

sharing this sword with you all,Blade length From Ganja to blade end 21 inches... happy viewing...Mykeris
Attached Images

Last edited by mykeris; 13th October 2012 at 12:26 PM.
mykeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 07:40 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

I'd say Malay, not Moro...
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 08:31 PM   #3
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I'd say Malay, not Moro...

Agree! What are the spots on the blade?
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 03:22 AM   #4
mykeris

thanks David, I thought so but unfortunately unable to identify its real country of origin, appreciate if someone could help. I took almost a week to remove the 'stubborn' rust. Sajen: the spots were remains of lime juice when performing the finishing. I purposely let some remains of 'weak' rust on the blade to show' 'feel" and age.
Old 14th October 2012, 03:44 AM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykeris
thanks David, I thought so but unfortunately unable to identify its real country of origin, appreciate if someone could help. I took almost a week to remove the 'stubborn' rust. Sajen: the spots were remains of lime juice when performing the finishing. I purposely let some remains of 'weak' rust on the blade to show' 'feel" and age.
I would strongly suggest the removal of ALL rust.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 04:35 AM   #6
mykeris

Yes David, thats very wise.
Old 14th October 2012, 06:09 AM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

I agree with the Malay attribution. Interesting copper hilt.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 12:12 PM   #8
Indianajones

Hi all, the blade may be made corrosionless at the moment, but do 'we' find the blade nice as it is? Personally I find it a moonlandscape and it was probably put in very strong acid to have this pitting; better to have some brown old ruststains her n there than this . . . .result.

Polishing it again -quite a job- would be the only solution to lift its beauty up to some extention is my very personal opinion.
Am probably the only one thinking this way, but I just got so very sad when seeing this piece!
Greets
Indianajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 12:25 PM   #9
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianajones
Hi all, the blade may be made corrosionless at the moment, but do 'we' find the blade nice as it is? Personally I find it a moonlandscape and it was probably put in very strong acid to have this pitting; better to have some brown old ruststains her n there than this . . . .result.

Polishing it again -quite a job- would be the only solution to lift its beauty up to some extention is my very personal opinion.
Am probably the only one thinking this way, but I just got so very sad when seeing this piece!
Greets

Hi Wouter,

I think that Mykeris has cleaned the blade with pressed lemon juice and that the surface of the blade has been already before not smooth since lemon juice isn't a strong acid. But agree with you that polishing would be indicated.

Regards,

Detlef
Old 14th October 2012, 02:04 PM   #10
mykeris

Initially, the blade was full of thick rust al over . I used a lot of coconut juices to weaken the rust. Those moon surfaces were caused by the horibble rust due to years of intimate existence over the blade. The lime juices were used just to clean up and and add a whitish finishing effect to the surface of the blade. I hope everything will look ok when the blade is stained using old sour coconut water. The effect of this will be a brownish color blade just like what we see on old Malay blades. No acid or WARANGAN will be used for this purpose. I am planning to clear all rusts as advised by David to avoid future 'mooning' of the surface. Really appreciate all your views and advice. ....
Old 14th October 2012, 02:15 PM   #11
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykeris
Initially, the blade was full of thick rust al over . I used a lot of coconut juices to weaken the rust. Those moon surfaces were caused by the horibble rust due to years of intimate existence over the blade. The lime juices were used just to clean up and and add a whitish finishing effect to the surface of the blade. I hope everything will look ok when the blade is stained using old sour coconut water. The effect of this will be a brownish color blade just like what we see on old Malay blades. No acid or WARANGAN will be used for this purpose. I am planning to clear all rusts as advised by David to avoid future 'mooning' of the surface. Really appreciate all your views and advice. ....
Understand now. Agree to remove all rust but think a little bit polish also wouldn't be wrong before etching with sour coconut water.
Please keep us updated with this blade. Can you show us pictures from the scabbard?

Regards,

Detlef
Old 14th October 2012, 02:58 PM   #12
mykeris

Sundang blade before cleaning and after cleaning. No scabbard Detlef..will find one.
Attached Images

Last edited by mykeris; 14th October 2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 14th October 2012, 05:15 PM   #13
CharlesS

I agree with the Malay sundang attribution...I'm even wondering if at some point the blade was acid washed like a keris.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2012, 03:01 PM   #14
mykeris

Final Finishing, appreciate if somebody could guess country of its origin: malay Riau? malay Sulawesi? perhaps Malay Patani..? Could we term it as a Malay Sudang Malela? I dont think so because its criteria differs of a Malela. Perhaps a Sundang Carita Blade due to its triple fullers from its base to blade end. It will be great if someone could post some samples which are similiar or almost similar for comparative purposes. tq in advance.. my keris.
Attached Images

Last edited by mykeris; 17th October 2012 at 03:19 PM.