Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th December 2009, 03:20 PM   #1
Zifir

Default Storerooms of the Topkapi Palace

These are recently taken pictures of the storerooms in the Topkapi Palace. They pay such a "great attention" in storing such valuable materials that it makes you cry

http://fotogaleri.hurriyet.com.tr/ga...id=29711&rid=2
Zifir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2009, 04:14 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Rust never sleeps .
Sad, but thrilling to look in the back room .

Still, if they had a clearance sale I'd be right there .

Thank you Zifir .

Rick
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2009, 04:45 PM   #3
Gavin Nugent

Default Tears

Tears tears and more tears, such a waste. Very grateful the images are out for all to view though, thank you.

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2009, 07:14 PM   #4
CharlesS

Normally every greedy collecting bone in my body would be standing at attention over these pics....but for some reason I just wanna cry. This is such a waste. Think of how many of the smaller museums in Turkey would LOVE to have just one or two examples in their collections, but instead....this!
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2009, 07:34 PM   #5
KuKulzA28

That's an arsenal of weapons losing to rust...

They could hire me to clean every one of those.. I'd do it.
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2009, 09:02 PM   #6
Aleksey G.

Oh my!... I think im gonna have a premature ej..eja..evacuation looking at these, especially the first several pics with all the shamies

Zifir thank you for posting these. Wow, I wonder if some of the museums in US are keeping their "off-season" stuff in the same manner.
Aleksey G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2009, 10:45 PM   #7
Nonoy Tan

Sad.

IMHO, what is needed here is concrete action. Can the weapons collectors of this country meet and discuss ways how they can provide assistance?
Nonoy Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2009, 11:29 PM   #8
ward

The situation in this museum is normal. In some museums you would find the items in piles on the floor. When you have a large collection there is no way, unless there is a large amount of money behind it that individual care can be taken on each piece.
ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 12:41 PM   #9
ilias

As I see from the images there is no big waist yet but it will be at the future.
I am sure that something will be done to save them!!!
ilias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 02:46 PM   #10
mavi1970

all I can say is wow. Been to the palace many times, and seen the dispayed collections, but never knew about these. Definately next summer when I am there I will ask if they can let me see these. Such a waste. I wonder what there is in the storage of the military museum, probably even more, but being under military control, I would hope in better cleaner condition. And to see all those helmets, shields, bows, to have one of each. hehe
mavi1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 11:43 AM   #11
ariel

If you remember Yucel's descriptions of the Topkapi's "top" collection, some swords were mentioned as having cartouches or signatures that were just erased due to improper "cleaning " in the very recent past. Apparently, the Topkapi's problems may run deeper than just poor storage and lack of regular care.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 10:37 AM   #12
Marc

To be sincere... I've been in a few museum storage rooms, and for what I can see from the pictures this one isn't the best I've seen, for sure... but it's FAR from being the worst . Given the circumstances, I would dare to say it's not that bad, in fact...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 05:03 PM   #13
Zifir

I agree that there might be worse places and museums in terms of storing and also there are other deeper problems for Topkapı concerned. But still it aches one's heart to see all those beautiful chain mails and swords are rusting
Zifir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 05:11 PM   #14
dennee

Like others here, I've seen worse. At least there's some order to it. But I wouldn't hang the mail or textiles. And it looks like there's not proper climate control, given the proximity to windows and even an open louvered vent in one photo. It would be great if they could perform proper conservation on each piece, but it is expensive and time-consuming.
dennee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 03:40 PM   #15
A Senefelder

Thank you for posting the pics. Its always a pleasure to be able to see otherwise inaccessible arms and armour. As others have said the storage isn't unfortunately uncommon, but its still really nice to see the stash. The racks and racks of maille, helmets and kalkans was especially nice ( the racks of maces were pretty spiffy as well ).
A Senefelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 06:20 PM   #16
mross

All in all does not seem that bad, could be much worse. The storage while not optimal seems adequate. Now if they need some extra funds and someone could whisper in their ear about ebay .....
mross is offline   Reply With Quote