Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 13th February 2016, 08:28 PM   #1
drac2k

Default Katipunan Sword and Something else ?

I think I have the first sword figured out; a Katipunan sword that has been converted from a Spanish bayonet.I placed the 2 side by side and the blades(less markings), and the scabbards are identical.The iron guard is typical Philippine from that time period and based on the Spanish occupying that area ,I think I have made a pretty good guess.
The second sword is very heavy, crudely forged,and not unlike a Chinese dao or panabas, but I don't think it is from that same area.I think it was a trade blade or piece of iron forged into something new.It is very sharp, and heavily used.Could it be Maori, Samoan , or even NWC Indian.The shell inlays might prove to be a clue as well as the handle which appears to be some type of coniferous wood and it's shape.
Any and all comments would be welcomed
Attached Images

drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 01:01 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

I noticed no one has replied yet. I must admit, I am scratching my head at these examples.

I do see the panabas blade on an Indonesian looking hilt.

The other sword made from a bayonet might be First Republic Philippines, and if Filipino, from Luzon for sure. If you could trace down the initials of on the black grip, that might yield more evidence and clues.

Interesting pieces.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 03:05 AM   #3
drac2k

I seem to be coming up with some strange items lately; I was hoping someone had seen a similar sword, especially the sword bayonet, that I agree could be First Republic Philippines.
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote