Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th May 2007, 07:35 AM   #1
ganjawulung

Default I n s c r i p t i o n -- in keris

Dear All,

These are some copies of "Inscription Topics" from Pangeran Datu. I copy it for you all, to be discused...

Ganjawulung

(This is the Topics)
PANGERAN DATU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raden Usman Djogja
Gonjo and kerislovers,

may i ask some thing?
did you face "a situation" that after having "a certain keris" your collection increased exponentially?

to kerislovers, i ask the same question. please answer.

thank you

Usman

Amww

Hi Rd. U. Djogja,

The short answer to your question is: 'YES'.

Probably because as part of the family heirloom we have one with the inscription: 'LAA IQRAHA FIDDIEN' (in Arabic script) and another with the inscription:' na twah ram pes dina urang agamaning pare' (in Caraka script).

Strange coincidence, but just before I came online, I got a phone call from a friend who told me that there's a man in Bali who thinks that I may be interested in having his family heirloom as he can't look after it.

As for the word 'kalawija':
It comes from the word kala=time and wija=seed i.e. time for planting seed.
There is another word:'PALAwija', from phala=fruit. In some regions, one or the other is used, while in others, they are used interchangeably.
Palawija is the term used for plants grown on the earth embankments/partitions of paddy fields/fishponds.
At rice-seedling planting time, whatever other 'fruit'-bearing seeds available are planted both to secure the earthenworks and to maximise yield.
Both words are derived from an agrarian society predisposed to symbolism, usually in its simplest form i.e. relating to their everyday life/universe.

So, Kalawija/Palawija refers to something which is not the staple/norm.

Well, that's my input, for what it's worth.
Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Amww

DAVID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangeran Datu
Probably because as part of the family heirloom we have one with the inscription: 'LAA IQRAHA FIDDIEN' (in Arabic script) and another with the inscription:' na twah ram pes dina urang agamaning pare' (in Caraka script).

Sorry Pangeran, but that is completely meaningless to ignorant Americans such as myself who don't speak these languages.
Care to translate.

ALAM SHAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
... but that is completely meaningless to ignorant Americans such as myself who don't speak these languages.
Care to translate.

'LAA IQRAHA FIDDIEN' means 'religion is not something to be forced'. The other one have the same meaning in Caraka script, (Old Javanese), me think.

Pangeran Datu, does the caraka script looks like this?

Attached Images
Attached Images

RADEN USMAN DJOGJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangeran Datu
Amww

Hi Rd. U. Djogja,

The short answer to your question is: 'YES'.

Amww

Pangeran datu,

I also have a tombak where there is an inscription in its methuk. Perhaps, I will upload it. Is it better if I upload it by opening new thread "Inscription in wesi aji"? So, we can focus this thread on Kalawija.

Usman

PANGERAN DATU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alam Shah
'LAA IQRAHA FIDDIEN' means 'religion is not something to be forced'. The other one have the same meaning in Caraka script, (Old Javanese), me think.

Pangeran Datu, does the caraka script looks like this?

Hi Alam Shah and David,

You are correct, of course, about the Arabic script. The implication being that, one must feel 'freed' by religion rather than be enslaved/oppressed by it.
Good guess on the second one! It actually means: Thus it is, that human behaviour/character should follow the wisdom of the rice plant.
Finally, look at the attached sample of Caraka and judge for yourself.

Cheers.
Attached Images

PANGERAN DATU

Quote:
Pangeran datu,

I also have a tombak where there is an inscription in its methuk. Perhaps, I will upload it. Is it better if I upload it by opening new thread "Inscription in wesi aji"? So, we can focus this thread on Kalawija.

Usman

Amww

Hello Rd. U. Djogja,

I have no problem with that. However, I would wait a bit first, to see what level of response is generated before opening a new thread. Besides, there is already a thread about keris+spirit.
IMVHO, paranormal aspects of an object should be classified in the same category. In my experience, most inscriptions on genuine articles (not tourist white elephants) are designed to evoke/invoke/maintain some paranormal energy/activity.
Anyway, if the situation becomes such that it requires a separate thread, I'm sure our kind and generous Moderators will gladly oblige by transferring everything to a new one.
For the time being, perhaps we can prevail upon Ganjawulung's kindness and get him to edit the title of his original post, changing it to: The Kalawija/Palawija.

Cheers.
Amww
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2007, 02:55 PM   #2
Raden Usman Djogja

Gonjo,

I want to upload, asap, a tombak (lance point/top ?) with arabic inscription "laa illah ha ilallah". I just want to show that empus were not static. They influenced and were influenced. Sound...so human with humanity values.

Okay... hope everybody has samples upload the pictures

Usman
Raden Usman Djogja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 04:18 AM   #3
cahaya

Hii. All
This another my (humble) keris collection, any one remember serial movie/big screen movie : "The Saint" , like this

yours comment

thanks
cahaya
Attached Images

cahaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2007, 06:38 PM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

Raden: this last inscription, doesn't that mean: "There is no god but God.."?

Caya: The silver inlay on your piece looks like the symbol for the split sword of the Prophet.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2007, 01:32 AM   #5
Alam Shah

Battara, "the symbol for the split sword of the Prophet" is another way looking at it.

Cahaya, the silver inlay on your piece could be Dewangkoro ("Sun").
This is a controversial motif where the location of the human figure is concerned, as well as its character. This is considered to vary from very negative to moderately positive. It ranks with pamor Tunggul Wulan.
Position and posture of the figure are debatable.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2007, 03:01 AM   #6
cahaya

Quote:
Battara, "the symbol for the split sword of the Prophet" is another way looking at it.

........... It ranks with pamor Tunggul Wulan.
Hi. Alam.
...thanks for yours comment
May be not Tunggul Wulan but Tunggul Wulung (....Wulung=Hitam/Black)

Cahaya
Old 31st May 2007, 03:01 AM   #7
cahaya

Quote:

........... It ranks with pamor Tunggul Wulan.
Hi. Alam, Batara

May be not Tunggul Wulan but Tunggul Wulung (....Wulung=Hitam/Black)

Cahaya
Old 1st June 2007, 11:22 AM   #8
Alam Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahaya
Hi. Alam, Batara

May be not Tunggul Wulan but Tunggul Wulung (....Wulung=Hitam/Black)...
Yeah, Tunggul Wulung... (inherited error from Tammens).
Btw, what's your opinion on your piece?
Like to hear from you too.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2007, 05:25 AM   #9
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahaya
Hii. All
This another my (humble) keris collection, any one remember serial movie/big screen movie : "The Saint" , like this

yours comment
Yes Cahaya,

Your inscription (The Saint), actually is the picture of "sacred symbol" for Yogyakarta palace, until now. It is "Tunggul Wulung". And Tunggul Wulung in Yogyakarta, means the combination of a flag bearing such symbol, and a tombak to wave the flag. (See the picture below, from Yogyakarta Heritage but copied by KERIS Magazine, second edition)

In the picture, it was a scene in 1946 during the reign of Hamengku Buwono (HB) IX, the father of HB X now. Tunggul Wulung was carried in a procession surround Yogyakarta during the pest disease (Ill in the morning, and died in the evening). Once was also in procession in the year 1932 during HB VIII when there had been a diarrhea disease in Yogyakarta, or in 1918 during HB VII when there was "spanish dengue fever"...

I have also a keris, bearing real pamor of Tunggul Wulung in the "blumbangan" or in sor-soran. (Other pictures below). This keris was "rebought" for me, by my close friend Budiarto Danujaya -- a lecturer in the University of Indonesia. Once, around 5 years ago, I was in a "economic difficulty" and sold the keris. Budi saw the keris in a dealer's hand. He bought the keris, for only around Rp 1 juta (100 euros), because he was very familiar with that keris. He knew that the keris was mine, so he bought it for me.

Yesterday, on Sunday afternoon, I "rebought" that precious Tunggul Wulung keris from Mr Budiarto, with the same price of Rp 1 juta. So? Welcome home again, my dear Tunggul Wulung...

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

Old 4th June 2007, 06:17 AM   #10
cahaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjawulung
Yesterday, on Sunday afternoon, I "rebought" that precious Tunggul Wulung Welcome home again, my dear Tunggul Wulung...

Ganjawulung
Con.....Gonjo, I'm happy too .

Hai Alam, some people said that my keris is Tangguh Amangkuratan, but the "tunggul wulung" is new .,from tangguh Kamardhikan 20century
Old 4th June 2007, 11:43 AM   #11
Raden Usman Djogja

wonderfullll.......
samples of undesigned and designed inscriptions.

Usman
Old 4th June 2007, 12:05 PM   #12
Raden Usman Djogja

Guys,

I have said to upload my spear point which has inscription.
Actually, I have a kelengan spear point which has a "scorpio inscription" in one side and a "cakra round inscription" in the other side. However, last friday I lost my digital camera. So.... no chace yet to upload it
Attached Images

Old 4th June 2007, 12:40 PM   #13
Raden Usman Djogja

2nd picture
Attached Images

Old 4th June 2007, 05:36 PM   #14
Mans

Hi dear all....
Discussions and all examples by pictures are very interested
And here I post some pictures too, to make this thread more interesting for discuss. The spear called Sarajantra. It have the spears on the top, and the archer's bow to throw the arrow on each sides.
This weapon is belonging to Surakarta palace.
I thought that Pak Gonjowulung and Raden Usman have more experiences about this spear.
Attached Images

Mans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2007, 05:47 PM   #15
Raden Usman Djogja

I feel that inscription is the same as mine (and in complete version)... there is no god but god.

Look at the kind of gold, I feel its shine is also indentic, isnt it?

May anyone elaborate?

Usman
Old 5th June 2007, 12:25 PM   #16
Mans

Quote:
I feel that inscription is the same as mine (and in complete version)... there is no god but god.

Look at the kind of gold, I feel its shine is also indentic, isnt it?

May anyone elaborate?

Usman
Yes right that the kinatah and tunjung on the Sarajantra made from gold. This spear made on Paku Buwana IX period. It has the archer's bow (Sara) which can be turned (Jantra) .

But the inscription is different with yours. The inscription on this Sarajantra is Asyhadualla ila ha illAllah (I give my witness that no God except of Allah).
Mans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 02:23 PM   #17
ganjawulung

Dear Mans, Dear Raden,

The Sarajantra is certainly interesting for me. In Gedong Pusaka (Pusaka's Room) in Kraton Surakarta (Surakarta Palace), once I saw many kinds of new form of weapons with pamor. I recall one of them, is a kind of "hand dagger" which must be held in a fist. The sharp point, must be in between of index finger and middle finger. It could be a close-fight dagger. Gusti Puger (the kerabat Keraton) told us, that these form of daggers was usually used by the "secret guard" of keraton.

There are also, collection of swords -- with pamor of course -- which was finished in (if I'm not mistaken) Breda (the Netherlands) during the reign of Paku Buwono (PB) X. (See pictures below, once exhibited in Bentara Budaya Jakarta, 1996).

But in Yogyakarta Palace, the weapon is more konservative -- if I can not say as classic. (See the picture of royal sword with gold kinatah).

Anyway, thanks for your interesting post of Sarajantra...

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

Old 16th June 2007, 04:43 PM   #18
ganjawulung

Default (More) I n s c r i p t i o n

Dear Raden Usman, Mans, and All.

Coincidentally, the KERIS Magazine 4th edition published poster on "keris with inscription". Named as Kanjeng Kiai Rapal (usually, Kanjeng Kiai was an atribut of royal kerises), tangguh Madura. (See picture below).

And coincidentally too, there is a topic on pamor "buntel mayit" in this edition. The essay said, that actually this pamor -- which is favorite in Lombok -- is beautiful. And even some people regarded this pamor as pamor of "good luck". So, according to the essay, "it is better to call this good luck pamor as 'pamor buntel mas" or gold wrapping...

This is just an information. Please forgive me, if this post disturbe you all.. I don't mean to open more debate on this topic. Just information....

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

Old 24th June 2007, 07:57 AM   #19
HanaChu69

Talking Cool!!

Greetings fellow keris collectors,

I appreciate keris with inscription and love to own one. I was once offered by a keris collector’s friend a fine inscripted keris with the introductory verse of the Holy Quran. I was hesitant for I always have this perception that to own a keris with inscription one have to be strong in faith and all aspects; physically and spiritually. I will contextualize them similar to that of a name. At times a particular name which is too strong will cause the bearer to have frequent or prolonged sickness.

Please do share your opinion and correct my misconception on this.

Sincerely,
Hana
HanaChu69 is offline   Reply With Quote